Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First Micro CP Heli

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Kristoffer_E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Micro CP Heli

I've flown the little IR helis like you get at the mall, and have owned a CX2 for several years. I can handle the CX2 pretty well, but its wasn't terribly hard to learn. I'd like a bit more of a challenge, and I'm looking for a heli I can fly indoors.

I'm pretty fond of the Blade Nano CP X, but I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. If I sit down with a simulator, do you think I'll be able to learn to fly it, or is it too big of a jump from a simple coaxial like the CX2? Also, what are the differences between the Nano CP X and the mCPX V2? As far as I can tell, the mCPX is sightly larger, but is that it?

What's the difference between the mSR, and the mSR X? I've been told the mSR X is harder to handle, but I don't know why. Would either of these be an easier step up from a coaxial like the CX2, or would I be OK jumping straight into collective pitch?

I have the LP5DSM transmitter that came with my CX2, but it doesn't look like I can use it with either the Nano or the mCP X. Apparently I can use it with either mSR variant?

Any input/advice/opinions would be appreciated. I've done a little with trucks and the like, but I'm pretty new to helis. The ~$200 for the Nano is right at the upper limit of my budget, but any suggestions around that price point would be welcome. I need something I can fly in the living room, and I'd prefer to be able to eventually get into 3d with my next helicopter, but I'm not sure that's possible at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Kristoffer
Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

Default RE: First Micro CP Heli

A trend I've noticed with this site is that people don't like to reply, however, I don't want to be a part of that. Anyways, practice is all you need. I have a mini cp from walkera and I love it. I crashed it today and had to Order some new parts. Anyways, I was pleased with this device. It's a steal online from xheli.com. With shipping, the total was 167. I recomend this heli as walkera seems to be top tier. It's 3d as well. Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Kristoffer_E

Hmm, really? I've seen people seem to get replies pretty quick in the car/truck area. IDK about helis. Thanks for your feedback; that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've had good luck with E-Flite and I just was offered a DX5e for free. Given that my LHS sells at Horizon Hobbies' price, the BNF version of the Blade Nano CP X would run me $149.99. I'm just not sure if I would e making too big of a jump going from a fairly stable, beginner-friendly coaxial heli (my CX2), to a tiny little thing like the nano, that's collective-pitch too boot.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Kozzy_98

The MCPX is a great little helicopter.

You do need to do a few mods to the MCPX to make it fly well such as the grommet mod and extended tailboom otherwise you get the "wet dog shakes" and the tail doesn't hold as well as you would like to. It handles crashes well too. Later down the road you can upgrade it to brushless if you wish.

A few guys on the thread that I mainly reside in have the Nano CPX as well. They said that it is better than the MCPX but the motor fails after about 70 flights and you would need to replace it.

That being said, I have never flown the Nano CPX and I highly recommend that you look at some reviews before you buy one or the other.

You can fly the MCPX with a DX5e, but I would insist that you buy a DX6i or above. You can find them used quite cheap. The reason why I am telling you to get a DX6i is because you can apply expo and dial down the rates to make it suitable for a beginner. Always remember that if you crash make sure you hit the throttle hold switch before you hit the ground.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to PM me.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't really help you kristoffer....but in response to leafybug saying there is a trend that people don't want to reply in here. I'll give my 2 cents on why I think that is. I have always had GREAT response to questions I have asked.....the questions in here that tend to go unanswered seem to be questions on the "toy grade" heli's. I think most in here can answer questions on Trex Heli's, Blade Heli's, Raptors, etc. But there are so many toy grade heli's on the market that when questions are asked people don't really know how to answer because they aren't familiar with the heli. Also, you hate to tell a person they paid 40 bucks for a heli that is going to have problems after a few flights. There is a reason you pay 100 bucks for a Blade coaxial and you pay 19.95 at 7 eleven for a heli that looks like the same thing. One will last a lot longer than the other and have less problems. Maybe I am all screwed up in my thinking....but I have had good experiences in here over the last few years getting questions answered.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
phillyD

Also what happen sometimes is that the same question is asked over and over and threads on the front page have the same name like What for first heli, which heli to buyetc. there is already a thousand responces to that if they will just read down the thread...... But then again like real2you said i have none of the smaller helis and they guys that have may bechristmasing.
Cheerio
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM
ATVAlliance

not knocking Walkera, but if you have a lhs that sells Blade helis that is you better option for spare parts alone  plus price isnt that far apart.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Kristoffer_E

