Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginners questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 05:39 PM
TomM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginners questions

13 or 14 years ago I played with the original Concept 30 for a couple of seasons. Got to the slow figure-8 level- never progressed to FFF. Sold it and went back to planes. Just started flying them again after a 4 year break.

Now I'm starting again with a Concept VR and could use some advice.

Which gyro for < $150? Are the Hitec piezo's any good?
Heading hold or regular gyro? - What's the difference.

What's a good pitch range for beginners? - Do I go to 0 deg or keep 1 or 2 positive degrees as the low endpoint? (I remember most of my crashes were boom strikes from chopping the throttle.)

I'll think of more.
TIA,
Tom
Lackawaxen, PA
Old 08-20-2002, 10:20 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default gyro

Use 0-1 low pitch 5-6 hover 9 top end to begin with 0-1 on low end so you don't slam it in when you lower the pitch to quick. As for gyro do it right get a Fut 401-9253 combo don;t play games with cheap gyros they cause more problems than they are worth check Heli hut or cyber Heli you can get it for $170-185 on sale thats cheap prices
Old 08-21-2002, 11:50 PM
Strast

Default Boom strike prevention

My experience with boom strikes is that your rotor speed is too low.

Never ever ever fly with a rotor that will spin down to a point where you loose all lift (i.e. Idle at stick down). If you come down hard, you need rotor speed to keep it from slamming down on your boom do to insufficient blade lift.