Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Good beginner helicopter?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Good beginner helicopter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Ovgron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good beginner helicopter?

Ive decided to try out helicopters and was looking around and since I have no heli experience, I dont know what would be considered a "good" beginner heli. I just plan to buy off of ebay, but like I said, I have no idea which one would be a good pilot friendly heli. I just dont want the 'Smartech Magic Wheel' of Heli's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Default RE: Good beginner helicopter?

Stay away from Ebay unless you know what your buying.

Moe or someone will have to chime in if your looking for small electric.

If your into nitro then check out http://www.heliproz.com they have combo deals on Raptors that will take you from training to 3D out of the box. Also look at a good helicopter radio and a Futaba Gy401/9254 combo for a gyro. I'd stick with OS engines but you'll hear lots of opinions on that.

Also lots of helicopter reading on http://www.runryder.com
Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you looking for? Glow or electric? What kind of price range do you want to be in? Whats your skill level? Ever done anything with them? We need to know more to help you out.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Purchase a Caliber or a Raptor 30 size. I would also reccomend purchasing a O.S. 37 engine instead of the O.S. 32 for your powerplant.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:03 PM
blackmonte

If you don't have a radio or descent radio, expect to spend a $1000+....you could probably get something for less but here's what I just purchased as an intro.... JR Venture 50 3D(which if I had it to do over I probably would of got a Raptor 50 size because raptor parts, info, etc. seem to be more readily available) from www.heliproz.com for $479 shipped, that's with OS 50, carbon blades, and tuned pipe. JR 9303 heli radio which come with flight pack etc. for $450 off of ebay. Futaba gyro GY401/9254 digital servo off of ebay for $180.

Like I said, if I had it to do over I would have probably gone with a raptor. From what I've read on here and different web sites, it just seems like everyone carries raptor parts and theres lots of information available for them. My next purchase will most likely be a raptor 50 v2 or 60-70 size.....Good Luck

If you have never setup a heli, finding someone that has setup/flown a heli is a BIG PLUS.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Rhilluk

Are there any heli's which still use that manual collective instead of CCPM
Old 05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

You can either select the Kyosho Caliber 30 or an Ace TT Raptor 30 V2. These are just two of many more trainer type models yopu can choose frm. Go to the RUNRYDER web site and toss out the same question.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:17 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ovgron,
Do give us more information about what you want to do?
1. Do you have access to a flying field that allows Nitro? Or live far enough out in the country that you can fly a Nitro bird without offending the neighbors?
2. Do you want something electric that you can fly in your house?
3. Do you want something electric that you cn fly in your back yard or at the local park?

Those three catagories are largely mutually exclusive.

What budget do you have?
Does your budget allow for a simulator?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: foofydoo

Are there any heli's which still use that manual collective instead of CCPM
My T-Rex uses a single servo and mechanical mixing for the collective, with a single servo for aileron and a single servo for elevator. Is that what you are asking?
As I understand it, it is modeled closely after the Raptor line of Nitro helis.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

Raptor 50V2
OS 50SX-H
Futaba GY401/9254 servo
Futaba 7C or 9C radio

The Raptor 30 is a good starter heli, but the 50 will carry you for a longer time as it is more capable than the 30 size. If you can afford it, the 50 is just a better deal.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Rhilluk

Vince Herman, thats right, I have the old ff7 and was thinking if I could get a non CCPM machine
Old 05-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

there are a few good ones. Raptor with a OS37, or the raptor 50 (same bird with bigger blades and boom) and an OS 50 will do very nicely.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:41 AM
floatyboy

If electric micro. Just get an xrb lama. I don't have one but I've heard they are great to achieve a stable hover.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

If you have no experience then I think that you should first look at a simulator to start with the fact being that all of these other Heli's that everyone is throwing at you are fine but they WILL break if crashed and cost you big bucks to fix a sim you can crash all day and it will cost you nothing but will still teach you how to fly and believe me you will crash many times but the sim learning will reduce the risk of you crashing the real thing when you get it but mishaps do happen and you will eventually crash the real thing but with the sim training you can help control the severity of the crash because it will not be new to you and the panic factor will be less,I know that it may not be the answer you were looking for but all have to learn how to crawl before we walk and flying a heli is no different it is very difficult and takes a long time to learn I see you started with trucks so did I and I started with a sim and now have two Heli's and no trucks,I know that there are people that say jump right in and get a heli and learn well that is fine if you have more money than gray matter but I did not and so I spent the first $200.00 on a simulator and spent quite a lot of time learning how to hover on it and after many hours on it and learning how to hover I purchased my first collective pitch heli built it and hovered it on my first try.If you decide on a sim and learn from it when you get ready and decide you want to go with a electric heli E-Mail me and I will help you out as much as I can.You have chosen to get into one of the most difficult parts of RC there is to learn GOOD LUCK and if I can help in any way please let me know.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
RC Car GuideRC Truck Guide
Banned

