Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Is the PHOENIX The best Sim?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Is the PHOENIX The best Sim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the PHOENIX The best Sim?

I have that same FlySky 3ch ground radio.  I use it on my Traxxas TMaxx and my 26cc gas hydro race boat.  I bought it about 2 months ago from HobbyPartz for 40 bucks and it came with 1 RX.  I bought 3 extra RX with it just so I would have a couple spares once i outfitted my tmaxx and boat.

Im very pleased with the SkyFly and I was more impressed by it once I had it in my hand.  To be honest Im not big at all into the land/water vehicles and did not want to put a lot in a radio system as I just never use them.  Our club has 2 float flys every year and I can only attend one.  So again, I didnt want to have a lot tied up in a radio so I bought the SkyFly 3ch on price point alone.

The only thing I DONT like...is it doesnt have Model Match.  Im not sure if any other radio mfgr has this feature either other than Spektrum/JR.  I got so used to the Model Match that I almost stripped a servo horn by not having the FlySky on the right model.  Its too easy to forget to switch models in the radio before powering up the RX on the model.  With MM, you dont have to worry about servos reversing and maybe having a larger EPA than the previous model and stripping something by accident.

I own a couple of Futaba radios (Old Conquest 4's on 72Mhz) and they are fine.  I started out with them and they have a GREAT reputation.  But my Spektrum has been no less reliable than the Futabas I have owned/own.  In the end...its all going to be what you like or what you can be talked into by your peers.  No matter what you end up with...Im sure it will work out fine.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 AM
rctugman
My Feedback: (1)

We meet again
really appreciate all the time you have you have given to date..it all helps and I know far more now than whaen I originally posted the thread
Model match sounds a very useful addition by Spektrum..I will no have much trouble in that area me thinks? as I only intend the one good heli...

I am really grateful for your encouragement..it means a lot as you say whatever i end up with will be superb I`m sure
Spektrum back in the race with DX8 and neck & neck with the others

best wishes Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM
rctugman

Hello ATVAlliance it`s you again...
amazing and I am obliged to you as I said before.

I never intend to go to a super event and fly...so I dont care about switching all of my stuff over to the "X" version. Also...in reality...while 8 channel radio would be ideal, you can fly a CP heli with a 6 channel one. So, you could buy a DX6i used for a song and run your SIM with that and get started flying. Then if you feel you will stick with the hobby...buy a new radio later...change brands if you wish too. Since you dont plan on having more than 1 heli...it wont be an issue for you to change over to whatever brand you want. For me, I have like 13 recievers...so if I were to ever want to go to another brand, it would be too costly for me. Plus, Im very satisfied with Spektrum anyway.
This really is music to my ears in more than one way..and agin you talk infinate sense,nit something I am well known forwill certainly look at this approach.

No sense in spending 5 or 600 bucks on a radio when a 200 dollar or less one will do the job to get you started. Plus, if say you start with a 6i and learn...then say buy a DX8 or a higher end JR radio you will always have the 6i as a backup or SIM unit. Also...just for the record. Spektrum Airplane radios come with the smooth slider to change out that takes the ratchet out of the throttle stick. I bought an Airplane radio thinking that I would be flying planes more. Even though that is the case...I wish I had bought the heli version of DX7. Both versions are IDENTICAL in programming. The only difference is the Idle up Stunt mode 1 & 2 switch is in a different position. After actually flying in Stunt Mode I can now see how the position of this switch is WAY more convienient to a thumb flyer like myself on the Heli version over the Plane. Really though...I think they should make them all Heli versions (DX7 anyway)...and make the only thing you need to change out is the ratchet or smooth throttle spring deal.
As I said everything you have said to date is spot on and makes very good sense..I think the reasoning behind getting an 8 channel for my heli flying is more to do with using DJI/Hellicommand + one or two other things I have forgotton about...and for reasons I will not bore you with..I need to go 8-9 channel route or it could become a wee bit complicated...and these items built in to the new heli fo me when purchased and set up e.t.c. .
difficult one to explain clearly sorry about that.