I'm very sure I want another blade heli. My only concern is, maybe a nano would be out of my skill level since I have only flown a cx2. Should I try a fixed pitch heli prior to a collective pitch?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM
xxxleafybugxxx

I'm sure blades are great. Just wanted to let you know about my good luck with my mini cp. (aside from me crashing it)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got a blade nana cpx from Santa, I have absolutely "o" experience with helis. Been trying to mastyer the hover and I almost had it yesterday, I actually got the feel for it, for about 3 seconds before it fliped over and crashed for about the 150th time. All I can say is this thing is very durable, I've been beating it up against the walls, table , ceiling, ect for three days, hope to get the hang of it soon before it breaks.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

A trend I've noticed with this site is that people don't like to reply, however, I don't want to be a part of that.
7hrs and 6 min had gone by...on Christmas day when you posted this comment. Most people DO get replies fairly quick here but remember that people sometimes are busy and not at the computer 24/7.

Personally I generally reply to stuff I know about so to answer the question:
Also, what are the differences between the Nano CP X and the mCPX V2? As far as I can tell, the mCPX is sightly larger, but is that it?

What's the difference between the mSR, and the mSR X? I've been told the mSR X is harder to handle, but I don't know why. Would either of these be an easier step up from a coaxial like the CX2, or would I be OK jumping straight into collective pitch?

I have the LP5DSM transmitter that came with my CX2, but it doesn't look like I can use it with either the Nano or the mCP X. Apparently I can use it with either mSR variant?
, sorry I have no idea.

If the nano is anything like the mcpx, you'll be able to do all the 3d you want with it. It does take some collective management to keep the tail from blowing out but most people extend the tail about an inch and it holds pretty well then. There are lots of upgrades you can get for these that make them into a pretty cool little heli, but then again it all comes down to how much you want to spend. What ever you buy, make sure you can get parts. So many people buy the toy store heli's, crash and then find out they can't get parts and this turns them off and they never want to fly again. You're doing the right thing Krist in asking all the right questions before you spend the hard earned money.

Have fun.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: a70eliminator

Got a blade nana cpx from Santa, I have absolutely "o" experience with helis. Been trying to mastyer the hover and I almost had it yesterday, I actually got the feel for it, for about 3 seconds before it fliped over and crashed for about the 150th time. All I can say is this thing is very durable, I've been beating it up against the walls, table , ceiling, ect for three days, hope to get the hang of it soon before it breaks.
I'm right there with you, I don't have any experience either.. I'm just trying to get my DX7 set up for it.. Not sure how to program it yet, as it is new to me also.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4 days gone by and I'm finally able to take off and hover the nano cpx, still have a long ways to go but it feels like i'm finally getting the hang of it. The heli has endured some real punishment, damages include, broken swash plate arm (daub of 5 min epoxie fix) broken rudder clip (epoxie to the rescue) broken landing gear (she sits funny on takeoff and battery pops out) and finally the canopy has a crack in it, sweep carpet often to keep the girls hair out of motors.
My crashes are less violent and I have a little more control so now it's time to order some new parts and get her back into tip top shape.
I see an aluminum swash plate it available, I went ahead and ordered one, and also a heavy duty landing skid from an mpx that with slight modification will fit.
I'm too stubborn to and poor to buy a flight similator, the parts only cost me a total of about 20 bux so I think i'm still ahead.
Sorry can't help with your radio set up, minecame RTF.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Bnecaise74

I have a blade mcx2 and can fly it, land it, and take off from any where I want. I also have a blade msr that Is a lot harder to fly it is a lot faster and IMO you have to be on the sticks at all times wich makes for a very fun flight. The msr does hover very well but when you start moving it is very responsive. The Msrx is fly bar less wich is going to make it more responsive I believe, more like a cp heli, but without all the 3d stuff. I have learned a lot with my msr, but now I will have to buy the nano. I would start out with the msr or msrx you probably will not get as frustrated. Those guys on YouTube make it look to easy. Good luck but remember that's just my 2 cents worth.