Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Getting used to controls after using Pheonix?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Getting used to controls after using Pheonix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
denodan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting used to controls after using Pheonix?

I would assume and think after using the Pheonix Fligthsim, you would have to get used the the controls again. If you kept the same settings, other then changing the Swash Type would yourhelicopter, or aircraft feel the same?

Afterall everything on the sim is maxed, so you accually get used to flying it this way and the touch of the sticks.

Changing everything would be like a step backwards and have to relearn the feel of the sticks again.

I have got used to the feel of using the transmitter on Pheonix, can turn, even do loops, so how differnent would it feel compared to the thing?

So other than changing the Swash Type, and kept the Pheonix settings how would the real Helicopter fly? Would the feel be the same? If so why change the settings?

I know for the Blade 450, the settings are in the manual, but basically with the phoenix everything is maxed, so would persume in real life would be almost as responsive as pheonix.

Or is this not the case? Afterall you get used to the feel using pheonix, so why change them if you don't need to?

So how have people got on transpoing what they learn on Pheonix the real life?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Edsknives

Default RE: Getting used to controls after using Pheonix?

I am also learning on the Phoenix.When I choose a helicopter to fly they put it on the airstrip And I go to edit and maximize every time I change Helis. I just wanted to make sure you were doing that.I am only flying a blade 120 sr and the phoenix makes it seem like the 120 sr can do rolls and loops but thats not the case.I am finally doing loops and rolls and some inverted flying up high.I also manage to hover for 20 to 30 seconds and bring back closer and commence to hover again. I plan to build an align 500esp 3g but realistically I probably wont fly it for a month.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To me...and this is just one opinion....nothing is like the real thing. The sim helps with muscle memory so your fingers make inputs with little thinking because you are "used" to it. The sim is great and very useful to learn how to do certain maneuvers...it's VERY helpful when learning to hover. But I think you will find....the real thing is different. The feel...how you see the helicopter....how the controls feel...everything will be a little different. The good news is....from all your sim practice you will feel a lot more comfortable and confident when you fly the real thing.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

denodan:

Do you know the difference between being good and being GREAT? You are good when you take your helicopter and do an amazing flight. You are GREAT, when you take ANY helicopter and do an amazing flight. I explain.....

Do not concern yourself about how realistic or not the simulator is. I've followed a few of your posts, and I belive you are overthinking this whole simulator thing. This is not to certify you to fly a specific aircraft like full scale pilots do. Just take any aircraft, and make it do what you want it to do. Not what the aircraft wants to do. This should be enough to get you ready for the real thing.

Here is what I do with a simulator... I know how fast my helicopters are. So I find a helicopter that is faster and more agile than mine. I practice new maneuvers with that helicopter because I know I will have the power and agility to recover from any possible problem. Then, when I have the maneuver polished on the fast helicopter, I select a helicopter that is heavier, and slower than mine. And do the maneuver all over again. This gives me the confidence that if for some reason I botch the maneuver in my helicopter I still know that I'm able to recover because I already did it on the heavier, slower helicopter.

Yes, there will be some adjusting of your control inputs, but is not enough to cause concern.

Rafael
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Definitely overthinking the sim thing. The sim will teach you orientation and dial the stick movements in as reflexes. It really doesn't matter that it can't model everything just right, because with what it does teach you it will prepare you to subconsciously react to and correct any issues that arise in actual flight.

Use the sim to practice every new maneuver you want to learn, everything from simple nose in hovering to piro flips. You'll get the timings and coordination figured out and then you'll be so used to the control inputs used to do the maneuver and your orientation throughout it that when some weird little thing happens in real life that didn't happen in the sim you'll be able to deal with it without thinking about it. Don't get hung up worrying about inaccuracies in the sim, just go for it!

The ONE THING I would say to watch out for is vortex ring state, as the sim won't do this at all. It's kind of scary but I haven't crashed because of it. Just keep it in the back of your mind while descending.

Basically just FLY FLY and FLY. The sim lets you fly when you're not flying! All flight time will improve your abilities as a pilot. Try all the different helis, learn to adapt. Force yourself to fly something awful and then you'll feel amazing when you get back on your nice heli! I'm experiencing this phenomenon quite intensely going from my Blade 400 and mcpx to my new 500ESP 3GX, it's just completely blowing my mind. All the time spent flying those terrifying little things is making this thing relaxing and just plain fun to fly
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Johnnysplits

I use the Phoenix V3 sim and im getting very good at hovering and flying everything from the 450's up to the giant turbine models. Now besides using a sim, has anyone here made a training stand for their heli? I see quite a few cool ones on youtube that I would assume you could get a feel for the heli without too much of a crash risk. What do you think?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
denodan

Had my first hover with my Blade450 and it behaves totally different to Phoenix. I can hover and fly in Phoenix, but in real life, you have to retrain to hover.

pheonix has helped with getting used to the controls, but controlling the real thing is much harder.