But there is a bit of time before all this can happen..so I may well go out and buy the DX6i as you suggest for the sim
we will see how all this goes a lot to think about and as you say no use wasting money!

best wishes Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
rctugman

Good day Madmorgan
great to hear from you again....
I know you reply was not specifically aimed at me..but I thought you put the arguments very well about the differences in Radios in to some kind of prospective,,,
that little RT sounds amazing for the price.and you can use it as a submarine greta little extra

all the best Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM
TakeshiSkunk

It wouldn't be unreasonable to decide on a high end radio and just pick it up now. You'd start building familiarity using it with Phoenix and wouldn't have to go get another one later. Just take a look at the high end offerings from Spektrum, JR, and Futaba (Hitech makes radios too but I have no idea if they're any good, I've never met a person that uses them) and just pick one that you like the looks of. I think you'll be equally pleased/successful with any of the big three. Spektrum will likely have the biggest knowledge pool around the forums with JR VERY close behind it if not tied, and Futaba will be a bit behind, but still there shouldn't be any shortage of info for any of them.

But yeah whatever you decide to do get crackin on the sim, interested to hear how it goes for you! I'm actually a great deal more knowledgeable about flying than setting up and building and whatnot, and I enjoy helping out new pilots where I can
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
rctugman

hello takeshiskunk
Graet to hear from you again
and I just wish to thank you and the other guys who have stuck with this and have really helped me very much..my understanding whilst still novice is a lot higher than when this all started

It wouldn't be unreasonable to decide on a high end radio and just pick it up now. You'd start building familiarity using it with Phoenix and wouldn't have to go get another one later. Just take a look at the high end offerings from Spektrum, JR, and Futaba
Yes my friend a very reasonable suggestion,,but unfortunately I do not yet have the green backs to buy the top Class RT..and it could be a while and in the meantime of course I need to get time on the Phoenix sim...this is current balancing act but as long as a 6 channel is good enough for the sim
The ATV Alliance suggestion of going for something like the DX6i or madmorgans Hobby King route with one of there Turnigy RTs

I will always be on these Forums..make no mistake and I am sure I will keep you up to date with my progress or lack of it?
this really is the worlds biggest & best Rc Forums

all the best Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM
ATVAlliance

Dont discount theHiTec Aurora 9. For the price and features...its one of the best values on the market, or so I hear. Ive only seen one in person and it was super nice.The Aurora 9had telemetry before anyone else far as I know.

Like I said in this thread, or another one here recently...I bought Spektrum because 90% or more of the guys in my club use Spektrum or JR. I wanted something that THEY were familiar with since they would be the ones training me/buddy boxing me on my planes. Since I am the only one of all of us that fly helis...it wouldnt matter if I had only wanted to fly helicopters. I could have bought whatever...and that would have probably been theHiTec Aurora 9 because it was a 9 channel with all the features I could ever want, telemetry included. I also like the feature that radio has that it will start your countdown timer as soon as you apply throttle and stop it (like a stopwatch) when you close the throttle. Half the time I forget to start the timer on my DX7! lol

Also...the Aurora 9 is touch screen. I like cool gadgets! lol

Here is an ebay store that has them for under 300 bucks (no RX included, have to buy an appropriate HiTec RX to go with it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-Aurora...595#vi-content
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
rctugman

Stop it i am getting all hot and bothered now you have desribed this new kid on the block HiTec Aurora 9 I hope I get some feedback on this one to
Touch screen,I like cool gadgets to..but I never understand um..but it does not stop me liking them

I have now contacted Dell they will get back to me ..but it does not look good on upgrading the Graphics card....so new laptop maybe?
am also as I write downloading Phoenix demo so i can see just how bad this laptop is..

I suppose I need to go for a top heavy Graphics strong laptop next time with dedicated ATI or NVIDIA card
could start off a whole new debate as to which to buy?

all the best Steve

Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 AM
ATVAlliance

We were all at this crossroads when we entered the hobby.  Which is...."what radio do I buy?"  LOL

Like I said at first...any of the major brands will do you justice.  Its just the features may or may not be what you want from this radio to that radio.  Then there is always a chance you could end up with a real "gem" so to speak by going off with a no brand.  Like discussed, I think the FlySky 3channel ground radio is an EXCELLENT deal.  Im not sure if their air radios are as good.  I personally find it hard for me to trust a 1500-2000 dollar model to a 10 dollar reciever and 60 dollar radio.  That could all be mental on my part...but I sleep better knowing I at least have one of the major brands when flying one of my many aircraft (planes and helis).
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Not a problem at all, I enjoy helping out and know how confusing and overwhelming this hobby is when you're starting out. The Logo 600 I mentioned is going actually be my first kit building experience and trying to figure out what parts to get and how to set it up has been very overwhelming for me, and I've been in the hobby for a few years now!

That Aurora actually sounds pretty legit, if it has the track record to back up its features I'd say it's definitely worth considering.

