Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

difference between drone and helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

difference between drone and helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:59 AM
linktotto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between drone and helicopter

Hi. It would be so nice if someone could shine light on questions which have eluded me for years. Why do drones have 4 propellers usually? If 4 is better then why do helicopters only have one (plus tail)? Why don't they build helicopters which have cameras and same functionality than drones? (or do they). These questions apply to RC and to full size ones. Thank you kindly.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Quads take a flight controller that took a while to evolve to a size and cost that made hobby drones practical, we have been flying conventional RC helis for many years, me since the late 70's. Even the tail rotor gyros and flybarless flight controllers have evolved. When I started I worked for a week on my heli to get a couple of 5 minute flights before something broke. Now its all solid state and flybarless.