Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

WHen lifting heli goes left.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

WHen lifting heli goes left.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 AM
RcChris1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHen lifting heli goes left.....

Hello, well i am new to the heli world. its a walkera 4# and everytime i go to lift up it just flys left and crash. this is within an inch or two of lifting up...can anyone help ?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM
BrettOssman

Default RE: WHen lifting heli goes left.....

I'd check out some of the free helicopter flying lessons online. Yes, lessons. Flying helis is not as easy as most newbies would think. One set of lessons, for example, is on http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html. There are others as well, but pretty much the same. Also, get a sim, if you don't have one. Can't imagine anyone saying getting a sim isa bad idea.

You'll likely get respones to this problem specifically, but you really need an overall plan.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM
BrettOssman

Oh, you may also want to look into transmitter settings for your heli to tame it down, while you learn it. For example, I just got Blade mCPx, and am trying these settings: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=407020. NOW, recommended settings for your heli could be quite different. I have 3 helis, and each one's "tamed down" settings are different. I'll let someone familiar with your Walkera heli help you there.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

going to the left on takeoff is pretty normal on take off the more you get use to take offs you will learn to use a bit of right input to tame it!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Solman

its awalkera4# and everytime i go to lift up it just flys left and crash.
It is most likely out of trim. Every time I give the car more throttle, it goes to the left. It is the same concept. Make sure your swash is level and give it some right trim if needed. if it is far off, then you will most likely either need to adjust it mechanically and/or adjust your sub trim.

going to the left on takeoff is pretty normalon take offthe more you get use to take offs you will learn to use a bit of right input to tame it!
If a heli is properly trimmed, that should not be the case.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
madmorgan

so all of your helis take off straight up solman?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Solman

Yep, once they are trimmed out. Now if the winds are fairly strong, then I will most likely have to compensate.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thing that could contribute to your heli lifting off to the left is the ground effect. You can get out of the "rotor wash" by lifting off like say 2 feet or more.For me...lifting off was much easier once Igot the heli up QUICKLY to about 3 feet. The blades are pushing all that air downward and it comes back up off the ground "weird"...pushing your heli around weirdly. Now you still have to be trimmed properly and the heli set-up right.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
madmorgan

i would love to see a video of that no hands on the right stick  taking off  and the heli not wanting to go left trim or no trim!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Solman

i would love to see a video of that no hands on the right stick taking off and the heli not wanting to go left trim or no trim!
I am not sure why you find that so hard to believe. Not trying to put you down, but it doesn't sound like you have much experience with heli's. I have a Trex 450 Pro and Trex 600 and I don't have that issue with them.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
madmorgan

not trying to put you down but if you have to add any trim then you need to go back through your mechanical setup!  PEACE!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Solman

not trying to put you down but if you have to add any trim then you need to go back through your mechanical setup!  PEACE! 

You aren't putting me down by any means because I have confidence in what I say.  The purpose of trim is to make minor corrections.  When dealing with a flybar heli, it isn't unusual to make a few minor adjustments after making the larger mechanical adjustments. 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM
madmorgan

yeah well we could go back and forth all day long  your helis fly so great  the op has a problem on take off  he is new  so i called you out since your a hero  and you have to use trim  to get it to fly decent lmao.   i called you out i want to see your bird take off perfectly with no cyclic input is all. sounds like to me your the one that doesnt have a clue !
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM
dadragon

I read all this stuff on setting one up my problem is where to start with putting all the numbers in the TX,I have no idea on the settings.I totally destroyed a nexes 30 about a week ago just trying to get it off the ground.I fly giant scale planes no problem,I'd love to fly choppers I would not need an air field.there is not anyone around to get me started.oh well.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Solman

If you want to do a video chat via skype or yahoo, let me know and I can walk you through it. What radio are you using?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
ATVAlliance

If any heli with a right mounted tail rotor doesnt go left on liftoff...that means you have the mechanical setup off a bit to compensate.

ALL helis that are right side tail rotor, go left on liftoff.  It shouldnt be extreme or your mechanical setup is off in the other direction.

Most of us dont really realize this after learning to fly as our thumbs (and/or pinch) compensates or we just "jump" right into the air and dont lift off slowly.

Not trying to be argumentative here...its a condition that real helicopter pilots have to compensate for as well...given that their tail rotor is on the right side of the boom looking from the boom to the canopy.