I wouldn't write your computer off just yet, my laptop is from 2005 and as long as I turn off partical effects and stick to photofields I can run Realflight pretty decently on it. The sims can make use of a high powered machine to give you a really pretty experience but I don't think the minimum requirements just to get it running smoothly are too bad. I think there's a demo of Phoenix you can download that just shows someone else flying...but it would give you a chance to see how it runs on your machine maybe. Hopefully the demo allows you to adjust the graphical settings.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I am checking out continually which would be a good choice for the Rt just for the Phoenix sim. 
The cheaper the better for the sim. I have a bud with 2 sons, 14 and 20, and he wanted me to set the younger son up with an MsR heli for christmas after watching me fly mine in their kitchen/family room area. The older son loved it too, and I had to get another complete setup for him. In both cases, I set them up with the BNF heli ($90) and DX5 tx (transmitter), which was $50-60 at the time IIRC. The gamepad-style tx in the RTF (ready-to-fly) version is barely OK IMO, the DX5 gives a much better feel and gives you the experience of a normal transmitter right from the start.

Just want to say that Ive used Spektrum for 3 years and never a single solitary issue.  
ATV, I agree. The club I fly in is small (25 guys) and more than half have Spektrum, never an issue (other than 'dumb thumbs').   At a nearby club, however, they've seen a couple issues and one of the 'electric 3D gurus' has switched. This is in a typical club (70) that flies no more than 5-6 on the flight line. Not everybody switched, just a couple, but it does plant a little seed of doubt unfortunately. Not trying to bad-mouth a brand, just passing along info.

Any radio can have issues, and my impression of RC products in general is that we are all beta testers for the designers and manufacturers. They can't afford lengthy testing and redesign because we are such a small segment compared to other consumer electronics, and because change in the industry occurs so rapidly. This is also why forums like this are important, to get the word out on what's out there. Is someone making a bad choice buying a new Spektrum? No! They are improving constantly, like other manufacturers. It's all personal preference. I happened to start out with Futaba 25 years ago because my instructor recommended it. It would be too costly for me to switch, and I do fly Spektrum for my small foamies, Night Vapor (HIGHLY recommended!) and MsR heli. Spektrum is more user-friendly for programming than Futaba also.

More food for thought, just my .02!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
eddieC

[quotethis new kid on the block HiTec Aurora 9 I hope I get some feedback on this one ] [/quote]

The other club nearby has members using Hitec radios, they rock. They were early on the scene with telemetry as ATV states, very cool stuff. I've used their Electron 6 rx in a few planes, rock solid hardware. Give a hard look at the Aurora 9, it has lots of cool features.

Telemetry is going to be one of the next big things IMO, everybody wants to know 'how high, how fast', plus the ability to monitor aircraft onboard voltage, temps and other stuff. Hitec's doing it at much lower cost than, say, Eagle Tree. They were also early on the scene with modular RF modules for radios, something I've always liked and still use.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice relative to buying radio gear from the start is first to put as much money into it as you can, because if you purchase properly at the beginning, the radio will work with any bigger and better heli that you may get in years to come.

Considering tha most radios have menu firmware that is in keeping with, & the most user friendly with, the gyros, governors, FBL units etc that they manufacture. So when considering that and combining that with the first consideration. I became a Futaba user after years in helicopters because they always seemed to lead in gyro technology (mems), governor technology (GV-1), servo technology (BLS) and control technology (S-Bus) and FBL technology (GY-750).

So if I was relatively new to RC helicopters and moving out of the indoor helis and into the bigger, more demanding and far better flying CP helis, that would mean I had decided that this was a hobby/sport that I wanted to get into seriously. Therefore, I would buy the new Futaba 8FGH. This has the leading edge in 2.4G technology, firmware menus geared for basic control systems to the leading edge S-Bus technology, ditto for gyros and FBL units and for governors etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
rctugman

ATV Alliance

Yep this is all really exciting and I was blown away by the demo phoenix sim and to my utter surprise the Graphic rendering was fine..but and it`s a big but when things start to get complicated I suspect it will not be up to the imputs put upon it when the sim is in full throttle?and I am just guessing.

As you sat RT wise could end up with a jem..especialy since you mensioned the HiTec Aurora 9 you have got me very intersted EddieC agrees with you to.

So we must look at this more closely and work out the pros & cons as aginst the competition
Many thanks

TAKESHISKUNK

Hello Hope you guys do not mind me answering like this in one postI agree with your sentiments entirely overwhelmed is the word! but also very exciting and I am already further along than ever before after only a few days..so real progress..and all thanks to you great guys!

