Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Basic Advice for RC Heli Beginners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Basic Advice for RC Heli Beginners

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange things are happening

I did not change anything . All I did is apply the power to the transmitter and then connect the battery on the heli.

Now the swashplate is all over the place, the sevos do not center; they are more like going to their mechanical limits. They respond to commands and then return to anywhere but center.

I have a major control problem. I am beginning to wonder if my computer is interfering with this receiver in the heli. I am now recharging the batteries then I will try things with the computer turned off.

The servos and pitch directions are per the manual. I verified that.

Talked to you guys later.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-28-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Zor
Banned

Default A few things straightened out

Hi guys,

Just spent the last couple of hours going through the receiver setup again.
I am now back to what I think is a normal condition and still have no idea what went wrong.

The F position in the setting is the only thing I changed. That is the tail servo sensor direction.
It now works fine.

I went through the setup with my computer on and working so I could compare the settings between the 300 X manual and the AR7200BX manual seen on my monitor screen.

There are still some items not clear in my mind. Example on setup position J they call for 6 degrees but I do not see any direction. Is it 6 degrees of positive pitch angle or is it negative ? I set it up positive.

The swashplate is going in the proper directions when commanded from the Tx and I am able to observe the gyros action when manually disturbed in attitude. The corrections (servo action from the gyros) are going in the proper direction.

I wish I knew what happened to mess things up.
I still do not know if the TX should be in the throttled hold position while doing (checking) the receiver setup.

I often threw the hold switch over and it seemed to have no difference.

I now feel better

Zor
Old 04-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Zor
Banned

Anyone out there using a Spektrum AR7200BX receiver ?

Zor
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point you should probably call Horizon Hobby and have them help you figure it out. It sounds like you need the experts
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Experts ?

Originally Posted by GBLynden

At this point you should probably call Horizon Hobby and have them help you figure it out. It sounds like you need the experts
Hi GBLynden,

I am glad to read your recommendation and the trust you have in the Horizon Hobby experts.
Fellows there have to provide some answer nearly all the time.

When they receive a question or demand for help in writing most of the time they just select a pre-written text to email back. They do not have time to compose (type) a reply. Once only, a long time ago I emailed them with a question. Their reply had nothing to do with my question. Either my question was not understood, although clearly written, or they selected the wrong pre-written text to email back.

In this case I already did what you are kindly suggesting. The fellow was kind enough to admit he had no experience with the AR7200BX. Thus the reason I asked if anyone here has been using that receiver.

Thanks for your kind suggestion.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 05-02-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
GBLynden

I recommend you call them and speak directly to someone. E-mails are one-sided unlike phone calls.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Zor
Banned

I recommend you call them and speak directly to someone. E-mails are one-sided unlike phone calls.
Hello again GBLynden,

I wrote in post #30 . . .

In this case I already did what you are kindly suggesting. The fellow was kind enough to admit he had no experience with the AR7200BX. Thus the reason I asked if anyone here has been using that receiver.

It was not an email conversation. It was live on voice between him and I. I was speaking directly to someone.
I asked him if any of his coworkers may have experience with the AR7200BX and he said he could not ask them as they were all busy on the phone. That terminated the conversation.

I think that this receiver is quite new and most anyone having one in their helicopter just fly the heli as it comes out of the box or are not participating in this forum.

Best regards fom Zor
Old 05-09-2014, 11:03 PM
GBLynden

I see. I would call back and try to get someone else, but that is just me.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Zor
Banned

Default No more need

I see. I would call back and try to get someone else, but that is just me.
GBLynden.

If I still had receiver problems I certainly would follow your advice.
After spending more time looking at this AR7200BX receiver setup I got things corrected.
It is now behaving as expected and seems normal.

The heading gyro is keeping the heading quite accurately. I would say well within plus / minus 5 degrees and likely even more accurately. Also I can see the pitch and roll gyros doing their contribution to reduce any attitude changes due to disturbances.

For me it is all a fascinating observation.

I am in the process of making a detachable landing skid to reduce the chances of the main rotor blades hitting the ground. In my location, at this time of the year, we do not have favorable weather conditions for a beginner to try to fly a heli. If it is not raining then it is much too windy and gusty. Predictions for the coming week are again showers and winds 15 to 20 mph and gusts to 30 mph ( 24 to 32 Kmh and gusts to 48 Kmh ). The maritime airmass keeps coming up from the Atlantic ocean as the polar airmass is retrieving northbound back and forth across the Great Lakes.

June will be the better time for me.

Have a great time and enjoy whatever you are doing.

Zor
Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 PM
GBLynden

I am glad you hear it is working out for you
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Zor
Banned

Default How to _ _ _ ?

I am glad you hear it is working out for you
GBLynden,

Always nice to read your postings.

I do not have any apparent problems now with the AR7200BX receiver.

I am working to make a "beginner's skid" under the heli.
I wish to mount the ping pong balls so they can spin (roll) so I have to drill them so the holes are exactly opposite.
Somehow I will find a way of accomplishing that with enough accuracy so the balls turn true without obvious radius differences. Hee! . Hee!

Right now since nature will not wait for any of us, gardening has to take precedence in planting the vegetable garden and the flower beds. Turning the soil over, mixing manure and peat moss is hard work for an old fellow.

