Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

beginners heli radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
vrodlaw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginners heli radio

I am new to rc heli's and i need a good radio. Someone suggested a DX7 but i dont know if its a good beginners radio. I am looking at some of the bnf blade models from indoor to outdoor and would like a radio to control them all. Any idea's?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: beginners heli radio

Why do you feel the DX7 isn't a good beginner radio? It will control all of the BNF models, and grow with you if/when you decide to move up to larger helis.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
vrodlaw

Well i wasnt for sure plus its kinda scary looking compared to the little rtf remotes i have. Thanks for the help i will start looking for one to purchase.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM
guitpic

Hello,

My first radio is a Spektrum DX8...been in the hobby less than 4 months. If you decide to look at a DX7, might as well go for the DX8. That was recommended to me as a newbie and I'm very glad I bought that radio.

Lots of folks look at the DX6i which is a good radio as well. If I was going to buy the DX6i today, I would buy it used or with a kit if I could....lots of used DX6i's out there.

The reason I shelled out for a DX8 is that I found out that having a good radio would be probably my #1 necessary investment.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Programmable radios have memory allocations to allow you to fly many models without loosing the programming. So you only need one radio to fly numerous aircraft. I've been using my 9303 for about 8 years now. (it is on it's 3rd battery pack) and still going good with a spektrum module installed in the back of it. I use it to fly airplanes, helicopters and gliders. Same radio, 3 different aircraft configurations.

The radio is the one investment that will stay with you for as long as you stay in the hobby. If you know you are going to go big into the hobby, a good radio is the best investment you can make. If you are still undecisive about your commitment to the hobby, then a cheaper radio might be the ticket. But a less flexible radio might bring frustration and a diminishing commitment towards the hobby.

Rafael
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
vrodlaw

I think the dx7s is the way im going it fits better into my price range but i notice there are different options you can get and most say without servos. All these options are confusing me such as with AR8000 and the servos. Can anyone help decifer these options for me obviously i have alot to learn.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
BarracudaHockey

In an effort to save some money and keep people from buying things they dont need, most radios are offered without servos.

If you were buying a 40 size trainer and a radio, standard servos would be perfect but you might be buying a 50 cc gasser or a 450 size heli and the servo requirements are vastly different so this gives the end user the ability to get the servos he/she needs without paying for servos that may sit in a drawer.

If you're just flying BNF models (Bind N Fly) then you dont need any reciever or servos because they are all set up in the BNF models. You simply, well... bind it to the reciever that comes included in the BNF and fly
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
vrodlaw

That is what i figured but i wasnt sure mostly what i will be flying is bnf heli's and maybe a trainer plane in the future. It will be a while before i go for the bigger heli's. Thank you all for the help i think im ready to make a purchase.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
vrodlaw

What is the biggest difference between the DX7 and the DX7S?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 PM
BarracudaHockey

Its got some newer features, and lacks a few such as the s only has one idle up, where the original dx7 had two.

I think they are trying to push that as more of an entry level with the DX8 being the mid range.

A 7S is all you really need unless you're really going to stick around and grow in the hobby in which case you want an 8 or a 9503 but price goes up quick. Remember this though, a good radio is an investment that will last years and many many models.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
drobin

Point in question. I have one of the older DX7's. I am using it on 5 planes and 3 helicopters.( 2 450 size and a 500 size). Nice radio.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 AM
helihooked74

Vrodlaw, if you haven't purchased the radio yet you may want to look into the DX8 instead of the DX7 simply because it is supposed to be on sale right now. My LHS told me that they were giving big discounts on it to them and if you could find it within $50 bucks of the DX7 it would be money well spent. The DX8 also has a backlit display and another channel. I just bought a DX6i about a month ago and I love it. I was unaware of the sale on the DX8 until after the fact. The DX6i is a nice radio and I can do everything I need with it but will probably end up outgrowing it in a few years. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 AM
TJ Victor

The 7XII is also good,it seemed fabricated by KDS