Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

NEW i want to get my first helicopter.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

NEW i want to get my first helicopter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:40 AM
joe0o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW i want to get my first helicopter.

i never fly before so i am looking for a beginner helicopter i see amazon having some on there with good review for a cheap price like the syma s107 it only $20 are they any good anyone know i dont have alot money to spend.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not really familiar with that helicopter. The one thing you need to consider is....do you plan to move up to a better helicopter at some point? Or do you just want to get a heli to play around with until it breaks. I have a few helicopters that are considered beginner and the controls are all the same. I got a heli called a Sky Raider as a gift and the controls are all goofy....so I never fly it because it will screw me up when I fly my other heli's. I know some of the cheaper toy grade heli's have weird controls that don't transfer over to hobby grade heli's you will want in the future if you plan to "move up". To me...some of the cheaper toy grade heli's you will fly them and get bored after a few weeks or you will crash them, break something, and it will sit in your closet. I say that because I have friends that have bought heli's at Walmart, 7 eleven and places like that and they flew them a few times and now they sit because they are just limited in what they can do. Some are coaxial and they get bored after a few weeks because they are slow or they broke something and can't find parts that easily. Food for thought....hopefully others will chime in.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:38 PM
bob_moody

I actually have one and for for a coaxial (I guess you would consider it .. a toy..) it actually flies...
I've burned up my living room with it... Dont plan on flying it outside, its to light and even the breeze from the A/C vents will make it bounce around.
But for siting on a couch and learning orientation.. nose in .. tail in etc .. its a fun little heli.

Bob
Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I kind of came across as dissing toy and coaxial heli's. They definately are fun and have there purpose. What I wanted to get across is try to fly something where the controls are the same as the bigger heli's if you plan to move up and get a collective pitch. That way you are practicing at home in your living room and it will be much easier to fly your "next step" helicopter. Sounds like you have been learning orientation and are ready for a mCPX type heli!! Those little cp heli's are a blast.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 PM
bob_moody

I did forget about the controls when I said learing orientation. The infrared controller has left and right tail movement on the right stick along with forward and backwards. The left stick is purely throttle..
Real2You is 100% on getting something where the controls would translate as you advance .. The 107 is fun for chasing the cat (dont chase the cat..) but as a platform to transition to a 4 or 6 channel bird .. not so much ..
For $20 ... it is what it is..

Bob
Old 01-26-2015, 03:58 AM
EddyP

I got myself the basic Hubsan X4 here:

http://www.red5.co.uk/remote-control...adcopters.aspx

And then once I'd mastered that I upgraded to the bigger FPV version.

I think there is a benefit to starting on the toy gear because you'll soon discover whether or not you have the patience to take it up more seriously as a hobby, and what's more crashes aren't quite so painful!!