Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Getting more into Heli's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Getting more into Heli's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
ER-95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting more into Heli's

Hey guys,

Iv'e Been flying Co axial heli's for quite some time and have 'Out grown em'. Currentlyhovering a Heli-max Novus FP but just don't like it so much, it has problems... Anyways I want to get a bigger Heli for just outdoor flying! I know the bigger the Heli, the better. There's lots of Heli's to choose from but for the money and the reviews, the Esky Honey Bee King 3 has caught my eye! Does anyone here have it?Tips or thoughts on it? Esky isn't going out of business though right?

I woulddefinitely get the ping pong landing gear! Also what is the best for tail boom wise? Motor driven? Belt? Shaft? I see belt driven is most common in 3D Heli's. ( HBK3 is belt ) Is there some sites that are dedicated to beginner Heli pilots? Like this site called RADD'S Flight school, which im sure ya'll know.. I'll be reading that!

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
ATVAlliance

Default RE: Getting more into Heli's

If you are looking at the Esky HB3 for price alone...then I can see why you picked it.  But, there are better helicopters out there for not much more money.

Really...since you are new to CP helis...I would suggest to spend more and get a Blade mCPX.  Although its a small micro heli...it is CP and can be flown outside easily.  And it will absorb crashes like nothing else!  Parts are easily found all over the net, as well in most hobby stores.

You will actually save money by using an mCPX to learn CP helis on in crash parts alone.  And it will let you actually let you fly more than have it on the workbench fixing crashes.

If you dont have a good transmitter yet...dont worry, the mCPX comes in RTF kit for a little over 200 (can be found under 200 if you look hard) and is worth every penny.  IF your budget allows...go for at least a Spektrum DX6i radio and the BNF mCPX.  This will allow you to customize the settings more than the stock DX4e that comes with the RTF version.

Now that is out of the way...

Belt driven tails are the most popular because they are more durable than TT (torque tube) and really the only benefit of TT is that it is claimed that it uses less power from the battery.  I dont have any TT helis so I cant say that for sure, just what I have read.

Any heli from 250 size and up will at least most likely have a belt driven tail.  Im sure there are some 200-300 size helis that have motor driven tails.  I would stay away from those.  You at least want a belt driven tail.

Also...the small micros will most always have a motor driven tail.  The mCPX I suggested above does.  But there is no way to run a belt tail on a heli this small.  So its all you got.  But it does nicely on the heli of this size in stock form when doing light aerobatic and general scale type flying.  Its not enough for hard 3D but you can upgrade the tail motor and stock boom to get better tail authority.  But really for someone brand new the stock mCPX setup is more than enough.

I only suggest things here that I wish I had known about before I got into spending money on the heli side of the hobby.  I had to learn by my mistakes and it cost me more money than it really should have.  If I had known (and if it was available at the time) of the mCPX...it would have been my first CP heli and I would have saved quite a bit in crash costs of my 450 (my first CP heli was a 450 and Ive crashed it at least 3 times).

Anyway...goodluck with whatever you decide to buy.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
ER-95

I'll take the mcpx into consideration! I see a lot of people like it and reccomend it. What are your thoughts on these heli's?

Esky Honey bee king 4

Esky belt cp x

Esky belt cp v2
Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 AM
RMB677

Avoid the Honeybee Kings if you can.  I went inexpensive (cheap) with an HBK4 and with the $'s I put into it I could have gotten a better heli.  The Tx started giving me problems in a little over a month, and what is supposidly factory set up isn't.  I bought a DX6i and installed an AR6115e onto the heli and am trying to get things set up for stable flight.  Also when trying to find parts many sites are out of stock.  At this time I'm saving for a Blade 450, don't want to get into a T-Rex kit  just yet.

I also have the E-Sky E500, similar to the Big Lama it doesn't have enough power to buck the least amont of breeze.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 AM
ER-95

It's a shame that parts are limited with Esky... Reasonably priced heli's that seem to perform great! I really want to get a 400 or 450 sized rtf heli. Can you guys reccomend some around 180 bucks?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

. i would say mcpx also as it really does quicken your learning curve if your self taught. if your quick enough and you know the bird is going to crash hit throttle hold or drop the throttle and you wont break or loose the grip links  just check for slop on the main shaft push the gear back up and fly ! as atv said if i knew of it when i started and it was out i woulda got the little sucker quick ! i wasnt even going to get one (never really knew about em) till a guy at a hs was talking about em so i got a bnf and glad i did.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
ER-95

How is the hovering and stability?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
scasari

Its amazingly stable and can handle wind up to 20 mph! The mcpx is exactly what you`re looking for. Its durible powerful and in my opinion the best micro heli you could buy!
Thanks, Sean
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

one thing you will want to know is it is a micro so yes its fast and if you arent paying attention it will get away from you quickly. most complain about it especially taking off. my notes to you is if you get it, spool it up  to about 1/4 throttle and lightly adjust your right stick. you will see if its not going to take of the right way (if its leaning) after you make the corrections just throttle it on up and fly. i wish horizon made the board a bit more bullet proof but hey it is what it is , and i love mine . also read through the eflight section on the mcpx upgrades etc. the best upgrade is the grommet mod , the next will be a longer tail . you will save a ton of money if you buy a length of carbon fiber rod and make your own solid tail booms . other than that pretty much anything else you see or read is mostly bling and doesnt improve flyability (except maybe the brushless mod but thats way to much money and added weight imho).