Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Probably not the best way to get started...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Probably not the best way to get started...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 AM
pantaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Probably not the best way to get started...

I might be acquiring a somewhat older gas-engine helicopter (probably around 5 and 15 years old.) I have zero experience, and I don't expect to get out and fly it without considerable training. I read a post recommending a newbie use a simulator program. What simulators are available, and what prices should I expect?

My only real radio-control experience is with 1:10 scale cars, and that was more than 25 years ago. Well, I did build a ARF plane that I destroyed first time out because the wind was way too strong and I was too eager to wait.

Here's the situation: I'm helping a friend liquidate her late-husband's collection. I might be keeping one of the helicopters, if it looks like I can actually use it.

I don't even know how to identify or classify these things. I'd appreciate it if someone can look at my photos and give me a little guidance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_134321.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2256530 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_134336.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2256531 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_134359.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2256532

Name:	20160627_134425.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2256533 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_134846.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2256534 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_134902.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2256535

Name:	20160627_135034.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2256536 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_135265.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	2256537
Old 03-01-2018, 04:00 AM
Mgfiest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa... nice.... yes.. those are not for beginners... if you truly want to keep them then you should invest in a SIM, as well as a Nano CPS, the nano in safe mode is like a FP and as you progress then you would be getting into a CP heli. Once you master the SIM and nano, they say GO BIG is easy to fly.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,
If you crashed a plane on your first time out then you know what will happen with these if you try to fly them ?
They will be history in 1/8 of the time it took to crash that plane!

A few of the copters are very old and you will have a hard time trying to find parts to fix them. Some of the scale copters are nice looking but who knows what lies underneath.
If you like the looks of one then buy it and put it on a shelf or hang it from the ceiling but don't fly it and don't pay too much for it..

As mentioned, if you want to learn to fly helis then you have to start at the beginning and learn to fly a fixed-pitch copter. Then after you have crashed and repaired it and improved then you can try a collective-pitch copter(much harder to fly).

Start out with something like this:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...nology-blh4100
Or this:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-s-rtf-blh2600

Then after you improve(a lot)you can try one like this:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/helicop...nology-blh1500
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

In addition to the above advice before you fly any helicopter make sure it is set up properly by having an expert fly it. I offer the same advice on airplanes, always have an expert do the first flight on a newly built, or newly repaired airplane.

BTW, I have Real Flight 3.5 and have practiced helis a lot with it to the point where I can actually fly nose in hover for a few minutes. I still, however, have problems with my RC heli because I have not taken it field with an expert to make sure it flies right. Not following my own advice. But it's also been sitting on a shelf for a few years now while I work on a sailboat.

Last edited by rgburrill; 03-01-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Mgfiest

Personally, FP heli is becoming an obsolete step in advancing with RC helis. With the new technology of SAFE, The Nano CPS is the best way to get in. The SAFE gives the nano that FP fell and it is very passive little heli. Once you start moving on within the nano, you start getting a real CP feeling heli it gets real aggressive once you are in expert mode.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 PM
pantaz

Originally Posted by Mgfiest
whoa... nice.... yes.. those are not for beginners... if you truly want to keep them then you should invest in a SIM, as well as a Nano CPS, the nano in safe mode is like a FP and as you progress then you would be getting into a CP heli. Once you master the SIM and nano, they say GO BIG is easy to fly.

Good luck.
CPS? FP? I'm brand new to this world, so please fill me in on the nomenclature as we go. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM
pantaz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Hi,
If you crashed a plane on your first time out then you know what will happen with these if you try to fly them ?
They will be history in 1/8 of the time it took to crash that plane!
Oh, absolutely! Don't worry, I have no plans to use these for learning how to fly.

A few of the copters are very old and you will have a hard time trying to find parts to fix them. Some of the scale copters are nice looking but who knows what lies underneath.
The collection includes quite a few spare parts. It's all very disorganized at the moment, but I'm working on it.

As mentioned, if you want to learn to fly helis then you have to start at the beginning and learn to fly a fixed-pitch copter. Then after you have crashed and repaired it and improved then you can try a collective-pitch copter(much harder to fly).

Start out with something like this:...
Thank you, that is very helpful.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:08 PM
pantaz

Originally Posted by rgburrill
In addition to the above advice before you fly any helicopter make sure it is set up properly by having an expert fly it. I offer the same advice on airplanes, always have an expert do the first flight on a newly built, or newly repaired airplane.
I will keep that in mind. Much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:49 AM
flyinwalenda

FP = Fixed Pitch
CP= Collective Pitch

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/collective-pitch.html
Old 03-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Mgfiest

all those heli you have are CP... collective pitch....

Collective Pitch Flight School - RC Helicopter Guide!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:04 PM
pantaz

Great site, thanks. I knew helicopters are complicated, but that's shown me a whole new level!
Old 03-03-2018, 04:07 AM
Mgfiest

if you want to cheat... buy a small quad... it gives you the scope of orientation... but remember it's not the same as CP.. kind of a FP heli. If you can not muster a 4 bladed heli.. chances are you will have some issues with a 1 bladed heli.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:18 PM
pantaz

Originally Posted by Mgfiest
if you want to cheat... buy a small quad... it gives you the scope of orientation... but remember it's not the same as CP.. kind of a FP heli. If you can not muster a 4 bladed heli.. chances are you will have some issues with a 1 bladed heli.
I have a Parrot AR.Drone 2. It uses a phone or tablet as the controller (via WiFi). I've only flown it a couple of times, and I have mixed feelings on it. Being a quad-rotor, it maneuvers equally well regardless of orientation, so I tend to neglect "aiming" it in the direction of flight. I also get a bit distracted watching the video feed.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:01 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by pantaz
I have a Parrot AR.Drone 2. It uses a phone or tablet as the controller (via WiFi). I've only flown it a couple of times, and I have mixed feelings on it. Being a quad-rotor, it maneuvers equally well regardless of orientation, so I tend to neglect "aiming" it in the direction of flight. I also get a bit distracted watching the video feed.
Those are just toys. They don't teach you how to fly a real RC quad or heli.
If you want to learn to fly a heli then get one of those I listed above.
If you want to fly a real RC quad and get some good practice indoors then try this:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/drone/r...nology-blh7600
Old 03-03-2018, 03:41 PM
pantaz

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
... nano-qx-rtf-with-safe-technology-blh7600
How well do those handle outdoors?
Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 PM
flyinwalenda

Would have to be dead calm. They are more for indoor flying/practice.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Mgfiest

well it been a while since I played with quads... SAFE technology on a quad... really... quads by definition are pretty simple... anywho.. to each their own...