That Aurora actually sounds pretty legit, if it has the track record to back up its features I'd say it's definitely worth considering.
It sure is and I hope to find out a lot more as long as it does not cots $1000/2000

As you will read above have already downloaded the Phoenix sim demo and eurreka it works great will things not alter when you satrt flying the sim for real? if not then this laptop could be fine.

The LOGO 600 was one of the Heli1s I think you may have mensioned as the top of the tree along with one or two others? I must have a look at themand I really wish you all the best when it comes to setting it up all the best Steve

EddieC 1&2

Hi eddie always a pleasure to hear from you...

I set them up with the BNF heli ($90) andDX5 tx (transmitter), which was $50-60 at the time IIRC. The gamepad-style tx in the RTF (ready-to-fly) version is barely OK IMO, the DX5 gives a much better feel and gives you the experience of a normal transmitter right from the start.
so the DX5 or the DX6i? this is the question?

will have to look at all this massive ammount of imfo and try and find a good balance.

Telemetry is going to be one of the next big things IMO, everybody wants to know 'how high, how fast', plus the ability to monitor aircraft onboard voltage, temps and other stuff. Hitec's doing it at much lower cost than, say, Eagle Tree. They were also early on the scene with modular RF modules for radios, something I've always liked and still use.
This telemetry function looks very good

Hitec's doing it at much lower cost than, say, Eagle
Tree.
please can I ask is eagle tree one of these do it all (non RT) monetering boxes that checks everything is ok on board.like temps,batts,I even noticed some electronics that signals with a bright light and loud siren when it`s time to land? amazing

he other club nearby has members using Hitec radios, they rock. They were early on the scene with telemetry as ATV states, very cool stuff. I've used their Electron 6 rx in a few planes, rock solid hardware. Give a hard look at the Aurora 9, it has lots of cool features.
I will certainly be looking at this RT

all the best Steve

Rotor09

I know some of these replies are not directed at me,so forgive me for chipping in now and then.

So if I was relatively new to RC helicopters and moving out of the indoor helis and into the bigger, more demanding and far better flying CP helis, that would mean I had decided that this was a hobby/sport that I wanted to get into seriously. Therefore, I would buy the new Futaba 8FGH. This has the leading edge in 2.4G technology, firmware menus geared for basic control systems to the leading edge S-Bus technology, ditto for gyros and FBL units and for governors etc.
This obviously was the interesting bit for me introducing a new RT to the list Futaba 8FGH they all do have one thing in common as i see it,and that is they are complicated for the novice,,so I would think folk like me who are not normally techno wise at the best of times,would be looking for an RT that offers a good ammount of intuitiveness this I would think would be a masive selling point but maybe i am wrong?

My advice relative to buying radio gear from the start is first to put as much money into it as you can, because if you purchase properly at the beginning, the radio will work with any bigger and better heli that you may get in years to come
as i think i may have explained this idea whilst logical in many ways,is a non starter for me? as I can not afford the very best just now..But will be able to in the near future..I just need a good RT (cheaper) which will be used with the sim once we get sorted out which make to go for..but as ATV and others have stated I can always cahnge RT maker in the future,( as i am only ever planning having 1 x heli,a good one grant you) thats 100% definate.although unlikely as the money to buy all this is available once there are no second chances...good reasons for this.
anyway many thanks

Steve

Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
eddieC

so the DX5 or the DX6i? this is the question
For a lot of this I'd recommend doing a search, in this case in the 'Radios' forum here on RCU.  For simple sim use and BNF stuff like the Night Vapor (fun micro plane) or MsR (Micro heli, also much fun), the DX5 would be fine. Look at the Dx6i for its extra features though and, if you can afford it, go with the Dx6i. ALWAYS buy the best you can afford, without overbuying of course. I like the ability to 'grow into' a device like a transmitter. Far better to learn and grow, rather than have regrets half-way through.

can I ask is eagle tree one of these do it all (non RT) monetering boxes   
Again, please search. Eagle Tree is a 'stand-alone' or 'add-on' device. It's an education all its own, probably best to ignore it for now and get the sim up and have fun with it while you sort heli and radio options.

so I would think folk like me who are not normally techno wise at the best of times,would be looking for an RT that offers a good ammount of intuitiveness   
When it comes to intuitiveness, say no more. Spektrum/JR and Hitec are MUCH more intuitive and user friendly than Futaba. Futaba manuals aren't as thorough as they should be, and the software is challenging. Not impossible to learn, but it's IMO their biggest weak point. The Futaba manuals are so poor, there is a line of manuals (Higley? similar IIRC) that are rewritten in a more comprehensive, step-by-step manner that are very popular.

