Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

First Flight since daughter was killed 2 yrs ago

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First Flight since daughter was killed 2 yrs ago

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 PM
PADD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight since daughter was killed 2 yrs ago

I haven't really flown in twenty two years, since my two girls were born. 3 yrs ago my 16 yr old daughter gave me a mini heli from Bed Bath and Beyond for Christmas, don't know what kind it was but it was cool to fly in the house, I was amazed at technology! Busy with putting food on the table I messed with it a dozen times and told her thanks each time, it was a well thought gift from a teenager. On April 15, 2012 my 18 yr old daughter was killed by her own friend. Nikki sat in her friends car, in the back seat of a Chevy Neon as her friend sent text messages while driving. The girl didn't see the double stop signed intersection and ran straight through it into the path of an F-150. I had to identify her at the hospital, its an image that keeps me from sleeping. Guys and girls, turn the phone off and don't drive distracted. One second can turn a dream life into a nightmare.

About a month ago a friend gave me a SMYA S033G, a nice size electric RC heli. I flew it, pretty rough I might say and it needed batteries. I went on ebay to buy batteries and saw all these new heli's, WOW. Well it's kept me busy every night and on Friday I just received a Esky Honeybee CP3. I read a whole bunch of these forums and built some training gear. Tonight I took it off the ground for a quick 3 seconds. It amazes me that these new birds are electric, gyro's are little computers and transmitters have screens on them. Two points I'd like to make, first is that it felt like my daughter was watching me this weekend, I felt connected for the first time in two years and second is man do I have some questions! I hope you don't mind a sad old man asking what the heck is a swash curve because this new electric flying is pretty darn cool!

Looking forward to learning here and thanks in advance. Please check out www.padd.org and don't drive distracted, please!

Regards
Mike Kellenyi

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2023199   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2023200  
Old 08-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First off...sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't imagine what you have gone through. As a father of 3, I always worry that my kids will text and drive. Now for the helicopter, I'm glad you are back into flying. It seems there has been many advancements in just a few years. When you say swash curve, are you referring to the pitch and throttle curves that you have to program into your transmitter? I know your Honeybee CP3 is collective pitch so you will need to set up the proper pitch and throttle curves. What radio do you have? There are a few different radios but the theory is the same. I'm no expert but I will help where I can. Hopefully some others will chime in also.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
PADD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real2yoAs for questions, apreciate the kind words and the reply. That was a general future question. Just was trying to say I have a lot to learn with the new technology. Im on my third take apart already and avent flown the CP3 yet. trying to level the swashplate and read something different each time. Not sure if Im ready to fly this yet, I have a real flight basic simulator I've spent a few minutes on the last few nights. Well all I can say is I'll go broke on parts if it were real!. I search all over the forums and found lots on setting up the heli, just seem like everyone has different ideas. Is there one way or a link or video that "tells it all?"
Nice when I tinker with the heli, I don't cry!