Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Fear Factor!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 12:37 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fear Factor!

Wow, now I know what you guys are talking about when you say you only have the nerves to fly a few tanks at a time, or that flying in the sim doesn't give you the nerves you get when flying a real RC heli!

Up until yesterday, I was just hovering, tail in, and didn't scare myself very badly... but yesterday I decided to try to go forward and do a little weaving left to right! Between the gusts of wind, and trying to control it in different orientations, I scared the crap out of myself several times! Got it up about 25-30ft high a few times [X(] , not intentially, but the gusts really gave me some unexpected lift! I probably shouldn't have tried new stuff with the wind as bad as it was, but the park nearby was deserted, and it was hard to pass up an opportunity to fly for an hour or so in a huge field. I ran about 5 tanks through it before I decided my batteries and I were ready to quit!

Oh well, I held it together enough to keep her in one piece, but I'm going to hit the sim some more before I try much more new stuff!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:50 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fear Factor!

That adrenalin rush is half the fun with an RC heli! Keep practicing on the sim and the heli. The sim will help you a lot for orientation. I'm flying around at will now and nose in is easy. My next step is into the world of yheli aerobatics and 3D. I'm doing a review on the JR Venture 50 3D so that will be my first major 3D machine.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:00 PM
TuNeD PiPe

I had a similar experience before my heli's clutch decided to bomb out, but anyway I was hovering tail-in at 5 feet and there was a strong wind coming from behind me and because the gyro was on low rate the tail suddenly swung 180deg. I nealry $h@t myself but luckily I didn't slam the throttle closed or something would have broken for sure.After that I made sure the gyro was on high rate.

The reason I think why my clutch broke is 'cause the blades weren't tracking right and it seemed to be vibrating a lot but I asked another guy at the club and he told me the blades were tracking right but I didn't think so.He wasn't an expert anyway,so I should have waited for one of the more advanced guys to come to the club but I didn't want to waste a day of potential flying. Anyway I have learnt when in doubt check it out.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:01 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: RCadmin
That adrenalin rush is half the fun with an RC heli! ...
Oh, I totally agree!! I just got a little too much at one time! I had a blast yesterday, I just had to take some deep breaths every now and then to recompose myself!

I plan to get some good sim time in this week... mailed off a check and application to join a local flying club, so I'm hoping to be able to fly there next weekend and get some more of that adrenalin going again!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:23 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was learning I would only do 2 or 3 flights a day. The concentration is pretty intense when coupled with the nervous factor/adrenalin so after 2-3 my brain would be spent. Anything after that and I'd be asking for trouble from careless mistakes.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:03 PM
-pkh-

Whew! Ran five more tanks threw her today... high wind and all! Just stuck to hovering tail in and side-in... between that and the wind, that was challenging enough for today! Gotta go back to work tomorrow, so probably won't fly until next weekend, but I'll have to put in some sim time to do some more side-in and maybe even nose in hovering then...
Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Glad Im not the Only one Scaring the Crap out of myself with my own heli. But I feel the same way when trying new manuvers. If Only I could fly my R/C heli with just as much relaxation and Flawlesness as I do on my G2 Sim...........
Old 07-07-2004, 07:04 AM
changed
Banned

I know about the nerves thing. It takes me a few tanks just to get settled down, and then I start to have some fun. I still only fly if there are very few people at the field. After much begging, I put on a small hovering demonstration for a few spectators (hovering is all I do right now). My nerves are getting better with each flight I make.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:21 AM
DarkStaR6

I so hear that, 3 tanks is cool but the 4th starts to really drain on the old energys!
ORIGINAL: RCadmin

When I was learning I would only do 2 or 3 flights a day. The concentration is pretty intense when coupled with the nervous factor/adrenalin so after 2-3 my brain would be spent. Anything after that and I'd be asking for trouble from careless mistakes.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:22 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Hovering is just about mostly what I do for right Now! And I do it at night with Flashing strobes and navigation lights, Whew,Talk about atracting spectators....... Yikes[X(] But with all this Wind & Heat in Vegas, My flying days are limited until about October when the Heat & Wind Calm Down, I guess in the R/C Flying world This is my Winter......[&:]