Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Raptor 30v2 or Trex 550

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Raptor 30v2 or Trex 550

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 30v2 or Trex 550

Gah I'm late. I was going to say I'd personally recommend a flybarless setup. There's less to replace and repair in the event of a crash, and they tend to handle wind noticeably better. There's nothing wrong with flybars though, and it won't hurt to have some experience with one. It's easy to convert to a flybarless setup down the road as well.

I wish you the best of luck! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you
Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
flyer2488

I am sure I will make the upgrade at some point, maybe after 2 or 3 crashes.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyer2488

My main concern with Nitro is the oily mess. How does it compare to nitro planes? Does it get caked all over everything? I know on my planes it does, but it’s simple to clean with a rag and just wipe down the plane with Windex. My other concern with the Thunder Tiger line, the ARFs come with the thunder tiger engine (at least the 30 does). I have always used O.S engines. How do the thunder tiger engines hold up?

Im a little late to the party but here is my take on things. I have two helis, a Raptor 60 v2 with an OS 70 and a TREX 450 sport. I know that they are different sizes than you want but to answer a few of your questions. As far as nitro being a mess, given the fact I only am able to do basic forward flight with my skill level my Raptor does not really get oily at all. I have a 45 degree down silicone rubber extension on my pipe and I rarely have to do much cleaning. With that said, my driveway does get some oil on it. The larger raptor is much easier to fly, very stable and lots of power.

As to my electric Trex, it is a great heli, parts are inexpensive, fixes are fast and easy and no mess to worry about, downside is charging batteries and less flight time.

If I was in your position having both types of helis I would buy the TREX 550 with the flybarless head. If you buy from Heliproz which is where I get most of my stuff, the extra cost for flybarless isnt that much more, the 550 isnt that much more than the 500 considering the cost jump from 450, If I remember right it is around 150-200 dollars more. The extra size will be easier to fly. Batteries are slightly more too but I think worth it considering the size jump. I myself am thinking of getting another heli and I too am deciding between the 500 and 550 TREX. But when I do buy one it will be the 550 for me just because for the cost difference I would rather have the larger heli. The downside to going with a heli over a 450 size is the cost of blades so be sure to practice with simultator as much as possible.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM
flyer2488

Alright, I am little out of the loop with the new advancements in radios/ transmitters.  All my equipment is standard Analog from my early days getting into Planes.  Any Futaba people out there familiar with the new systems?

What’s is the difference between the S-FHSS and FASST systems?

I am looking at getting the Futaba 8JH 8-Channel 2.4GHz S-FHSS.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWGS&P=ML

I am assuming this will work just fine with my Trex 550, but wanted some input or advice on other Futaba Radios.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I don't have any experience with Futaba at all but I know it's a very nice product. I've considered switching over once or twice just because I like the general image and aesthetic quite a bit, and it helps that they've been in the business forever. However, everything I have is running on Spektrum/JR stuff, so it would be pretty expensive to convert at this point..

You'll find Futaba users are generally very loyal to the brand. I'm not sure if we have any here but if you poke around in the plank forums or other heli boards you should be able to find someone that could help if you decide to go in that direction.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

FHSS is cheaper to produce and their "entry level" product if you will.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

FHSS is cheaper to produce and their "entry level" product if you will.