Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

new micro heli question

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

new micro heli question

Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
trooper1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new micro heli question

Hello all,

Have a WL Toys Micro Heli V911 and am having trouble setting the trim with the transmitter. Heli's tail , which has a rotor, moves to the left on power up, and the manual is not very clear as to how to adjust the trim to avoid this. Can anyone help? Should I include a pic of the transmitter? It's a 4 channel 2.4 g model that came with the package.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Default RE: new micro heli question

I'm going on the assumption that the tail jerks left when you increase power here. If the heli just spins around to the left the whole time the main blades are turning then your tail motor or board is defective.

Sounds like the tail is underpowered and can't keep up with the mains increasing power. Your best bet would be trying to lengthen the tail boom or putting on some KBDD mcpx tail blades or something. Maybe even swapping out the motor.

It's probably not worth it to address, money spent upgrading that helicopter will just have been money you could have used to buy an mSR or something. With a heli of this quality you can't really expect much better performance than that.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Scrooem

ORIGINAL: trooper1954

Hello all,

Have a WL Toys Micro Heli V911 and am having trouble setting the trim with the transmitter. Heli's tail , which has a rotor, moves to the left on power up, and the manual is not very clear as to how to adjust the trim to avoid this. Can anyone help? Should I include a pic of the transmitter? It's a 4 channel 2.4 g model that came with the package.
Thanks.
i have three and all of them seem to need some trim...personally i think the buttons on the tx are fake but.....since i have yet to open it up my guess is that its normal unless it just spins to the left....at $19 for a bnf its almost disposable.....
unlike the msrx which is very controlable with the dx6i in any direction but now your talking an investment
i like them both for different reasons but to stay in a hobby you must find what you like......

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
trooper1954

I get your point....but this heli cost me $119, not $19, so I expected a little better performance. There are trim tabs on the transmitter, but as in my original question, the manual is not very clear on which one trims the tail rotor.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 AM
ATVAlliance

I get your point....but this heli cost me $119, not $19, so I expected a little better performance. There are trim tabs on the transmitter, but as in my original question, the manual is not very clear on which one trims the tail rotor.
Thanks
If you are in Mode 2 (throttle on left stick) then it would be the left to right trim tabs on the left stick.

This appears to be a clone of the Blade mSR. So, it would have rudder on the same stick as throttle, again mode 2 would be left stick.

Not trying to knock you here...but if you paid 119 for this clone, you could have bought the real Blade mSR for about the same money, or possibly even less now that the mSR X has replaced the mSR.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM
trooper1954

Thanks SpeedDemon...throttle is indeed the left stick, but digital readout at top left of screen on transmitter reads "Mode 1"? Not sure how or if I need to change this somehow?..Also, there are 4 separate adjustment buttons on the transmitter....I assumed these were how to set the trim, not by the actual control stick....what am I missing here?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM
trooper1954

BTW....Tried to add a pic of transmitter.....didn't show up here
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM
ATVAlliance

Thanks SpeedDemon...throttle is indeed the left stick, but digital readout at top left of screen on transmitter reads "Mode 1"? Not sure how or if I need to change this somehow?..Also, there are 4 separate adjustment buttons on the transmitter....I assumed these were how to set the trim, not by the actual control stick....what am I missing here?
Thanks
I didnt mean to confuse you if I did. I was meaning by "left stick" that the buttons around/near the left stick would be the ones you would use for trim. I'll try and make a drawing and upload to explain....

My drawing may not look like your TX...but you should get the idea. The vertical buttons would be throttle trim. The horizontal, the rudder trim

Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35012.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1812496  
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Mode 2 is generally the norm, but yaw is the same between them so trim should still be the X axis on the left stick.

I'm not sure where you paid 119 for this heli, the most I see it going for anywhere is 50 or so and most are 30-40. Are you sure it's the WL Toys V911?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
trooper1954

THANK YOU   All is now clear....sorry for the confusion. Having looked at a pic of a Blade MSR this looks indeed like a clone.
Appreciate the help.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
trooper1954

TakeShiSkunk....reading the description right off the box ..." COBRA RC TOYS"  4ch Copter Micro Series no.V911" and there's a WL logo on the box.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
ATVAlliance

THANK YOU All is now clear....sorry for the confusion. Having looked at a pic of a Blade MSR this looks indeed like a clone.
Appreciate the help.
No problem. Hope you get it flying right.

Dont sweat for overpaying.We all have done the same thing at some point in the hobby. It takes a few years in the hobby to "know" what something should cost you. And the only time you should pay more for less is if you just have to have it right this minute. I still do this when I dont feel like waiting for something.

Anyway...@ 115 bucks...its still on the 'cheap end' of the hobby. Its just if you had bought the real mSR, you would probably find an easier time finding replacement parts. However, I bought my mSR used at a swap meet and Ive not broken it...so if its as tough as the original...replacement parts shouldnt be a big deal. Also, since it appears to be a clone, maybe Blade mSR parts will work on it? Icant remember right off since I havent flown my mSR in a while...but I think there is a difference in the head. I think the mSR has the flybar below the rotor...and this clone has it on top. So, maybe parts interchangability wont work.

Anyway...it should get you through for a while. Once you can fly this heli with little effort, you will probably want to get into 6 channel CP helicopters anyway.

Goodluck
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM
trooper1954

Incidentally, I just came across the details of this heli on HeliPal.com, and if you scroll down through the advertising it has a picture of the landing skids, and states "Take off assist design. The left landing skid is a bit higher, this is to compensate for the tilting left problem" It seems this model has a design flaw that creates the very problem I asked about in the beginning. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM
firstadam2k

I have not logged in here in forever i just wanted to say i have had luck with this heli. I will say the stock tx sucks and yes the tail does slide a bit on both stock rates and high rates with the stock transmitter. I just picked up a flysky and now the tail seems locked in i hope you have better luck with this little heli.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 PM
TakeshiSkunk

All helis with tail rotors have to lean to the right in a hover to compensate for the thrust from the tail. It's more obvious the smaller the heli is but it's totally normal even on larger models.

The angled skids are likely to try and compensate for the helis tendency to slide to the left on takeoff I guess, it's not something I've eer seen before but I understand where they're coming from. In theory it holds the heli in its natural hovering posture while its taking off..not sure how well it'd work in practice though.

We should really have a stickied thread explaining that fp and cp helicopters always lean in a hover and want to slide left, it might be the most asked question and people are always thinking there's something wrong with their heli. I may have asked it myself when I first got into it.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
firstadam2k

Sorry i thought he meant the tail not holding not the drift my bad. And yes ground effect sucks but you do get used to it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 AM
rob.rice

Hello all,

Thanks.
I have a GW9958 it had a yaw to left problem the way I fixed it was to slide the tail boom out of it's holder a lettle then slide the motor holedr off the boom a lettle
it had the effect of making the tail boom a little longer
with out doing that I had to spin it up and push the right trim 17 times every time I changed the battery irritating waste of battery charge I could have used for flying

on mine the yaw trim dose not work unless the main motor is spun up to 3/4 throttle