Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking to get started in this hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Looking to get started in this hobby

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:16 PM
IDOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get started in this hobby

Greetings:
Thank you for having me here on this forum. I am new to R/C but have been bitten by the bug to learn helis.
I am reading as much as I can and will be getting a simulator G-@ up and running ASAP.
One of the common themes that I have come across is that I should seek the help of experienced pilots in my area ( Connecticut) and seriously consider purchasing similar products to what is available locally.

What has the groups experience been with the Quick helis, in particular 30's. These seem to prevalent in my area.
I have also read good things about the JR Venture and the Century Hawk IV.
Is there an issue with parts support with either unit?

Thanks a lot
Shachar IDOC
:sunsmiley
Old 07-12-2002, 05:58 PM
concept1
My Feedback: (2)

I would deffinatly suggest checking what your local shop carries for parts, the hawk and venture are good heli's and the raptor is populiar as well. budjet is also worth looking into. a flight sim s great, G2 is good but I was greatly dissapointed in it. I use FMS which is free and you can get many other heli's and better scenery which I feel makes it better than G2. my buddy got G2 and tossed it and now uses FMS also. but any sim is well worth it.
you can download FMS and then make a cable to hook up your transmitter or buy one from ebay for about $15-19 cable and CD- rom.
for a begginer heli parts avalibility are cridical. any heli will work for a begginer if you can get parts. a better heli will last longer if you know you are going to stick with it. I gennerally recomend a cheaper heli and upgrading as you go if budget is low. as for radio I recomend the JR 652 or 662 over futaba, only cause it comes with BB servos, but DO NOT skimp on the gyro, get a gy401 it is $200 but well worth it and will save time and $$$ in the long run, the gy240 is ok also but I'd get the 401 and a old used heli before i'd skimp on a gyro
Old 07-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Adam T

As you can see, I have a Sceadu and I think it's a great little heli for a beginner. It's high quality, supported by MRC/Altech (great customer service and parts support), and is something you can truly grow into. The Raptors are cheap, but IMHO, you'll get what you've paid for. Raptors are so popular though, that the parts are readily available. You'll probably be able to pick up all the advice you need about any given heli's quirks on these boards, and I think any experienced heli pilot can help you set it up even if it's different from what they personally fly. Therefore, I wouldn't get a heli based solely on what others in your area are flying.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:39 AM
Lift
My Feedback: (1)

Default Getting started

IDOC,
Welcome to the greatest hobby around. RC HELIS!!
You will get ton's of great advise here and there are NO dumb questions so feel free to ask. Dazzler was our last student and he is now in BIGTIME right DAZ???

For 30s I had the Raptor and JR Venture. The Venture is more stable flier with a tighter control system. Same for Hawk IV. Sceadu has great growth potential but as a 30 is a tad underpowered like the Venture. Both of these ships are designed in 50 size airframes and tend to be overweight with the smaller motor. So, I have decided to start encouraging newcomers to get a 50 size ship. You will go through fuel faster but you won't be complaining about power when you get into FF and aerobatics. So, I encourage you to look at a 50. If you plan on staying in the hobby you WILL outgrow a 30 in your first year and then be wishing you had more power.

Oh yeah, check out the new Kyosho Caliber 30. If you can handle the looks it is a VERY nice 30 and well powered with a 30. I just don't care for being stuck dealing with Tower Hobbies.

If funds are tight then spend ALL your money on the best electronics and cut your costs on the heli. Get the JR 8103 or Futaba 9C and the GY-401 gyro with 9253 digital servo for rudder control. It will get you ALOT further than anything other than the sim. NEVER EVER, EVER, CUT COSTS ON ELECTRONICS. This is a REMOTE CONTROL hobby and the electronics are what make/break your aircraft.

Use the pilot locator and get some local help:
http://www.p-locate.rc-helipad.com/index.html

Have fun on the sim and keep learning!!!
Old 07-13-2002, 05:53 AM
rotordoc

IDOC,

Most entry level helis available today will get you flying and well on your way. Some just do better then others, some even do so at relatively low prices (e.g. the Hawk IV). It is relatively inexpensive to buy and repair after the odd "mishap". It is easy to build, it comes with a great muffler, it flies well as a trainer and even into more demanding 3D aerobatics, is relatively maintenance free (plug and play) with few "issues" associated with it.

I too love the 50 size (my preference is the Century Falcon SE VII). Though it only costs $400.00, it is a full blown "'Hi-Zoot" heli that even comes with 600mm Fiberglass/Carbon fiber composite blades. If you go that route, spend an extra $20.00 for their 600mm woodies and use those for training, and save the FRP units for later, when you are comfortably into forward flight and aerobatics.

My choices in entry level radios are the Airtronics 6000 Super or the Hi-Tech Eclipse 7. If you can afford a bit more then the hands down choice is the new Futaba 9C.

Gyros, whatever you go for, match it to a digital servo if you have the budget. Then it will take you well into any flight arena you will progress into. In entry level I would suggest the Century PG-2000, up from there is the Futaba GY-240 and up from there the Futaba GY-401. They will all work with a standard servo, but a digital makes all three work 2 to 3 times better. If your budget allows, get the GY-401/9253 combo (About $220.00) right from the beginning.

Engine - stay with OS. Engine-Stay with OS....Engine Stay with OS...I guess you get the picture re: engine.<G>

For more info on various issues with various heli models check out the owner reports in the showcase forum area of www.rchelicopters.org and the brand specific forums here and on www.runryder.com

Whatever you start with I am sure your will find this a very entertaining passtime. Have Fun.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Charlie

Default concept1

Where do you download the FMS sim?