Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

First build, never flown, 6 motors, 3 servos, Camera, LED’s & Strobes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First build, never flown, 6 motors, 3 servos, Camera, LED’s & Strobes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
ins@ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First build, never flown, 6 motors, 3 servos, Camera, LED’s & Strobes

I was just turned on to RC Helicopters last night when someone offered to sell me a Tiger 30 when I was searching for a new hobby . I looked it up then started looking more. I saw a Y650 Scorpion airframe and knew instantly that I found the right hobby.
I kind of always overdo things and this will be no different. Right now I need to know if I am headed in the right direction for this build. I catch on pretty quickly so I think I am on the right track. I am not exactly sure on a few things so I want to know what others think. The build has to have video and lights since I install sound, lights and video in nightclubs. I am very good with wire management.
One of my goals is to increase the carry weight. I definitely want three blade props, I like the look. I would prefer to find green ones but they are hard to find online in the right size. I would like to have green blades glowing at dusk with blue LEDs. I saw the lighted blades but I am not ready to spend that much on blades yet since I am a virgin noob. The airframe manual lists two blade sizes, 12 x 6 and 10 x 4.5. I’d prefer the bigger ones. The ones I have in my build list are black. I slightly increased on the recommended motor sizes. The airframe manual recommends six times 2218 / 900 or 2212 / 980 with a flying weight of 1,500 grams. Hobby King recommends six times 28-XX 900~1000KV Brushless motor. I picked out Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2830-1020kv.
This is my build list so far:
1- Y650 Scorpion Glass Fiber Multi-Rotor Frame 650mm
6- Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2830-1020kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
6- Turnigy AE-25A Brushless ESC
1- Futaba 6EX 2.4GHZ FAAST Radio System w/R617FS Receiver (Mode 2)
1- Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA)
1- USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors
1- Quadcopter Power Distribution Board
3- Single 4mm Male to 4 x 3.5mm Female Adapter (1 set)
1- TURNIGY 8-15A UBEC for Lipoly
1- PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC)
3- Master Airscrew propeller 12x6
3- Master Airscrew propeller 12x6 (Pusher)
1- Turnigy MAX80W 7A Lithium Polymer Battery Charger
1- 9 Mode Multi Colour/Multi Function LED strip with Control Unit
1- Turnigy Twin Strobe light Unit
1- Multi-Remote Receiver operated on/off Switch (9 channels controlled through 1 channel for my lighting)
1- Y650 Scorpion Glass Fiber Pan/Tilt Camera Mount (weight includes servos)
1- GWS SO3N2 Standard Servo 29g / 6.4kg / 0.111sec
2- Turnigy S3101S Servo 17g / 2.5kg / .14sec
I still have to figure out the battery and camera. To start with I will just record the video onboard but would eventually like to transmit it. With the battery I would like one that lasts as long as possible, I will buy two and swap them out as needed. I think I am going with one of the bigger battery chargers. Hoping that means faster charging. I will also add on spare blades. Crash happens so I want to be prepared. I will add on some tools and a blade balancer.
I have been reading a lot since I caught this bug and found the step by step training method which I will use. The ESCs are programmable through the remote. Will the six channel remote be enough to fly, operate lights and control servos for camera pan and tilt? The pan and tilt probably won’t be utilized until I get into transmitting video.
Right now my weight is at 1,496.8 grams not counting battery or camera. I don’t think that zip ties, heat shrink or solder will amount to very much weight. The battery I was looking at is the Turnigy 5800mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack but it weighs 482 grams.
Thanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions.
Frank
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
70x7

Default RE: First build, never flown, 6 motors, 3 servos, Camera, LED’s & Strobes

Wow, sounds like an awesome copter. I hope you don't get it built and then immediately crash it. Are you going to start with a simulator?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 AM
RMB677

Default RE: First build, never flown, 6 motors, 3 servos, Camera, LED’s & Strobes

I'd strongly recommend learning to fly something simple before undertaking a major, and expensive, build.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 AM
ins@ne

I will probably use a simulator as I work on my first build. I also found a very detailed step by stepHow To Fly Helicopters tutorial online that I will be going by. I will be very careful being that I am putiing this kind of money into a build. No running straight outdoors to try and fly it once it is built.

I will probably be going with more channels in the Tx/Rx system as I don't think that six channels will be enough to fly, operate pan and tilt servos for the camera and be able to operate the lights. Whichever one I get has to be able to easily control multiple copters since I am already thinking about my next builds after this first one. I definately want to build a very large copter.