Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

My new heli...1st heli!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

My new heli...1st heli!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:46 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new heli...1st heli!

I am one of the luckiest guys I know. I just inherited this beauty. I never flew a heli for real, but I have been flying various ones on the sim for the last year. Backwards flight, hovering, either way, inverted flight too all feel comfortable. Most moves committed to muscle memory.

This Raptor 90 was aquired in a trade. It has a YS 91 in it, and a muscle pipe. Carbon fiber mains and tail blades. I am waiting for a transmitter right now, and already have training gear. I am a decent airplane pilot but this will be the beginning of my heli experience.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Jim C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49627.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	298747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95762.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	298748  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:19 PM
WhtBronco

Default RE: My new heli...1st heli!

Wow sweet heli. Good luck with it and take your time. It is a bit different than the sim. Actually I found it easier than the G2 sim, but still different.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Tek
My Feedback: (10)

The real thing was easier for me also instead of on G2. But you also have to realize that G2s helis are not very accurate.
I am not sure if you want to start out on a 91 heli. That is a whole lot of machine for even me and I have been flying for 3 years.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Charlie

Nice looking heli, but a 90 is not a good heli for a beginner, they are way to expensive to fix and very hard on fuel. I would recommend setting it aside for now and finding yourself a cheap 30 size to learn to fly if you really want to get into flying helis, one good crash with that 90 will cost you about as much as a good used 30 size heli.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:03 AM
jcflysrc

Yes....I have considered this. At this time I am still considering my course of action. BTW I have a buddy who is an excellent heli pilot, the previous owner, and I expect that will shorten the learning curve a little. I think I WILL get a smaller heli and "save" the 90, and my bucks. I have seen it flown a few times, and it's awesome! Definately something to work toward.

Jim C
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 PM
WhtBronco

Good call. Once you learn to fly that heli will be amazing for you. I'd sure like to have a 90 size machine, but I can't justify the cost over my 50.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 PM
jcflysrc

That's what the guy I got it from said too. His R50 is his beater. He liked the stability or "smoothness" of the 90. Just too expensive to fly compared to his 50. I'm sure I will fall into the same situation with the expense. Keep in mind however, I have NO dollars in this bird, except for the JR XP8103 I just bought. All I will ultimately have in this heli is some time. I traded a service for it, that only requires my time. Heh heh.

I'm considering a Tiger 50 as an alternate starter heli. I understand that parts are supposed to be cheap and the price of the ARF certainly seems to be a good value. Anyone have opinions on the Tiger 50?

Jim C