Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Which Heli to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Hickfarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Heli to buy?

So I want to buy a cheap, but yet durable electric helicopter to mess around with instead of crashing a 1000$ Raptor 50. I was looking in the 100$-300$ range for the helicopter. I am willing to buy a pricey 6 or 8 channel Transmitter to go along with it. so I can keep it for all the helicopters I move up in. Seems it would be good to learn on one Transmitter and use the same one on all the helicopters.

My goal is to build and fly a Raptor Titan 50 helicopter in the future.

But i have no experience at all in helicopters on building or flying them yet. I have a T-Maxx 3.3 truck, that is the only experience i have in the R/C hobby scene.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Which Heli to buy?

A DX8 is a good all around radio and will carry you for a long time.

You might be interested in knowing that a well setup Raptor and a simulator will do you a lot more good than a 200 dollar heli thats a pain in ear to fly and you're always messing with. Also, the bigger they are the better they fly, the more stable they are, and the easier they are to see.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Hickfarm

That DX8 transmitter looks good. Is it just as good if not better then a Futaba one? I understand that a bigger helicopter can be more stable. But i just don't want to spend hours upon hours building it and then crash it. I don't know anybody else who flys R/C helicopters to help show me the basics so I am stuck teaching myself. I could spend 500$ on an electric one. I just want a good prebuilt to test out before I invest so much money into one.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

You might be interested in knowing that a well setup Raptor and a simulator will do you a lot more good than a 200 dollar heli thats a pain in ear to fly and you're always messing with.
+1

When it comes to transmitters, you'll find many opinions. Personally, I've always had JR and I love how it feels every time I pick it up.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Hickfarm

Since you are all saying to get a simulator.  Can you actually hook up a transmitter to a PC and use it as a controller?  Also what simulator program out there is good?  I am still wanting to get an electric helicopter to have fun with in the meantime.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
karlik

ORIGINAL: Hickfarm

Since you are all saying to get a simulator. Can you actually hook up a transmitter to a PC and use it as a controller? Also what simulator program out there is good? I am still wanting to get an electric helicopter to have fun with in the meantime.
Phoenix uses real transmitters. I believe Realflight uses it's own controller ? I've tried and not so crazy about the much less expensive clearview - in my oppinion you get what you pay for, but as they say - your mileage may vary.
I'm not real sure what your weather is like on the right coast, but here on the left coast we get lots of wind and rain. I've been out flying twice in the last 6 weeks. With that in mind, a small indoor like one of the blade CP helis (which would use that DX8) might be something to at least consider.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Hickfarm

I actually live in the Midwest and the weather is mostly calm,  just a lot of wind at times.  I am currently bidding on a helicopter on ebay.  Raptor 32.  I am thinking it has a raptor 30 body just with a different engine.  

I would rather buy a 170$ helicopter and mess with it instead of spending that much on the real flight software.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get that Raptor 30, put training gear on it and go slow. You'll be hovering in know time.