Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Help with a heli that won't fly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Help with a heli that won't fly

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Balve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a heli that won't fly

Hi RC experts,

I have a chinese made helicopter which I got as a gift. It is an inexpensive toy, but since I have weak knowledge of rc helicopters, I cannot define its class and other characteristics. I have made some convinient photos, but since I have less than 10 posts on the forum, I cannot attach any links. It is a coaxial type, approximately 6.3" long, with two identical gear wheels one above the other in the gear compartment, the battery is Li-Po 3.7V 120 mAh.
I am posting this to see if it pays off to fix this nice toy, and to get some advice from you.

The battery part:
I first connect it to a charger with a standard yellow usb cable with a red light. I leave it to charge for a couple of hours (just to be on the safe side), and the light shuts off after the battery is charged. The motors are not reacting to any power level than full throttle. When I push the throttle to the full power, the motors are working for a minute and then they die off. If I am not wrong from what I have found on the Internet, the puffy shape is a sign that the battery is faulty, right? It is fairly puffed up.
If that is true, I have some questions:
1. do you recommend to replace the battery with an identical one (3.7V, 120 mAh), or I can benefit from mounting a more powerful one (for example 200 mAh), and placing it on the "belly" of the heli, for the sake of balance?What is the best way to replace it? Cutting the wires / soldering, quick connect or something else?

The mechanics part:
For the short period of full throttle, the ​​​​​blades are spinning, but the heli won't take off. If placed on a smooth surface, it spins in place. Also it's fairly noisy in the gear compartment.
What I managed to inspect with removing the protective plates is this:while the motor is spinning the shaft, one of the small plastic pinion gears (I believe that is what they're called) - the one on the longer shaft, keeps pulling up and loosing connection with a large gear, and both of pinion gears seem slippy and of weak friction (that comes with the overall quality of the product, I suppose). I've read some advice to glue them carefully with a drop of Loctite or some super glue, but I'd like to know how to do it since the small gears are barely 2 mm / 0.08" high. Will the glue interfere with the cogs' connection or something like that?
What are your thoughts on this?

There, I hope this wasn't such a long post. Thanks for taking a look, looking forward to your opinions!

Last edited by Balve; 06-22-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:27 PM
gimbleguy

Yeah It's sounds like a faulty battery, do you have a good spare battery to test it with?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Rockin Heli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test your battery with a volt meter if you have one, that way you can take a lot of guess work out .I have had bad batteries that were not puffed out, but just bad cells. Test with DC volts..
Old 06-26-2019, 01:37 AM
Balve

Well, it was a faulty battery. I bought another one, this time a 3.7V 180mAh. It charges and starts up without issue, and it doesn't look like overkill weight-wise, but I can not tell it for sure since it still doesn't lift off.
It seems that the problem with the mechanics remains. Fully charged heli doesn't lift off, and keeps spinning lively in place counterclockwise. I guess I'm left with dismantling the thing and checking for common issues - weak gear connection to shaft or something else.
Thank you for your replies, hope to get some more advice