Ovgron:
It is more challenging to Fly RC Helicopters than Planes,it will require lots of your pratice,but the rewards are well worth it.Most pilots start with at least a good simulator or an instructor to help themself out to learn to fly.Nobody wants to crash their helicopter on their first flight due to the
initial costs involved with the purchase of a helicopter.Ckeck out the helicopter ground school to learn more.RC helicopter kits are available as "full kit"(very few parts assembled) and 90%+ assembled,excluding the radio or the engine,basically assembled with engine,or nearly complete and complete RTF with engine,gyro and radio.Package deals that should include the engine,gyro and radio are the best beginner's setups usually.In fact,most of the people prefer the nitro gas powered remote control helicopters because they sound more like real one than the electric models.Personally I like the fact that for the nitro powered helicopter,you can fly as long as you like, just fill more gas.However,with the electric model,you fly it for about 8 to 10 minutes and
you either have to have extra battery packs(not cheap!) or a battery charge to charge the batteries.Super quiet is one of the best things about the electric model,so if you are planning on flying often where there's no noise restrictions,then the electric model would be the best choice,
otherwise,stick with the gas model.The most cost effective way for the beginner to learn how to fly an rc helicopter is to get the Radio Control**Dave Brown RCFS 2001 Flight Simulator-DAV7001.It will pay for itself in the 30 seconds of use---it gets expensive crashing model
helicopters, Simulators are close enough to the real one to teach you a lot,learning how to react to the controls should benfit all new pilots.

Some people will only be interested in the real thing,however,if you preffer to start with the actual model,we recommend .30 size rc helicopter due to the initial costs and the coasts of repair kits.Some good beginner rc helicopters are the Radio Control * Thunder Tiger Raptor V.2
RTF Helicopter 49 BB Pro Mod Engine-TTR 4839-A11 shown below and the Kyosho Nexus. These helicopters have belt driven and are much more precise.When performing 3D maneuvers than torque rod driven tail rotors are.You can star with the Raptor 50 if you have some experience,The Radio Control*Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 High Performance Helicopter
Kit w/ Engine- TTR 4851 K 11 is slightly bigger and a little more expensive than the Raptor 30,but it has a slightly larger rotor disc,parts compatability with the Raptor 30 series,also has extra power,and a couple of really good upgrade parts and a very sweet muffler!There are several key selling points about the raptor:It flies very well with no extra upgrade parts required.It is duarable,and strong enough for the rigors of 3D aerobatics.It's not difficult to assemble,service,and repair. You can tame it down to be a stable machine to learn with,you can also change settings and rip around anytime,and show off your 3D maneuvers to everyone.
so raptor .30 is the best beginners RC Helicopter.

regards
Old 05-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Ovgron

Thanks for the help guys.

I might have to hold off on Heli's for awhile seeing as how I just bought a Jeep, another X-factor, a Mammoth, and a Novak brushless mtoro set in the last week and a half. I first gotta get the tranny rebuilt on my Jeep, get it regeared, fix/clean up the interior, re upholster, and so on.

I dont mind getting a $100 - $150 simulator (Hope I dont sound too cheap) to learn the basics. I did some research and the Raptor 50 seems like the best overall Heli after I learn what Im doing. I plan on starting with something crappy like one of those small indoor electrics like a Walkera or Dragonfly.

Excuse me if I sound nubbish to helicopters... but I am.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
B.T.D.T.

Don't rule out the Sceadu Evolution (EVO50). I just pick one up last month and started to fly it this week. Rock steady. If you read the postings on RunRyder and talk to the pilots at your field. Some say that the EVO is more steady for hovering & does 3D right out of the box. I was at the field yesterday talking to one of the pilots. He now has the EVO50. He use to have the Raptor. He claims it you upgrade the parts for the Raptor it flys great. Why paid more to upgrade when you can get a solid bird right out of the box.

Also if you will be relying on others for help in the field, you should get what they have because they now that heli.