RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Basic battery help needed please

Old 05-20-2014, 04:55 PM
lakedawgs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Basic battery help needed please

HI
My kid wants to learn to fly so I thought I would get out my old Esky Honey Bee FP V1,
Want to get a couple of new batteries but am a bit overwhelmed. From what I have read I think I am going to go for Lipo, 7.4 volt, 900-1100mAh, 2C batteries. Not sure about the chargers. I am not going to spend $40 - $200 on a charger just to see if my kid takes an interest in this hobby. If he does, we will upgrade and grow.
But for now, I just need a cheap charger to get started, don't care if it is slow.
Would appreciate any feedback to help us get back in the air at a reasonable cost.
Thanks much,
Lakedawgs
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by lakedawgs View Post

HI
My kid wants to learn to fly so I thought I would get out my old Esky Honey Bee FP V1,
Want to get a couple of new batteries but am a bit overwhelmed. From what I have read I think I am going to go for Lipo, 7.4 volt, 900-1100mAh, 2C batteries. Not sure about the chargers. I am not going to spend $40 - $200 on a charger just to see if my kid takes an interest in this hobby. If he does, we will upgrade and grow.
But for now, I just need a cheap charger to get started, don't care if it is slow.
Would appreciate any feedback to help us get back in the air at a reasonable cost.
Thanks much,
Lakedawgs
Suggest you check with your Local ( or nearest ) Hobby Store.
Wall type chargers are likely available for $20.00 or less.

If your transmitter has a battery of a different voltage you would need a charger that can charge both or get two inexpensive chargers.

If you belong to a club some club members might help recharging the batteries at the flying field for the purpose of finding out if your kid remains interested.

Just some thoughts.

Zor
Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which batteries did the helicopter use before? Why not start there?

Unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing, I would strongly advise against just selecting lipos as a power option just because. Google "Lipo fires" for an eye opener.

Ok, here is what I found:
The original helicopter flew with an 8.4v nimh battery and people suggest an upgrade to 7.4v 800mah lipo.

Here is a Google link to cheap lipo chargers

Good luck, and be careful with those lipo batteries.

Rafael
Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 PM
babyhuey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And if you go lipo get more than a 2c! a 20C would be the minimum.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by babyhuey View Post
And if you go lipo get more than a 2c! a 20C would be the minimum.
There are two completely different topics on where the terms "xC" are used when talking about lipo batteries. Of course "x" referring to a number.

1. Charging: When charging some batteries can only take a single digit multiple of their capacity. For example, most cheaper batteries can only be charged at 2C. Some of the higher end batteries can be charged at 5C. This is what determines how long does the battery have to stay on the charger.
2. Discharging: When discharging, batteries can provide a double digit multiple of their capacity. For example, most cheaper batteries can deliver 20C. With a burst of approx 30C. The higher end batteries can deliver much more than that, in the realm of approx 50C. This is how much you can extract from the battery at any particular SURGE without damaging the battery.

Hope this clears up the confusion a little.

Rafael