Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What is a good beginner rc helicopter a step up from?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What is a good beginner rc helicopter a step up from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 PM
kitson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good beginner rc helicopter a step up from?

What is a good beginner rc helicopter a step up from the fixed flying indoor kids helicopters? One to go up, down, forwards, abckwards, left, right....3D flying I guess but still beginnerish I guess....something I can grow into with intermediate flying.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 PM
flyfisher117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is a good beginner rc helicopter a step up from?

Coming from another beginner I thought 3D flying was when you start getting VERY technical and it takes tons of practice to do it, if your still in the beginner-intermediate stage a heli that performs 3d might be hard to handle.

He makes it look easy [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJs1gBLiuQ[/youtube]

Anyways I asked a question similar to this and I was recomended to start on this heli.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...copter-w-24GHz

Then when I felt comfortable I could upgrade to this heli and use the same transmitter.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cro-Helicopter

Not sure If its what you are looking for but it seemed like a solid recomendation.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fixed pitch, coaxial helis is where I started, then I moved to a Blade mSR. After flying the mSR until comfortable, I recently moved up to a Blade SR. I have only flown it 4 times now, but it is definitely much different than flying a fixed pitch heli - the SR has a collective pitch rotor head.

There are lots of helis on the market, but if you're looking to move beyond a fixed pitch heli, you're going to be looking at a collective pitch machine.

Good luck!

G.Barber
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyfisher117

Coming from another beginner I thought 3D flying was when you start getting VERY technical and it takes tons of practice to do it, if your still in the beginner-intermediate stage a heli that performs 3d might be hard to handle...........
While 3D IS hard, and not what a novice should be concerning themselves on (no denying that), precision FC3 flying is as hard as it gets from my understanding. IMO - 3D is a good thing if you like spending your time repairing expensive helis!
While most state it's nigh on impossible to do, I started flying RC (period) on a 3D capable 450 electric, but if I had to do it again, I'd start on a high end simulator first, then move onto something like a 30-50 sized heli (yep, 3D 'capable') with training feet, then just start with the hover in differing orientations (tail in, side on, nose in) before getting started on fast forward flight - THEN you can take it to whatever level you want. The key I found was just setting a learning plan, and just working to that plan.
The good thing with helis is that the modern transmitter can take a big old 3D heli and make it docile, or it can make it a monster, it's all in the settings! (provided your got good gear to allow that 'monster' to come out)

But to answer the OP's question, I'd look at one of the higher end (single rotor and/or 3D) E-flight micro jobs, small, they have a degree of 'bounce' factor, and if you do smash em, they are very cheap to fix - they also won't kill you if you get it wrong and stack it into your head. It would be a step up that's for sure, but if you got a sim Phoenix also, most are on there so you could just practice there before starting on the real one. From there, depending on your pocket book tolerance, perhaps a 500 or even what I suggested above, 600/50 size or above as the bigger they are, the more stable they are!.