Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Getting first decent heli- go flybarless or no?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Getting first decent heli- go flybarless or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting first decent heli- go flybarless or no?

I've been flying planes for a while, along with an x525 quadrotor, and I'm looking at getting a 550 size electric heli from a friend. I fly Specktrum (dx8).

Anyway, I have the option to go flybarless, and I'm wondering if that would be worth going with on a first serious heli?

If I went flybarless, controller with auto level?

It would add a lot of expense, but I'm also wondering if having an "oh no" switch might save me in the long run...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Getting first decent heli- go flybarless or no?

Flybarless will handle wind better and give you a simpler head that's quicker/easier/cheaper to repair after a crash. I see no reason not to go FBL these days. Nothing wrong with FB performance, but FBL definitely has a slight edge in performance and (in my opinion) convenience.

I say no autopilot nonsense, it's just a crutch. Only really useful for photography or staring at scale bodies you have no interest in actually learning to fly. Spend that money on a good simulator and you'll benefit MUCH more
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
JeffinTD

I already have Realflight, so I'm covered for a sim. I have auto level on an x550 which is handy, but I guess helis don't respond to auto level as well.

Anyway, do you recommend a particular flybarless module? My buddy uses an s-bus one, and I'd need something that works with Specktrum.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
TakeshiSkunk

My trex500 has 3GX and I've had no problems with it aside from having to hook it up through a standard Rx because I have a DX6i (issue with channel assignment.) It won't be a problem with for you if you're using a DX8, you'd just be able to connect satellites to the 3GX unit. Most people seem to suggest Beast X over 3GX, I haven't seen a huge difference when flying friends' Beast X setups. I guess the issue with 3GX is that some people just get finicky units or have issues on their setups for whatever reason. I mostly went with 3GX because it's what was offered to me alongside my used 500 when I bought it

If I ever get around to building my dream machine Logo 600SX I'll definitely be using V-Bar. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for, I don't think I've ever read about someone having trouble with a ViBar (doesn't mean noone ever has though!). I have a bit of an irrational lust for Mikado however, so take that as you will haha

Right now, in your situation, I'd probably be looking at the Beast X.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM
JeffinTD

Interesting stuff comes up when you search that vbar...

http://youtu.be/hmNPweSFXX8
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
omnidynmc

Absolutely go flybarless, they are twice as easy to setup and extremely stable with a controller like the microbeast. There are some concerns like keeping vibrations out of the controller but all in all, flybars are a thing of the past.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi JeffinTD,

Since you have a DX8 you may want to look to the AR7200BX...[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/ar7200bx-7ch-dsmx-flybarless-control-system-SPMAR7200BX]Link[/link] for your FBL controller. It combines both the microbeast with a Spectrum receiver and really cuts down on wiring. I have one on my 500 and have had no issues at all, plus it was my first FBL experience.

Do you know what 550 your getting?

Use your sim...and have someone who has experience setting up heli's (particularly flybarless one's) help you with yours as FBL are very sensitive and since you are not in direct control of the servo's if the unit isn't setup correctly you'll have a nasty experience with your first spoolup.

Mark
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 AM
JeffinTD

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at the AR7200, but in the end decided to spend the bucks for HC3-sx. 2 DSMX remotes will plug into it.

I figure if the bail out feature saves a couple minor crashes, it would have paid for its self.

The heli is an Align 550. I plan on running a seperate bec with the Align ESC.

I've got two buddies both qualified to help me set it up and maiden it.

Both have seen me fly and seem to think I should be able to fly it, but maybe I'll buddy box...

Out of town right now, but I hope to get a good chunk of time on the Blade nano before the parts come in and the 550 is set up. I know it isn't the same, but things happen fast on the nano so I'm hoping it would at least help me keep up with the 550. At least maintining orientation I would think would be easier.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM
ATVAlliance

Just be careful when spooling up and landing/spooling down if you go FBL. 

The FBL helis are a little less stable during these stages and you can have a "tip over" incident more easily than the FB head helis.  Otherwise, I dont think you will tell any difference between the two with normal beginner type of flying skills.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
JeffinTD

Well the 550e is up and running. Cc pro 20 bec, flybarless, hc3sx, otherwise stock Align stuff.

An experienced buddy did maiden, and I took it up briefly, hovered it around and landed.

It's pretty mellow and stable on the low rate we set up.

After checking everything for tightness and adjusting tail gyro gain, I'm looking forward to flying it more- but a bad cold and bad weather will delay that.