Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Beginner wanting to go from BL120SR to BL130X

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner wanting to go from BL120SR to BL130X

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
meridianclocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner wanting to go from BL120SR to BL130X

Hi I'm a beginner to helicopters and I have a Blade 120SR that I can fly inside my house / living room. I am thinking of buying a Blade 130X and was wondering how much harder they are to fly? I have a Blade 450 3D basic that I haven't flown yet but would like to practice indoors with a 130X Can anyone tell me what the transition from 120 to 130 would be like?

Thank you
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
dooleyje

Default RE: Beginner wanting to go from BL120SR to BL130X

Get the Nano or the new Mcpx BL. The 130x has a few problems that need upgrades before you can even fly them. Not worth it.[&o]

The Nano is a hoot to fly and can handle the wind nicely. The new MCPXBL is larger than the V1 V2 MCPX and is 500% the better of the MCPX offerings. If you act now you can get a 300x for about cost of the 7200bx flybarless unit. Great flying helicopter. Cheaper than the 130x. . PM me

I suggest you go with them instead of the 130x

Jim
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Solman

If you have a 450 and have been practicing with the 120, don't be scared. Facts be known, you will eventually crash. It is a fact and I have done it many times. You have a perfectly good next step, don't be afraid. If you really want to invest into something else, get a sim. It is an excellent tool to have. I personally like the Phoenix. Flying heli's is all about muscle memory. When you can do it on the sim without thinking, you are ready to try it on the real thing.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM
meridianclocks

ORIGINAL: Solman

If you have a 450 and have been practicing with the 120, don't be scared. Facts be known, you will eventually crash. It is a fact and I have done it many times. You have a perfectly good next step, don't be afraid. If you really want to invest into something else, get a sim. It is an excellent tool to have. I personally like the Phoenix. Flying heli's is all about muscle memory. When you can do it on the sim without thinking, you are ready to try it on the real thing.

The reason I was thinking of the 130 was to fly indoors. There just isn't enough room in the house for my 450! :-)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
jackeylewis

well, i think you need more time to test the BL130X, prractice more and more.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Solman

For what you are wanting to do indoors, I don't see how the 130 will help you. Like I said, a good sim will do you much more justice.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 AM
ATVAlliance

I think that trying to learn to fly a CP heli indoors with the 130X...isnt such a good idea unless you are in a gymnasium or very large garage.

The Nano CPX or either of the MCPX will be better suited.  And even with those it will be a large task.  Those helis are like trying to control humming birds on crack!  lol  Its just when you do crash them, they are very resilient and rarely suffer any major damage.

The mCPX gave me the confidence to fly CP helis.  I had been in the hovering around stage for over a year before getting it.  But, I never really fly it inside.  Most of my flying inside is with my mQX quad or my mSR FP heli.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM
meridianclocks

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

I think that trying to learn to fly a CP heli indoors with the 130X...isnt such a good idea unless you are in a gymnasium or very large garage.

The Nano CPX or either of the MCPX will be better suited. And even with those it will be a large task. Those helis are like trying to control humming birds on crack! lol Its just when you do crash them, they are very resilient and rarely suffer any major damage.

The mCPX gave me the confidence to fly CP helis. I had been in the hovering around stage for over a year before getting it. But, I never really fly it inside. Most of my flying inside is with my mQX quad or my mSR FP heli.

Thank you all for the help!

The reason I chose the 130X is because a friend of mine wants to swap his brand new unused one for an old RC engine that I own. I've got it now and I'm trying to hover in a space thats only 11' x 11' with 8ft ceiling. As you told me this thing IS like a humming bird on crack! Well I've managed to fly it for 6 battery charges and I think I still have aprox 90% of the plastic tail rotor gear left so I'm happy. I set the factory recommended settings on one of the models on my radio then set another model with beginner settings I found on the net. I'm still on the beginner settings in the house so the heli is really soft. As soon as I get more experienced or into a larger area then I'll switch to the factory settings :-) When it's on constant speed, collective pitch mode in my small space it's quite a handful!! It's not impossible but boy it sure is an RC heart attack waiting for a place to happen!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
ATVAlliance

Yeah...I can imagine your "pucker factor".  lol

Once you can get it outside...will you really be able to tell the capabilities of the helicopter.  I can hover my mCPX around inside, but it can take off so fast in any direction that I never try to fly a circuit with it in the house.  Outside, I can open it up and fly it really well.  Even the mCPX probably can get up to around 15 or 20 mph and quite fast!

These smaller micro type helis serve a great purpose because they are soo tough.  You can crash multiple times given you can get on the TH switch pretty quickly and not break anything.  Be back flying in as long as it takes to walk over and pick it up off the ground.

Having that piece of mind really improved my flying as it gave me more confidence to try to fly because I wasnt afraid of crashing and causing myself a bunch of down time waiting on parts and then repairing the damage.  Now, there isnt a heli that I own that I cant fly.  Something I couldnt do until I bought my micro CP heli.

Keep practicing.  A SIM will also help you leaps and bounds.

Goodluck!