Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New member looking for a decent helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New member looking for a decent helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM
DoubleXz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member looking for a decent helicopter

Hello guys, I am interested in these helicopters to capture and record things from the air. I want to attach a small goPro camera to the bottom of the RC heli. I'm not looking for another expensive, just cheap and will hold the camera well. Iknow nothing about RChelicopters, so I don't even know where to begin looking for one suited for me. Not sure what the maxium weight a RC heli can hold.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 AM
ATVAlliance

Default RE: New member looking for a decent helicopter

If you can hold off a few months, Blade is coming out with a GoPro compatible Quad Rotor.  Its called the Blade 350QX.  Do a Google search if you want to find out more about it.

It will sell RTF for under 500 bucks.  I think at the present the pricing is...

469.00 for RTF
419.00 for BNF

IMO...I think this would be the ONLY way to go on the inexpensive route for attaching a GoPro cam and not knowing ANYTHING about helis and just want something that "just works" out of the box with no tweaking.

just my opinion though.

goodluck
Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM
DoubleXz

Thank you for your reply.

I did some research and it seems that the quad drones are better to hold a camera with, I do understand it is more stable that way. But I want to get a helicopter anyway. I search up a Trex Clone, its a pretty big heli but it was told to hold the camera with.

I know nothing about tinkering helicopters but I'm willing to get into it. I can probably get a trex clone off ebay for about 100 bucks, but it will require my own radio, receiver, batteries and etc. I have no idea what those things are.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: DoubleXz

Thank you for your reply.

I did some research and it seems that the quad drones are better to hold a camera with, I do understand it is more stable that way. But I want to get a helicopter anyway. I search up a Trex Clone, its a pretty big heli but it was told to hold the camera with.

I know nothing about tinkering helicopters but I'm willing to get into it. I can probably get a trex clone off ebay for about 100 bucks, but it will require my own radio, receiver, batteries and etc. I have no idea what those things are.
Im not saying to stay away from clones as I have several of them myself. However, since you are brand new to helis...you should know that getting a heli flying correctly is A LOT more than just buying the parts and bolting the kit together. I have been at helis now for 3 years and am just now getting comfortable with the setup process and Im sure I am still taking a lot more time than someone that is experienced. A lot of that (on my part) is because I am the only heli flyer in our club and I have had to go it all alone with no mentoring. You may or may not be at the same advantage/disadvantage of that as I am.

All of that said. If you want to use a heli for a camera platform, you should not look for anything less than 600 size. And for the cost of building a 600 or 700...the new quad rotor Blade 350QX would be WAY less expensive.

If you want to learn to fly helis...I suggest you start out with a micro like the mCPX and a SIM such as Clear View or Phoenix. Learning to just hover a CP heli has a pretty steep learning curve, learning to fly one around the sky even steeper, and doing 3D tricks and stunts...even steeper yet.

But, at the end of the day its your money and desire to do what you wish. Just be safe in your quest. A helicopter even as small as a 450 could potentially KILL you or bystanders.

Goodluck