Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

flight near walls

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
stp1134

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flight near walls

i fly a cute little mcx2 around in my house. now it has met the wall quite a few times, i do try to keep it frm flying into them as much as possible.i have noticed when i do get it close to a wall ( in a controlled hover) that the heli seems to pull itself into the wall. is there some ill physics at work? has anyone else had this happen? my theory is the rotor wash is creating a lower pressure area between the heli and wall and is sucking itself into the wall. any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
olefart

Default RE: flight near walls

I also hae a mcx2, and have had the same thing happen. It also does it when it get close to the ceiling.... STRANGE, if you find out please report back.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 AM
twoslick2

I think it is the same effect that helis have on the ground. It has to get up high enough to get out of it's own turbulance. Once up high enough you have more of a controlled hover. I would think it's the same close to a wall or ceiling.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
rhodesengr

I am brand new to helicopters but have a background in Physics and engineering. I see exactly the same thing. My little s107 gets "sucked" into the refrigerator. I have also noticed that the flight characteristics change when it is near anything. I think I can offer an explanation. If the heleipcopter seems to be sucked towards a wall or other vertical surface then the pressure must have dropped on the wall-side vs the other side. The higher pressure on the non-wall side pushes the helicopter towards the wall. So the real question is why does the pressure drop on the wall-side. The blades push a lot of air around. Wherever air is moving the pressure is lowered. This called Bernoulli's Principle. An area of low pressure will tend to suck air in from nearby areas of higher pressure. When you are near a wall, air can't flow in from the wall side, only from areas parallel to the wall. So compared to the non-wall side where air can flow in from all directions, flow near the wall is more restricted. hence the pressure tends to go lower on the wall-side and the helicopter appreas to get sucked towards the wall.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
olefart

BRAVO!!! Thanks for the explaination... makes sense to me.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Jorge Obama

souns interesting.I want to have a try