Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Which Blade heli should I start with?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Which Blade heli should I start with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:48 PM
zanemoseley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Blade heli should I start with?

Rc helis have captured my curiosity and I know the general differences between coaxial, fixed and compound pitch helis. Even being in a small city I have a very nice hobby shop the sells a lot online, I stopped and spoke to the owner today, he's very experienced in helis, he used to run the competition circuit, he sponsored pilots and even helped design some helis. He doesn't carry many completed helis though as I suppose they're not so popular in my area, he has a many of cars, drones and airplanes, he also has a ton of parts in the shop.

Going into the shop I was looking at the mCX2 to start slow and small however he suggested that I would get bored quickly and suggest starting off with a 120S or larger. I do like that the 120s has more capabilities but still has the different modes to protect the heli while I'm learning. The 120S seems to have mixed reviews online so seems not sure its a smart buy. I noticed that several of the nicer models like the 230S and 250 CFX have the different flying modes to help while I'm learning.

One positive I could think about starting with a mCX2 is that I have a 9 year old so once I get bored with it I could let her use it and buy something nicer. On the other hand I could buy her a $22 syma off Amazon and she would be happy enough.

So which should I look at getting. I don't wanna be too cheap and find myself upgrading too soon, on the other hand I don't want to get into some middle ground that is too nice for a beginner heli but too cheap for a nice heli later on if that makes any sense.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:02 PM
garyv440

Originally Posted by zanemoseley
Rc helis have captured my curiosity and I know the general differences between coaxial, fixed and compound pitch helis. Even being in a small city I have a very nice hobby shop the sells a lot online, I stopped and spoke to the owner today, he's very experienced in helis, he used to run the competition circuit, he sponsored pilots and even helped design some helis. He doesn't carry many completed helis though as I suppose they're not so popular in my area, he has a many of cars, drones and airplanes, he also has a ton of parts in the shop.

Going into the shop I was looking at the mCX2 to start slow and small however he suggested that I would get bored quickly and suggest starting off with a 120S or larger. I do like that the 120s has more capabilities but still has the different modes to protect the heli while I'm learning. The 120S seems to have mixed reviews online so seems not sure its a smart buy. I noticed that several of the nicer models like the 230S and 250 CFX have the different flying modes to help while I'm learning.

One positive I could think about starting with a mCX2 is that I have a 9 year old so once I get bored with it I could let her use it and buy something nicer. On the other hand I could buy her a $22 syma off Amazon and she would be happy enough.

So which should I look at getting. I don't wanna be too cheap and find myself upgrading too soon, on the other hand I don't want to get into some middle ground that is too nice for a beginner heli but too cheap for a nice heli later on if that makes any sense.

I was wondering what choice you finally made on the Blade heli?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Nee1

Default 200 s or 200 srx

as a starter I would recommend the 200 srx used you can find a used one 100-150 125 should buy a clean rtf w/ basic transmitter battery and charger the 200 s replaced this model finding one used for a little more or new is not a bad way to go as well...being new though your going to crash and your going to need to learn to repair the great news is that these model are very durable and easy to find parts and cheap to buy them and there is plenty of info online to start with and to help on repairs and trouble shooting..the 1st thing to learn is to hover in one spot...good luck be patient
Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Nee1

eBay and chat forums are good place to find used ones good luck
Old 06-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Topgun1982

Default 230s v2

I would suggest the 230s v2. Great heli. Great features for a beginner. And it grows with you.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Mgfiest

I would invest in a SIM... the cost of a crash is zero... with a real rc heli.. lots of cost associated with it... good luck
Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 PM
albsurfer

I use RF8 and a Blade 230s V2. The Knifeedge site has a Blade 230 for download.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:24 AM
BMR3

Blade MCX & MCX2 are a lot of fun. They are not terribly difficult to lear how to fly, and some say they get "boring" but i think thats when the fun just kicks in. Once you master the basics of flight, you can move on to trick landings on tiny ledges, fly in super tight areas (under tables & between chair legs), "drive" the heli around by scraping the landing gear across surfaces (like grinding a skateboard). It really comes down to what you make of it.

Then when you really get the MCX down, get a SIM so you can practice flybar less systems. The difference is night and day, so i suggest learning on a SIM. I chose to just by aBlade nano, destroyed it in 20 min and have stock to indoor fly bar systems since.

You can also look into modding the MCX2