Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Is my GY401 working ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:09 AM
hawk456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my GY401 working ?

Hi

I have a GY401 installed in my first ever helicopter (Shogun 400). When I try to test the gyro by rotating the helicopter in either direction, the rudder servo does not even move at all. Is this normal ? I have tried this in HH and Normal mode, there is no difference.

I'm sure I have everything hook up correctly and had checked my TX setting as per instruction. The GY401 is brought up in HH mode with the steady light on top, and everything else seem to be normal.

When I tried to bring up helicopter, the tail spinned almost out of control in HH mode, slightly better in normal mode! Any idea on what I'm missing ?

Appreciated any suggestion.

Thanks for helping
Old 05-19-2005, 04:33 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Is my GY401 working ?

When I tried to bring up helicopter, the tail spinned almost out of control in HH mode, slightly better in normal mode! Any idea on what I'm missing ?
Are you sure you have the gyro set for the right direction? What are your gains set at (normal and HH)? Other then that, I'm not sure what to tell you. The 401 is a very user friendly gyro, I have three of them and never had a problem with any of them.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Norrmannen

Does it respond to rudder stick? In the right direction?
What are your settings? (Gain/Delay/ATV)
Really fast spinning can be the result of gyro working in the wrong direction, that is it senses movement and in stead of compensating it increases piro speed. You might need to reverse the gyro.
Set to non digital servo?

Seems strange that it does not try to counter rotate, it usually does.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

I had the same thing on my Shogun, the Gyro was reversed.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:16 PM
hawk456

My Gain setting is AVC 80% - AVC 60% - Normal 60% (same as the example on the GY401 instruction manual), Delay is set at 0, ATV for Rudder is 70/70, GYR is 100/100, DS switch is set to off, and I had tried both reverse and non-reverse. With the correct direction, it seems working better, but still could not stop the spin, especially in HH mode. I also tried reversing the rudder from my TX, it's been a little confusing, but overall, it became worst if the direction was wrong.

The rudder response is quite normal. It moves in the right direction. In HH mode, the rudder does not go back to center after I move it to either side. I believe this should be normal. In normal mode, it responses as it should.

In short, the gyro does everything else as expected, except the counter rotation. However, I did this test on the bench, without the motor running. According to some posts, it should still move the rudder servo, am I correct ?

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:03 PM
RotorNut

Yes, that's correct it should move as long as the power is on. Here are a few things to check.

1. make sure your connections are good. From the rudder channel to the gyro and from the gyro to the tail rotor servo,

2. Set your Atv's on the radio to 100% both ways. And set the travel limit of the servo with the travel limit pot on the gyro for full throw with no binding both ways.

3. Check that you have the least amount of resistance in the t/r control system as possible. Push rod, bell crank, tail slide, ect...

4. Make sure that the t/r is mechanically set up correctly and working properly.

If all of the connections are correct and the servo is working right. Make sure your in heading hold and pick up the heli and spin it one direction 360 deg if the servo doesn't move then you probably got a problem with the gyro.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:49 PM
hawk456

Thanks for all the suggestions here.
When I put the gyro in Normal mode, I think I can get to the point to hover around 1-2 feet high. It is not pretty, but exciting. However, I don't think I'm getting anywhere with HH mode, I'm going to take in out and send to Futaba to check it out ! (I just need to find the receipt and I'm sure it is here somewhere.) Until then, I may try to pick up a cheaper single mode gyro, is it a good idea for novice ?

So far, I got about 5 min of actually air time plus a lot of spinning on the ground, and I already torn 3 tail output gears, the tail input gear is also in very bad shape. Is this very common for beginner ?

Anyway, I've just order a "speed up blue gear" and hope it will last longer when it comes.

Meantime, I guess I have to watch someone else flying !

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
`3D
My Feedback: (1)

If you unplug the sense wire(yellow) it will default to normal mode....did you set the servo travel with the pot on the gyro??