RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Radio Recommendations for Heli

Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
jelge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Radio Recommendations for Heli

Not looking for a "Ford vs Chevy" debate but rather a list of features I should be looking for since my 8UAF and Prism7x probably won't cut it as heli radios. I am looking to use it with a 500 series T-Rex when I get ready and maybe bigger in the future.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

According to this:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/downloads/notes-8u.html
Your Futaba 8UAF radio should have all you need to fly a helicopter. Although some switches will be in a different place.

You are really looking for normal helicopter stuff:
Collective pitch and throttle normally mixed on the throttle stick, pitch curve, throttle curve, throttle hold, idle up, governor control, gyro control. In general, any radio with an "H" in the nomenclature should be sufficient. Be aware that the more radio you buy, the more flexible it is going to be. For example, 3 point curves, vs 5 point curves, vs 7 point curves. 3 optional mixes, vs 5 optional mixes vs 7 optional mixes, ect.

I personally own a Futaba 8FG, a JR 9303 Heli and a JR 10X Heli. Since I learned and I'm more familiar with the JR radios, I had my local shop swap out a couple of switches on my 8FG to mimic the JR radio switch locations.

Rafael