One really has to 'play' with a radio no matter what, to get familiar with it. It's like getting a new smartphone: not bad, just some new stuff to learn. The key is do it at your own pace and keep it fun! You'll find you retain more if you do it slowly, without any distractions.

BTW, Hobby People (dot net) has a sale on the Hitec Aurora 9 with Optima 7 (7 channel) receiver for $349, $50 discount.

Get that sim running!
Ed

Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM
rctugman

Hi Ed
Good reply much appreciated.
i will find the best I can for the sim ,the Dx5 &6i would both do the job?

Eagle tree sounds very interesting,must check it out.

Spektrum/JR and Hitec are MUCH more intuitive and user friendly than Futaba
there the guys for me and I can still look at the
Hitec Aurora 9 with Optima 7 (7 channel) receiver for $349, $50 discount.
that is an amazing price for something that sounded so sophisticated and well within what I was willing to spend eventually I am told I may require 8-9 channels can this be upgraded?I will check it out anyway.If not is there another Hi-Tech offering worth investigating maybe an aurora 10 xyz?

Yes I know it will all be a big learning curve it was just i did not wish to buy something so expensive but also so complicated it would be demolarising

many thanks Cheers Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM
eddieC

that is an amazing price for something that sounded so sophisticated and well within what I was willing to spend eventually I am told I may require 8-9 channels can this be upgraded?I will check it out anyway.If not is there another Hi-Tech offering worth investigating maybe an aurora 10 xyz?  
A lot of this is easily searched on 'google', specs, prices, features, OK? I'd consider an 8-channel a minimum for a great heli radio, with governors and such being so popular. Some radios do have the ability to add channels, Futaba being one, but one must be aware of added channel limitations, such as not being proportional, some channels may be 2- or 3-position only.

Futaba is improving their software and user-friendliness on their newer radios, so don't count them out. The 8FGS ('S' stands for Super) is $479.99 at Tower. If you join their 'club', you get significant discounts, and free shipping over a certain amount. You can download the manual to see the features, and they have a video as well. Also look online for reviews, I believe FlyRC magazine did a review on the 8FG when it came out.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVCP&P=SM

Google is your friend!  [8D] 
Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: rcheli1

Hi Ed
Good reply much appreciated.
i will find the best I can for the sim ,the Dx5 &6i would both do the job?

Eagle tree sounds very interesting,must check it out.

Spektrum/JR and Hitec are MUCH more intuitive and user friendly than Futaba
there the guys for me and I can still look at the
Hitec Aurora 9 with Optima 7 (7 channel) receiver for $349, $50 discount.

Yes I know it will all be a big learning curve it was just i did not wish to buy something so expensive but also so complicated it would be demolarising

many thanks Cheers Steve
I use the DX4e for my SIM. really for the SIM, all you need is a 4 channel. However, for the REALDEAL COLLECTIVEPITCHHELI you will need ATLEASTa 6 channel TX (RT as you have been referring to it).

If you want the best bang for your buck....I suggest you buy a SIM (you already have) and a GWSSIMcable (anywhere from 10 to 20 USdollars online...just do a search for GWSSIMCable for Spektrum) and finally a RTFBlade mCPX heli kit (the RTFcomes with DX4e).

If you go the above route you will have the SIM to practice and learn all orientations and hovering and flight. Then when you are ready, you will have a really NICE micro CPheli that you can fly inside or outside. While you are getting your skills complete with the SIMANDthe mCPX...you can then be making out your list for your BIGBIRD. And you will always have the little mCPX to fly in the backyard or your living room.

Thats what I would do...because there is always a chance that you might not enjoy flying RChelis and you will find that out for sure with the mCPX. And if you find that you dont like it...you will be out the least amount of money.

Just my opinion and what I would do if I had to do over again, knowing what I know now.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
eddieC

++2 !
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
madmorgan

i havent seen any used mcpx sit long on resale on here nor rcgroups unless they are way over priced so if you find helis arent your cup of tee you really wouldnt have a hard time reselling (unless shipping was murder).
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
rctugman

Hi Atv alliance
yet more good points made great suggestions..which will of course go on the list

If you want the best bang for your buck....I suggest you buy a SIM (you already have) and a GWS SIM cable (anywhere from 10 to 20 US dollars online...just do a search for GWS SIM Cable for Spektrum) and finally a RTF Blade mCPX heli kit (the RTF comes with DX4e).