Cheers ,

Zor.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 PM
GBLynden

How is everything going now Zor? Do you have any video to share with is?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Zor
Banned

How is everything going now Zor? Do you have any video to share with is?
Hi GBLynden,

Nice to read you.

I am finding little time for the hobby yet this spring. So many things have to take priority.

My next move is to put together a beginner's skid for my BLADE 300 X.
I had made one with aluminum rods and one broke so I made it with piano wire and it bends too much.
I found some bamboo sticks about 1/4" dia and am trying to find time to make it. Then I can experiment with some flying control.

I have a thread in flybarless helicopters. I do not know how to post a link to it.

There is nearly no activity there; like two posts in one month.

Best to you and again thanks for coming up here.

Zor
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

firstly i would recommend that you go to the lhs and see if the have some 3 or 4 mm carbon rod to make your trainers with. on the other hand they should have trainer kits that you would install on the skids. aluminum has no spring to it and you will want some spring as it will help cushion . i remember trying them trainer gears after the first time i removed them personally i found them to be worse then trying to land on the regular skids. secondly I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a pc flight sim especially for you zor i dont think you want to find out what a 300 x hitting any part of the body will feel like. they arent a toy like the nanos or the co ax helis. really none of them are a toy but the smaller ones ie nanos mcpx,s wont hurt as bad but they all could take a eye out. my mcpx drew blood on a finger one day ! keep it safe and remember the pc flight sims do help you just have to be kinda religious about practicing on it. it does get boring but its cheaper and easier to crash the digital helis than it is to crash the real thing.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 PM
vegasjetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.
I am an RC car/truck guy, and just took in a Blade 450 3D in trade. I have no idea how to fly it, and didn't really want it until the guy fired it up in my driveway. I had to have it after seeing it fly for 5 minutes in my yard. I need a transmitter for it, then I can figure out how to fly it. I hope it comes as naturally as driving an RC Car...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Blue text comments by Zor with formatting text.

Originally Posted by madmorgan

firstly i would recommend that you go to the lhs and see if the have some 3 or 4 mm carbon rod to make your trainers with.

The local LHS has the 3 or 4 mm carbon rod or carbon tubes of similar dimensions if in imperial sizes.

on the other hand they should have trainer kits that you would install on the skids. aluminum has no spring to it and you will want some spring as it will help cushion .

It makes good sense that some springing would be favorable. The piano wire size I used ( 3/32 inch diameter ) does not have enough rigidity and bends too much. I did not wish to use a larger diameter in order to avoid excessive weight.

i remember trying them trainer gears after the first time i removed them personally i found them to be worse then trying to land on the regular skids.

It seems to me that the purpose of the beginner's skid is to avoid or reduce the main rotors hitting the ground with results in breaking components, bending main shaft and so on when landing at high degrees of pitch or roll attitudes. If a flier does not need them I figure he/she is already a qualified heli pilot or does not care about the cost of new parts and the trouble of doing some repair. I think that could ( would ) occur for many initial attempts to fly.

secondly I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a pc flight sim especially for you zor i dont think you want to find out what a 300 x hitting any part of the body will feel like. they arent a toy like the nanos or the co ax helis. really none of them are a toy but the smaller ones ie nanos mcpx,s wont hurt as bad but they all could take a eye out. my mcpx drew blood on a finger one day ! keep it safe and remember the pc flight sims do help you just have to be kinda religious about practicing on it. it does get boring but its cheaper and easier to crash the digital helis than it is to crash the real thing.
I notice the emphasis on your recommendation.
It appears you did not read a previous posting with some comments about my flight simulator.
It does not behave ( far from it ) like what I have observed watching qualified heli pilots flying at the local field. I simply get fed up with its much different behavior in response ( much too slow) compared to my observations of fellows flying helis at the flying field.

I also noticed that this simulator very often does not even respond to a command from the transmitter.
Using this simulator is just an extreme frustration. It would be nice to have a digital heli that works at least similar to flying a real model heli. I spent over $200.00 for that simulator and I just threw the money to sit on a shelf in my schack.

Thanks for your comments and recommendation.

Zor

Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 PM
GBLynden

You are a character Zor!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 PM
GBLynden

How is everything going now Zor?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Zor
Banned

You are a character Zor!
Whatever you meant.
My BLADE 300X and myself are getting along fine.

Zor
Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM
GBLynden

Great to hear
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Is it normal to have a hard time learning to fly helicopters? I have been practicing on Real Flight 7.5 with the Thunder Tiger 90 nitro and at best can pull off a sloppy hover a foot off the ground. If i try to fly it I always get into trouble. To me helicopters seem almost uncontrollable. Airplanes especially trainers practically fly themselves, you just tell them which direction go LOL.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:29 PM
GBLynden

Yes it is hard, which is why I posted my original post in the OP. I am not familiar with the heli, but it sounds like it is probably a CP heli and not one that would be good to learn on. Are there any coaxial options in the heli menu?

GB
Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it is hard, which is why I posted my original post in the OP. I am not familiar with the heli, but it sounds like it is probably a CP heli and not one that would be good to learn on. Are there any coaxial options in the heli menu?

GB
What is CP?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM
GBLynden

It is a non-coaxial helicopter and I think it stands for Controlled Pitch. Those are harder to fly, but look more real.

GB