Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Thanks To Those Who Help Here, I Need Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Thanks To Those Who Help Here, I Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 AM
jpalamaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks To Those Who Help Here, I Need Help

Having received a Protocol (toy) helicopter as a Christmas present from our office manager I've been bitten already. Being new to this world I have some simple questions, tho' realize there may not be simple answers.

I would like to stay with electric, RC helicopters, PRE-BUILT, for the time being. As with the toy I received, I'd prefer, but not mandatory, that the unit comes with a RC control 'station'?

I'd like to be able to operate outdoors. I live in NE Florida, and there are usually light to medium wind speeds. So, size may be of some consideration.

If there is some recommended 'book' e.g. RC Helicopter for Dummies that could get me started (this is why I joined this forum)

And while money is always a consideration, in this case it's not a big deal. I like quality items and am willing to pay for quality

Once again, thanks to all that are able to assist and have the patience and kindness to do so. I am a member of a few other forums, e.g. BMW Mototcycles and it takes a special person to keep answering the SAME questions over and over.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Thanks To Those Who Help Here, I Need Help

C'mon out on Sunday at RC Club of Jacksonville, that will be our meeting day, there will be a lot of people and a lot of helis there.

www.jaxrc.com
Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 AM
olefart

Start with these links... pleanty of info here
http://www.rchelisite.com/how_do_rc_...pters_work.php
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-he...-controls.html
http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v18/ehbg_index.html
When you finish absorbing all of this go to this link and follow the procedures INORDER
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
If you want to, purchase a Simulator program such as Clearview , Phoenix, or Real flight,
Above all practice, practice, practice.
Oh and by the way... you will crash (alot) while learning, so when you purchase you next bird, get plenty of replacemment parts.

A good heli to start with would be a 4 channel Fixed Pitch bird such as a Nine Eagles Solo pro, a Walkera CB 180D, or similar bird. These will fly outdoors in a small (4-5 MPH) breeze.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jpalamaro :

You have the ability to talk to the Helicopter Moderator of RCU personally. I would not let that opportunity get by. Listen to what he has to say. Take everything else with a grain of salt, Including what I say. There are a lot of keyboard "experts" out there. Be specially careful of people that recommend just one brand of helicopter, or people that do not provide reasons for their suggestions.

Disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with the post above. I have not read the post by olefart neither have followed his links. Any correlation from what I said to what he posted is purely coincidental and in any way is a personal attack on him. My post is just a general comment directed at jpalamaro, a person with just one post under hs belt.

Rafael
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM
BarracudaHockey

I'm just a computer/heli nerd with too much time on my hands
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I'm just a computer/heli nerd with too much time on my hands
And very humble too.

Rafael
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM
olefart

If I reply to a thread, I have good reason to. I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but have had a lot of experience with certain aspects of rc helis. If I have an op[inion I can usually back it up with past experience or with documents (such as the links) I provided to the first poster. Anyone who choses to believe that I don't know jack sh*t about this hobby does not have to even read my posts.
Olefart
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 AM
jpalamaro

Well, as N00b and one post under my belt (two now)(my age is not hidden), but somewhat old, I'm happy to report that this forum is about average before a discussion goes OT. Ole fart and those that answered the threadstarter, thanks. Others, thanks for the entertainment.

In all seriousness tho', A RECOMMENDED MODEL WITH SOME DEGREE OF AGREEMENT, would be appreciated. And, I will study the links.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
BarracudaHockey

What's your budget? Thats always the best place to start.

Bigger flys better, handles wind better,is easier to see, and more stable.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
jpalamaro

frm my fone! no real budget constraints othef than good judgment! getting into a hobby with poor equipment foolish economy so feel free to recommend.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Mack66

John,

Do go out to the Jacksonville RC Club. You will not regret it. I did something similar about 2-1/2 years ago here in Houston. I have made great new friends and got loads of quality help and advice. I learned what to get and not to get before getting involved. The club members would give me the shirts off their backs to see to it that I was successful in the hobby.

If nothing else you will make lots of new friends. What do you have to lose? Nothing!

Mack

PS - Please report back here after you go out to their club!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: olefart
If I reply to a thread, ...........Olefart
Do you understand what a DISCLAIMER is? Did you even read the whole disclaimer? Thin skin have we, don't you think?

ORIGINAL: jpalamaro
frm my fone! no real budget constraints othef than good judgment! getting into a hobby with poor equipment foolish economy so feel free to recommend.
I re-read your opening statement. And your request might be a little hard to fill. Most of the electric helicopters that fall in the "ready-to-fly" category may not be suitable for outdoor flight. And most of the helicopters that are suitable for outdoor flight, do not fall into the "ready-to-fly" category.

I'd recommend that you look into the larger coaxials, similar to the Blade CX2. Those are "larger" coaxial helicopters. For the outdoor models, I would recommend something like the 450, 500 or even the 550 size electric helicopters. The bad thing about those, is that those not necessarily come with everything that you need. You might be able to get a store to put together a package for you, but you would have to assemble it when it arrives.

I read this book back in 1989 when I decided to get into helis:
[link]http://www.airagestore.com/books/planes/the-basics-of-rc-helis.html[/link]
I bought a more recent edition of the same book a few years ago, and I noticed that the information is a little bit dated, but the basics in the theory are solid.

Rafael
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM
drobin

It's not a bad thing to have to assemble a helicopter. That way, you know how to fix it when you have an "unusual" landing.Like I tell my wife,that landing was planned,not a crash.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
jpalamaro

Actually, I have been re-thinking my comment regarding pre-built. I likely need to find a Hobby Store that caters to this sort of thing and can help, along with you great folks. I'm hoping the 'build' means 'assemble' as opposed to, FIRE UP YOUR CNC TURRET LATHE AND MACHINE OUT OF THIS PIECE OF BILLET TITANIUM-MOLBYDENUM . . . " . Am I correct when you say build you mean assemble?

Thanks all, have a gtreat weekend.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
drobin

I do mean assemble.I couldn't build one on a bet. But I sure can assemble them and replace parts. As was said before, you should try to contact Barracudahockey. He is the Helicopter Forum Moderator. I wish I was around where he is for help.He can get you started in the right direction.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM
BarracudaHockey

You'd have to move somewhere warm then! My kids live in Marion, I've had enough of cold weather!!

Yes, building is assembling them. Putting them together is easy, setting them up correctly takes a little practice.

We've built and test flown them at the field in a day if you have everything you need
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Mack66

No matter what you do, it is a lot of fun. I bought both my Sceadu and SDX used, and have enjoyed rebuilding them following unplanned landings. You can learn how to build from the bottom up, or rebuiliding from the middle out. Still loads of fun and very interesting.

Of course it's more fun flying, but first you gotta get your bird airworthy. Hook up with Cuda. Seriously. Big opportunity.

Mack