I can see fully the logic of your proposition and it may well be the way to go,I had sort of convinced my seff to practice on the sim mostly then when time is right go for pro lessons (maybe UK)
but I can look here in Norway for this
RTF Blade mCPX heli kit (the RTF comes with DX4e).
If you go the above route you will have the SIM to practice and learn all orientations and hovering and flight.  Then when you are ready, you will have a really NICE micro CP heli that you can fly inside or outside.  While you are getting your skills complete with the SIM AND the mCPX...you can then be making out your list for your BIG BIRD.  And you will always have the little mCPX to fly in the backyard or your living room.

Thats what I would do...because there is always a chance that you might not enjoy flying RC helis and you will find that out for sure with the mCPX.  And if you find that you dont like it...you will be out the least amount of money.

Just my opinion and what I would do if I had to do over again, knowing what I know now.
If you go the above route you will have the SIM to practice and learn all orientations and hovering and flight.  Then when you are ready, you will have a really NICE micro CP heli that you can fly inside or outside.  While you are getting your skills complete with the SIM AND the mCPX...you can then be making out your list for your BIG BIRD.  And you will always have the little mCPX to fly in the backyard or your living room.

Thats what I would do...because there is always a chance that you might not enjoy flying RC helis and you will find that out for sure with the mCPX.  And if you find that you dont like it...you will be out the least amount of money.Just my opinion and what I would do if I had to do over again, knowing what I know now

You have spoken one heck of a lot of sense since my thread started and i am so grateful i cna tell you,there is nothing I can argue with really..so once again its wait & see

did you see the price of the Hi-Tec Aurora $359 7 channel and they do a 9 channel to//amazing prices hope they equal the specktrums we have talked so much about and the Futaba
A lot of this is easily searched on 'google', specs, prices, features, OK? I'd consider an 8-channel a minimum for a great heli radio, with governors and such being so popular. Some radios do have the ability to add channels, Futaba being one, but one must be aware of added channel limitations, such as not being proportional, some channels may be 2- or 3-position only.

By EddieC

Futaba is improving their software and user-friendliness on their newer radios, so don't count them out. The 8FGS ('S' stands for Super) is $479.99 at Tower. If you join their 'club', you get significant discounts, and free shipping over a certain amount. You can download the manual to see the features, and they have a video as well. Also look online for reviews, I believe FlyRC magazine did a review on the 8FG when it came out.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVCP&P=SM
I visited and read quite a lot at the eagle site very interetsing and a bit expensive I m not to intereted in Video/film e.t.c. the telemetary options look good..but if there are better out there or even RXs with all this imfo on it then that is great.

all the best & goodnight

cheers Steve

The Futaba8FGS  is yet another option,see if we get more feedback on the Futabas e.t.c. 

Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
rctugman

Hi EddieC
nearly missed this reply...
i havent seen any used mcpx sit long on resale on here nor rcgroups unless they are way over priced so if you find helis arent your cup of tee you really wouldnt have a hard time reselling (unless shipping was murder).
  this is a good point also..but shipping from Norway to USA would cost a large fortune (no cheap methods) likewise buying outside of Norway is a nightmare high shipping and high import tax.

many thanks for the suggestion though

cheers Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
ATVAlliance

The HiTec Aurora 9 has telemetry built in...so does the DX8.  You have to use the proper reciever though in order to take advantage for either brand.

Like I said, if I were brand new again, but know what I know now...Id definitely go with the mCPX, SIMulator, GWS SIM cord as the very first RC heli items I purchased.

I wish you luck in getting started with the hobby.  I cant really give you any better advice than I already have.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
rctugman

a GWS SIM cable (anywhere from 10 to 20 US dollars online...just do a search for GWS SIM Cable for Spektrum) and finally a RTF Blade mCPX heli kit (the RTF comes with DX4e).
Good Morning..
I thank you again for your help and good advcie and I am checking out the above and I will take it from there

best wishes for now
Steve
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
rctugman

Just got the following from PHOENIX

Hi Steve if our demo runs satisfactorily on your machine then the full version should give you comparable performance without an upgrade – but of course, upgrading your graphics hardware will allow you to use the higher detail settings. Regarding a radio, you can enjoy the full benefit of Phoenix with only a 4-channel radio (using the keyboard for more advanced functions), but we recommend at least a 6-channel radio for ease-of-use.
So I could go for a 4 or 6 channet RX

To AVI Alliance:-
checked out the elite range all morning they certainly look good and great reviews

all the best Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.