Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What Was Your First Heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What Was Your First Heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM
tjk2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Was Your First Heli

I am just wondering what all of your fist helicopters where and whether they where good or not, I would like to get one but i dont know which i should go for.

Thanks
TJK
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My first helicopter was a simulator and a Raptor 50(nitro). I put training gear on it and was hovering after a few flights. I would not recommend going that route unless you are very patient and take things real slow. The reason being if you try to do to much to fast and crash...you are looking at a few hundred bucks. I think the smarter thing to do is get a simulator(assuming you want to learn how to fly a collective pitch heli one day) and get good on the simulator then buy a collective pitch heli like the mCPX. A lot of these small collective pitch heli's now days are very durable. And if by chance you do break something it's pretty cheap to fix. I honestly think there is no "bad" way to learn how to fly. With patience and persistence you WILL learn how to fly. Budget...time...where can you fly(indoor or out) all factor into what heli to start with.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjk2013
I am just wondering what all of your fist helicopters where and whether they where good or not, I would like to get one but i dont know which i should go for.

Thanks
TJK
I strongly suggest that you change the title of your question to reflect the actual intent of the post. It wasn't until I slowed down and read the initial post carefully that I understood what the intent was. If I were to answer the question posted as the title, you would be chasing a wild goose because the helicopter I started with is no longer available. And to be completely honest, If I had done more research, and had a little more money I would not have bought that one in particular either.

What you want is a modern, popular machine, that will take you thru the entire learning process with minimum upgrades. I have two questions for you: 1. what is your budget? and 2. What is popular at your local flying field?

Rafael
Old 09-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Rafael23cc

I should add, that a simulator is a great suggestion. Another good suggestion, is to find an experienced pilot to guide you thru the process (and to show you which machine is most popular in your region).

Rafael
Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 AM
tjk2013

Thanks thats useful

TJK
Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Rafael23cc

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
.......I have two questions for you: 1. what is your budget? and 2. What is popular at your local flying field?Rafael
Thanks thats useful

TJK
There are a couple of questions that I'm expecting you to answer to continue the discussion. As a minimum the answer to the budget situation. If you are not comfortable answering just state so. Not just ignore them. Without a budget restraint, you will also go in a wild goose chase. People are going to suggest anything and everything from $50 department store toys to $2500 3D fire breathing machines.

Rafael
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM
tjk2013

Sorry, i ahvent been ignoring you, i have been away, i would say my budget at the moment is probably $110 until i learn how to fly some decent helis
TJK
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Rafael23cc

Sorry, i ahvent been ignoring you, i have been away, i would say my budget at the moment is probably $110 until i learn how to fly some decent helis
TJK
For that budget, you will be looking at coaxial, fixed pitch helicopters. I have very little experience with those, except a few people that I have tried to help over the years. After they transition to more "complex" helicopters they complain that the coaxial heli created some skills that were actually useful, but other "skills" were actaully detrimental to their learning process. Be concious about that, and you should be ok.

Self leveling of the coaxial helicopters is a feature that is detrimental in transition to other helicopters. As I think of other features of those helicopters I will post them here.

Rafael
Old 09-18-2013, 07:07 AM
tjk2013

Thank you, that's useful, i think i will go for a fixed pitch, i take your views and when, if i do move on i will bear what you have said in mind so thank you

TJK