Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

T-Rex Rookie - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Toffer68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Rex Rookie - HELP!

I have a "Rookie" question regarding a PG02 Gyro. I had my T-rex up and running on a airplane radio - worked fine! I upgraded the radio only to a Helicopter radio! I made all of the fine tuning adjustments and confirmed servo direction. Everything seems to be working right! Rotor head spins clockwise and tail rotor counter clockwise. The "Elevator" and "Aileron" functions move the disc in the porper direction the "Rudder" controls yaw in the proper direction BUT the gyro seems to be operating backwards? It's mounted on the rear platform with the adjustment screws facing outward just like it was previously? I had read that to test if you hold the chopper by the tail with you finger by the tiller on the tailrotor and yay the chopper the the left, you finger should get slightly pinched? Mine is operating backwards to that? and when you power up the chopper wants to spin? Any ideas? I assume it must be something with the radio setup?(Futaba 6XH) - THANKS
Old 04-27-2005, 05:06 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-Rex Rookie - HELP!

Not familiar with the PG02. Does it have a reversing switch? Did your switch of equipment involve moving servos? If you mounted your tail servo differently, it could be operating in the reverse direction.
Can you try mounting the PG02 upside down to see if it corrects your problem?

Just to confirm, a heli that wants to spin in circles when you power up is often the result of the gyro needing to be reversed.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
woosh
My Feedback: (1)

I had the same problem with my T-Rex. I have a csm200 HH gyro mounted up-side down and all the heli did was sit and spin during throttle up. Fixed the problem by turning the gyro up-side down and it holds the tail steady.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Norrmannen

Yup, as far as I can understand turning it upside down would have the same effect as reversing it...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Toffer68

Worked on the chopper last night - I have know idea why BUT I fixed it!
I tried changing the gyro around - same result? I tried servo reversal on the rudder channel no luck? only the tail rotor worked backwards. I ended up physically changing the rudder servo around from a L/H hook up to a R/H hook up and the problem was fixed?
Can't explain but it worked!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Norrmannen

Changing side on the tail servo will give the same result as reversing the gyro so that would take care of your problem. If you decide to change it back then just flip the reversing switch on the gyro.
If the gyro is set in the wrong direction it will compensate rotation of the heli in the wrong direction making it spin incontrollably. Meaning in your case when tail drifted left the gyro would try stopping it by adding tailpower in the same direction as you were drifting, not the opposite as intended, then your in a "neverending" spiral, the faster it spins the more the gyro will try to stop it by making it spin even faster.

Reversing the servo and reversing the gyro does not give the same effect. Reversing the rudderchannel on your radio does not affect the gyrosignals (the ones that try to correct your rotation). "Reversing" the servo by changing side will help as then the servo will work in the opposite direction and the gyro will get the reaction it wants. Changing stuff "before" the gyro in the signals "chain of command" does not affect how it counters rotation. Changing stuff "after" the gyro does. (Hope this is understandable....:-) )