A left side tail rotor would do the inverese, make the heli want to go right on takeoff.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM
BrettOssman

What are thesettings you got for your heli andTX, and what TX do you have?
The TX manual should tell you how to enter the settings. If you don't have a manual, I'm sure you can get one online. I could possibly you find one.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Kwekwe

my first WL Toys V911 would go left everytime I took off no matter how much I trimmed on Radio, having raced RC Cars years ago I SHOULD have remembered that I could adjust the tie rod ends on the servo arsm instead of coping with the left pull by adding some right stick. watched a youtube video on setup and Sproing, pop tie rod off, adjust up or down a couple of turns and Voila!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Solman

its a condition that real helicopter pilots have to compensate for as well...given that their tail rotor is on the right side of the boom looking from the boom to the canopy.

Well there you go, we are not flying full scale heli's. A lot of the issues that full scale has to deal with doesn't apply to us. Don't forget that if you are flying fbl, the gyro also compensate for those changes.

If any heli with a right mounted tail rotor doesnt go left on liftoff...that means you have the mechanical setup off a bit to compensate.

ALL helis that are right side tail rotor, go left on liftoff. It shouldnt be extreme or your mechanical setup is off in the other direction.

I was going back and reviewing as to what may be a misunderstanding, are you talking about the tail rotor or cyclic going left? After looking at all the posts, the original post does not mention if it is cyclic or rudder going left.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: Solman

its a condition that real helicopter pilots have to compensate for as well...given that their tail rotor is on the right side of the boom looking from the boom to the canopy.

Well there you go, we are not flying full scale heli's. A lot of the issues that full scale has to deal with doesn't apply to us. Don't forget that if you are flying fbl, the gyro also compensate for those changes.

ALL helis that are right side tail rotor, go left on liftoff. It shouldnt be extreme or your mechanical setup is off in the other direction.

I was going back and reviewing as to what may be a misunderstanding, are you talking about the tail rotor or cyclic going left? After looking at all the posts, the original post does not mention if it is cyclic or rudder going left.
You may be correct when you say that a lot of the issues that full scale pilots have to deal with that doesnt apply to us...but this isnt one of them.

Ijust reread my comment and I probably was somewhat unclear. So let me explain better.

When I said "go left" I meant only during liftoff. This is why some people think that their heli is "leaning" to the left. The reality (model or full scale) is the tail rotor's horizontal "wash" is pushing the entire helicopter to the left(given its a right side mounted rotor). When the heli gets "light on its skids"but not totally lifted off...it appears that the helicopter is tipping to the left or what otherwise would look like someone input left cyclic.

There is only 2 ways to counter this.

1. Lift off very fast or "jump" into the air/hover
2. Compensate with right cyclic input when lifting off (this is what I prefer as I like to slowly lift off for appearance).

Again...full scale helis react the same way. Its something called Physics that is responsible for this. lol

Once the heli is in the air...you dont notice this. ONLYDURINGLIFTOFF. Or if you do notice it...something is out of trim or mechanical setup is wrong.

If your heli is actually turning right or left....then you have a gyro issue or setup issue with your rudder servo/endpoints/ect... Yaw has nothing to do with what I was trying to give input on. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
phillyD

All ATValliance said.
If you use a swash leveler in your set up, and everything is level right through the pitch travel range, you will find that. Sometimes levelers are not used in set up and the plate is a little off in the correct direction,that would make the slow take off drift- to- the- left not as pronounced.
Cheers
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM
hrjrkr

I had the same problem with my Walkera Genius CP. No matter how much trim or stick movement it would bank to the right so bad
that the main rotors would start hitting the floor. After no replies from the Chinese website I noticed an instruction booklet with separate
from the instruction manual, and put these settings with no instructions into the transmitter and everything worked "BETTER".
Hope this helps
Joe
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Solman

Well the original poster hasn't come back, so this worked out well. I am curious as to whether he was talking about yaw or roll. If he was talking about yaw, that would make much more sense.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 AM
ATVAlliance

If he was talking about yaw, which Im pretty sure he wasnt...it would mean that his gyro is not setup correctly or malfunctioning.

I already explained why a helicopter would seem to "lean" to the left when getting light on the skids IF it is set up pefectly level in the swash and all of the rest of the head is properly adjusted.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
rob.rice

22 bucks will get you a sim controller
this web site will get you a sim http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/
at least you will have some idea of whats going on when you pick it up
it simulates the perfictly dailed in 450 with a mild responce
and can be dailed up to an insane it wants to CRASH it can't wate to CRASH 3d model