Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

First Heli setup advise

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First Heli setup advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 PM
fleetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Heli setup advise

Looking at entering the RC world for the first time.

Been doing some research and here is my intial thoughts however seek the input, advise and suggestion of the experts here.

Firstly being a novice and never flown before the Phoenix Flight Simulator makes a lot of sense before I take or even attempt to take to the air. Seems I can only see postive comments on this around the place.

The gear I am looking at is a Blade 450 3D not sure if I need a BNF or RTF version. From my research I believe the Spektrum DX6i looks fine as I would like the more reliable DSMX communications. Not sure wheter to buy the RTF or BNF? The RTF has a AR6115E RX which claims to have DMS(R) not sure if this is the DSMX I am looking for? The BNF allows me to fit the an RX with DSMX but does not come with batteries, charger and TX.

So I suppose I am trying to find the sweet spot. Blade 450 3D with DSMX RX and a DX6i (Mode 1) probably with DSMX and DMS with battery, battery charger and Phoenix Flight Simulator. Is there a place that can package this together for me? I live in Australia hence the mode 1, I prefer the throttle on the right it is what we are use to here, that said I am more than happy to buy the gear online and overseas. Just need to be aware of 240V for battery chargers and Mode 1 as I mentioned.

Appreciate any feedback on my intial setup selection and whether you would recommend a different set up. Also where might be a good company to buy the gear from.

Regards,

Fleetz
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Johnnysplits

Default RE: First Heli setup advise

Well, all I can comment on is your choise of sim and Tx. Ihave the phoenix v3 and it's awesome!!! Im gonna be ordering my first heli next week. However, you mention "reliable" dsmx connection..the Spektrum system from what IhaveREAD on many forums and SEEN on youtube vids, Iwould stay as far away from spektrum products as possible.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM
ATVAlliance

Funny...Ive been using a Spektrum DX7 for almost 3 years and not a single issue.

Spektrum/JR is the brand of choice in my club...and no one has ever had any issues.  We are a small club with somewhere between 15 and 20 active members.  Id say that 90% of us use Spektrum and everyone else (far as I know...and it would have been talked about Im sure) is trouble free as well.

Im not advocating for Spektrum.  Futaba, Airtronics, etc... all make quality stuff.  Just no sense in spreading misinformation when there are quite a few happy Spektrum users out there, myself included.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
phillyD

Spektrum here too
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DX7 here...only good things to say...been a great radio for me.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
drobin

DX6 and DX7. Both great. I broke the antenna on my DX6, my fault. Sent it in and it was repaired for free and checked out and re-aligned. It was over 3 years old when that happened.Great service.