Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dx6i for my planes what is a good 1 helicopter to buy?

I was told a blade 120 sr would be a great first helicopter to learn on. I flew the dual blade ones that are boring like at the mall kiosks. Any other suggestions on a single blade starter helicopter for under $150 that I can get parts for easy if I crash it?

I own 4 planes.
    Super cub I upgraded to brushless I fly it fairly good.
    night vapor I fly great
    f4u micro I cannot fly at all to fast and small.
    Extra 300 that I crashed 30 times and cannot fly it for more then 1 min at a time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dx6i for my planes what is a good 1 helicopter to buy?

Whatever Blade helicopter that you can handle is the one to buy. I have tried Helimax and Blade and by far the Blade copter is the best.

The only problem with small  FP (fixed pitch) helis, are they dont fly to well when introduced to wind.  I dont know about where you live, but here it is windy more than not.  So, that being said...any small micro single rotor fixed pitch heli will be best used indoors.

My recommendation to you is ask yourself where you want to go in the hobby.  Do you just want to toy around indoors?  Or do you want to progress and move up to a CP (collective pitch) heli that you can fly outside and push your skill and personal limits with?

Once you answer that question, you will be able to make a choice.

If you want to stay inside and not go "all out" with a CP heli...the Blade mSR X would be one that I recommend.  It is cheap and parts are plentiful.  It is a micro size (say around a 100 size heli airframe) and is a lot of fun.  More fun than a co-axial I will say.

If you want to eventually get into CP helis and push your skills...I say skip the FP heli and go with a micro CP like the Blade Nano CPX or mCPX.  However, either of these helis will push your budget to the limit, if not go above it slightly.  But, will be money well spent in the long run.  Especially if you pair it with a SIM...which again will push your budget past its limit.

I have been where you are right now just 3 short years ago.  I have learned so much over the past 3 years that I try and answer posts like yours to keep people from making the same mistakes that I did.  If I had to do all over again, I would do it very different.  Simply because, I felt that I should start with a coaxial, work up to a fixed pitch and then go full on CP heli as a last step.  Once I bought an mCPX I realized that I could have saved a lot of time and money by skipping all of the "toyish" helis I bought and just invested in the mCPX to start (only thing it wasnt invented at the time, lol).  The mCPX and a decent flight SIM WILL get you flying.  Its basically what I used because before the mCPX all I could do is hover a heli.  Now I claim to be an advanced novice RC heli pilot...and I keep learning/getting better each and every day.

Goodluck.
    SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Budget isn't really a problem. I started out with a night vapor bnf and a dx5e and in 2 months I'm flying a parkzone 300 and moved up to a dx6i and the workers at the naples family hobby are impressed on my flying skills in 20 min with that 300 i was flying inverted and doing all kinds of rolls etc and landing it no problem the 5 times i took it up. From the middle of January I bought 4 planes, a revo brushless and a blackjack 29 brushless and spent 2500 total including the upgrading my super cub to brushless because it was too slow. I cannot believe the batteries on some of this stuff is expensive, I believe to not skip on the power plant when getting into a hobby. Before this I was building rc boats and running QuickDraw engines in them for 1000 a engine and pipe. But you cannot really tear up a boat or a rc car like you can a plane or heli in a split second. My next plane will be about 1000 bucks, f4u gas loaded with flaps and retractable etc. To get back to the heli question I know the micros are way harder then flying a bigger one but basically I want the micro to fly in my house to get the hang of the basics of hovering etc. then if I like it ill buy a larger size. I also just bought a msrx so I cannot wait to fly it, I have 10 batteries from my micro planes so I got enought power to fly it for awhile. Any pointers on setting this little guy up?

You buying the mSRX was a good choice for indoor flying.

As far as setup, I suggest using whatever the manual calls for.  I dont own the mSRX...but I do have the older mSR and I dont think I had to do anything other than bind it to my DX7.  With the newere "X" model that has no flybar, Im not sure if it will be any different or not.  You dont need Heli programming for it...at least I didnt on mine.

If you want, start looking at the Nano CPX for your next/outdoor heli.  It will use the same batteries as the msrx and its an amazing little CP heli that once you learn to fly it...there really wont be a heli out there that you wont be able to fly.

SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great ill buy one of them today just to get it out of the way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I forgot to ask can i used my dx6i on the cpx nano to fly inverted if I ever make it that far?

ORIGINAL: Osen007

I forgot to ask can i used my dx6i on the cpx nano to fly inverted if I ever make it that far?
    Yes...you can use your DX6i on it. I set up a club members DX6i on a nano just a month or so back. So, I know it works and the manual that comes with the Nano will give you all of the settings for the DX6i as well. So, there will be no guesswork.

A lot of people claim that the Nano flies even better than the mCPX. Doesnt suffer from the "tail blowout" issue that the stock mCPX v1 and v2 do. There is a 3rd version of the mCPX coming out this month (if not already out). This version comes with a brushless motor and should be the best one yet. However, it is going to sale for around 260 RTF (not sure on the BNFprice as I havent seen it personally). Only thing is...it takes a much larger 1 cell battery than the mSRX and/or Nano CPX. And since you already have some 1 cells for your micros and msrX...why buy a model that cant use the batts you already have? the Nano isnt that much smaller than the mCPX anyway. Id say its a 100 size airframe, or basically the same size as the mSRX...and the mCPX is around a 110 size airframe (if there is such a thing)???

Look on ebay for a SIM cable for Spektrum and google Clear View SIM. Its a 40 dollar download and will get you flying CPhelis. This is what I used to teach myself to fly CP helis(along with the mCPX) and for the money, it will be the most economical way to learn to fly over the long run.

once you learn to fly the pattern with a CP heli and can do all of the hovering orientations and autorotations...then you could move up to a better SIM like Phoenix or Real Flight. But for the cost of either of those, you could buy a Nano. That is whyi suggest Clear View. Its only 40 bucks, has nice graphics and the heli physics are true enough to be able to learn to fly. I dont think the physics of it relates too well to learning 3D. But if you poke around in "model setup", you may be able to tweak the model to make 3D flying practice much more realistic than it is in stock form.

goodluck!
    SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the input. I had local hobby store order me the pheonix already just because it has the planes too. I want to learn how to fly 3d with the plane parkzone 300 also I picked the Phoenix so I can use the dx6i and its only $130 unlike the ones that come with the controllers form175 and up. I think the call of duty gaming and ps3 is why I can pick up the flying easier then a normal person.

I just recently got Phoenix myself.  I like it better than Clear View...and I have been an advocate of that SIM since I got into the hobby 3 years ago.

Dont get me wrong...I still think Clear View is a bargain for as nice and realistic SIM that it is, and only for 40 bucks...which leaves you at least 90 dollars to spend elsewhere when just learning.  But, the Phoenix SIM really outshines it when trying to learn 3D manuvers.  The helis in Phoenix not only look a bit nicer (as well as the maps too)...but they just feel much more powerful and manuverable.  Just more realistic overall.

Im sure if you poked and prodded under the hood of Clear View in model setup...you could tune the helis there to be more powerful/responsive.  But out of the box...Phoenix is the better SIM for advanced learning.

just my .02's
    SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com