Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heading lock gyro

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 AM
!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading lock gyro

I just got my first heading lock gyro and I didn’t realize that heading lock meant that it doesn’t centre the servo so I would of thought that would make it harder to fly so why would it be designed like that why would anyone want a gyro like this obviously I’m missing something but what?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heading lock gyro

Take a read through the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342744]EHBG[/link]
It discusses head hold gyros in some detail.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
!

Thank for that so people who are not beginners would normally get a yaw rate gyro
Old 05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

No, there is no known expert flyer that does not use a Heading Hold Gyro. Just about all intermediary pilots use HH too. There are some entry level heli kits that come with rate gyros but 99% are replaced with HH gyros as soon as the pilot figures out how good a HH gyro is.
Not returning to center is just a characteristic of HH mode on the ground. In flight it will work fine. The servo arm does not return to center on the ground because when you moved the rudder stick, you told the HH gyro you wanted to rotate at a certain speed for a certain time. Since the heli is just sitting there on the bench, the gyro knows the tail hasn't moved and continues to try to swing the tail around by deflecting the rudder. If you give jus a tiny rudder input to say swing the nose right the servo arm will stay deflected. Now rotate the entire heli nose right and eventually the servo arm will return to center - when the HH gyro is satisfied the heli turned as far as the rudder stick commanded.

Fritz

P.S. Grammar and punctuation are your friends.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:46 PM
B.T.D.T.

The gyro's I've used 15 years back was mechanical type. I just start back and now gryos are different. I've got the GY401 w/9254 as they said is the one to get. During setup I said the same thing, the servo did not self center. In HH mode the tail just sits at the position you move the rudder to and does not return. That just baffles me. When I got to the field and used it HH mode, the tail was rock solid. I was very impressed the way the tail just stays in that position when I move the heli around. It makes flying much easier.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 PM
efergie72
My Feedback: (1)

And if for what ever reason you want it to center just wiggle the rudder stick back and for at least three times and it will center for you. Till you move the rudder stick again that is. I usually start the heli, move it to the launch pad, wiggle the the stick and then spool up. Keeps the nose from swinging around to what ever position you may have had it in when you turned the heli on.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:51 AM
!

Thanks for that I will be flying it tomorrow I was a bit worried thinking this will be awkward but now my mined is at rest, cant wait until tomorrow
Old 05-13-2005, 08:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Its like when Europeans come to the USA and drink thier beer cold for the first time. They never want to go back!

Trust me you'll love HH and the behavior you see on the ground is perfectly normal.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Norrmannen

Heuh, no one in my country serve beer warm.....intentionally. We've had fridges for as long as I can remember and I'm not very young...Have been over most of Europe except the UK and everywhere else I've only been served cold beer but I've heard rumours about "cervoise" that are served in strange ways...
Up here on the same latitude as Hudson Bay we like it cold at least....

Europe is made up of many countries with rather big cultural differences btw.....if you bother to notice hmpf...