Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Help a newb pick a helicopter remote

Never flown a helicopter but would like to start getting into it. I dont want to get into the endless loop of upgrades. So I just want to buy a helicopter that will work for a while and wont need upgrades. In other word what I get I will be contempt with.

I have been looking at the Trex 450 pro 3gx super combo. This comes with the barless system and seems it should last me for a while. What's a decent remote in the < $200 price range that would work well with this helicopter?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Help a newb pick a helicopter remote

ORIGINAL: xokia

Never flown a helicopter but would like to start getting into it. I dont want to get into the endless loop of upgrades. So I just want to buy a helicopter that will work for a while and wont need upgrades. In other word what I get I will be contempt with.

I have been looking at the Trex 450 pro 3gx super combo. This comes with the barless system and seems it should last me for a while. What's a decent remote in the < $200 price range that would work well with this helicopter?

welcome xokia! and a nice choice in a ccpm heli, like the inverted flying i see....well i am a spektrum guy currrently using the DX6i, i have used my friends DX7 and DX8, i still not sure i can use all the functions on the DX6i...
    good thing you have deep pockets as i believe going stright to the ccpm heli you will need one you can get parts at a reasonable time frame having read your comment of never flown an rc heli i am interested in you learning curve...i would love to see a pic of your bird when your ready to fly! once you get started in the rc hobby there is no stopping!
    i have planes, helis, cars and tanks!

just tanking around with my helis...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That Trex 450 pro is going to be a challenge if you have never flown before. You might want to consider practicing on a flight simulator before jumping into the hobby with a Trex 450. Or possibly getting a more beginner friendly heli first. There are many opinions in here as to what type of heli a beginner should start with and most would say the bigger the better if you are starting with a collective pitch. That 450 pro is a nice heli...and from what Ihave read in here the last few years....it will be quite a challenge to learn on when you are starting out. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions...Good Luck and welcome to the forum!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys thanks for the comments. I understand there is a steep learning curve. A number of years ago I bought a savage 21 truck when they were first released. By the times was done I had well over $3k in upgrades. It seemed just about every upgrade was $200. I'd kinda just like to jump in with one that has the majority of everything I would want and will most likely be more then I would ever need.

I was looking at the dx6i also,what are the advantages of having more channels?

Save yourself some time, money and frustration and just forget about the 450 for now.

As Ive suggested a great number of times here on this forum, the Blade mCPX is (IMO) the best starter CP helicopter.  It will do just about anything bigger helis can do and its small and you wont hurt/kill yourself or others if you crash it into someone.  Plus, its soo lightweight that it really is hard to break.  It will take the "beating" that someone brand new will dish out to it.  Plus, its fun to fly!

Once you learn with that...then start looking at 450's or even larger 500, 600 or even 700 sized helicopters.  They will fly just like the little Blade only much larger and more powerful...as well as expensive and dangerous.

You really cant beat a decent SIM like Clear View and the Blade mCPX to get you into CP helicopter flying.  The guys at my club (none are heli pilots) are simply amazed at what the little mCPX can do.  They all stop to watch me fly it...and some of them are very advanced plane pilots that can fly planes a lot better than me at this point in my RC hobbydom.  lol

I know having a larger heli is cool and all.  But trust me...you will get frustrated quick with crashing and repairing them.  Ive been into helis for 3 years now (I basically started with a 450) and wasnt till this year that It actually "clicked" and that was the same day that I bought the mCPX.

Whatever you do...goodluck with it.
    SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I intend to dumb down the controls soI dont initially have the full range of movement. If you can't add full pitch or full cyclic movement then you wont initially be all over the place. Well you might but you wont bemoving at speeds that are as dangerous.

So what do people use the extra channels for. I see 6 channels are the minimum. What would someone plug into channels 7 & 8?

Also when looking at remotes I see some that say DSMX and same model but another says DSM2. One seems to be incompatible with certain recievers.
    What's the difference and which one is newer?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guys could use some pro advice. I started putting this thing together. First problem I ran into is the esc. It fits so tight that the capacitors rub up against the servos. Any tips on getting it to fit better? I purchased a dx6i remote which came with a receiver. Where does the receiver go on the helicopter?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it helps, i can post pictures of my set-up on a 450, it's not a t-rex but is very similar in layout going by your picture.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes please feel free to post pictures. Any help is good help IMO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xokia

Yes please feel free to post pictures. Any help is good help IMO
    Yeah, no problem....give me 10 minutes or so

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to say that i agree with ATVAlliance, he gave you very good advice, but if you still want to go the 450 route to learn then you'll get all the help you need on here.

Just to show you a size comparison between the 450, 130x and mcpx.

The 130x will fly as good as the 450 if not better ! It has similar performance to the 50/90 size machines and is just as capable, the only thing it cant do is autorotate.

If you fly the 130 over grass with a slower headspeed you will be able to just pick it up and go again when you tip it over or crash. With the 450 you will be out of action for a few days while you repair it, plus $100 or so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I posted some more close up shots. The esc is under the battery tray. On this one the enclosed things a lot more the I am used to seeing on the helicopters. So there isn't much open space. I'm thinking maybe the receiver can go on the shelf above the 3gx. Routing the wires will be a pita since they go by the drive gear and motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, the wiring can get a bit tricky on these small helicopters, of coarse on the bigger ones it's much easier. It's difficult to see the shelf your talking about for the receiver because the frames are joined, although i take it it's just under the main gear ?

If your concerned about the capacitors on the esc touching the servos maybe a piece of foam tape between them may help ?