Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Noob saying hello forum and a little advice please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Noob saying hello forum and a little advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Shirlzknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob saying hello forum and a little advice please

Heya guys, I have always wanted to get into RC aircraft -from an early age- years have got behind me and I never quite made it but I have plenty spare time on my hands now looking for a new hobby and this really appeals to me!
I have seen many RC 'copters' in toys for men stores- from tiny efforts to larger 'beasts' and tbh I just don't know where to start! Is there any point in buying these smaller low priced models to practice on? Or am I better saving up those pennies and getting a decent one ( all I can think of is crash bang wallop! lol)
Any advice would be truly welcome- oh and I found a Chinese site with really quite cheap RC helicopters..FastTechs are these any good?
Thanks in advance folks
Old 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Shirlzknight

The model I was interested in was WLtoys V977 Power Star? Any ideas or suggestions? TY
Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shirlzknight

The model I was interested in was WLtoys V977 Power Star? Any ideas or suggestions? TY
Hello Shirtzknight,

I went and looked at this heli using the internet.
There was some videos in flight. It is a very fast flybarless small heli.

I wish you good success if you acquire one of those.
I do not think it is the easiest to learn to fly.
Just my thoughts.

Zor
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirlzknight

I have seen many RC 'copters' in toys for men stores- from tiny efforts to larger 'beasts' and tbh I just don't know where to start!

Don't be fooled by department stores and what not. If I had a dime for every person that gasped at the size of my MEDIUM sized helicopters, I'd have enough money to buy me a "BEAST" helicopter of MY Scale. The best place to start is to go to a local club and ask for help. Here is a link to find AMA Chartered clubs: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx if you live in the US.

Here is another link where you can find flying events coming up this summer: http://www.rcflightdeck.com/advancedSearch.cfm

Is there any point in buying these smaller low priced models to practice on? Or am I better saving up those pennies and getting a decent one ( all I can think of is crash bang wallop! lol)
Unlike airplanes, I have slammed a helicopter nose down or head down straight into the ground, and it is not completely trashed. Spare parts can be expensive depending on the model. I have ordered parts Sunday night, parts arrive Thursday, and I can be flying again Sunday.

Any advice would be truly welcome- oh and I found a Chinese site with really quite cheap RC helicopters..FastTechs are these any good?
Thanks in advance folks

Chinese and RC were not used in the same sentence regarding quality products. I have zero experience with that particular brand so I cannot comment. In recent years, some brands from Asia have risen up in quality to be recognized a little better.

Hope that helps
Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Shirlzknight

@ Zor yea I had a look too and it put me off- just looks a tad too fast for me!
@ Rafael23cc thanks for the valuable info- I shall have a look and see if there are any clubs local and do it right- was back in that store today-drooling !! haha I think I'll leave the Chinese well alone for the time being! Thank you very much guys
Old 05-29-2014, 02:31 PM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

since you're a beginner what i would do is get a real flight simulator or something similar to it. least learn the basics like how to hover,autorotation,forward flight. that way save you some money every time you crash on the computer lol. did my fair share of crashes on the computer simulator when i was first learning too. after you have mastered the computer simulator i would go with something like a blade 120sr or something similar to it then work your way up to bigger helicopters. p.s i would tend to stay away from the department store brand helicopters. my experience with those is most of them are junk! if it was me i would rather buy mine from a local hobby shop or online website that deals in the hobby. those helicopters are lot better decent quality type helicopters then the cheap china junk.