Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

help begining with heli's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

help begining with heli's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 10:52 AM
thecheatscalc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help begining with heli's

ok now ive been reading up on helis for a little while now and have decided that this looks like a good hobby. ive read that the smaller ones are hard to learn on so i need to know what would be the best rc heli to start with/learn on? ive been looking at the dragonfly but... it seem that might not be the best thing to start on or ever use. so what would be the best BUGET heli? for a newbie?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:58 PM
thecheatscalc

Default RE: help begining with heli's

hmmm maybe a link to some other part of the forum where this has been discussed?

also i have a (or at least my brother does but never uses it) futaba 6ch 72MHZ 16 FM jr propo [link=http://www.greatmodeldeals.com/buy/pics/JRPquattrolite.jpg]"Quattro"[/link] that he uses for his broken plane. on which the wings have been broken is there any way to make it work with a heli? and could this make a heli less expensive for me? or would this just make for a good upgrade?
Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Some suggested reading.
http://www.ronlund.com click on Starting Out Lots of good info there.

Also http://www.heliproz.com has some great beginner info on it.

Word of warning. The words "budget" and "cheap" and RC Helicopters go together like Bush and Bin Laden.

To fly any of the modern collective pitch helicopters you will need atleast a 6 channel radio with helicopter programming.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:07 AM
thecheatscalc

i knew someone was going to say that but what would work for under some thing like $200.00 or under (preferably under) i am going to crash this thing and i need money to fix it too. . . i know ill probably get a better one later.

i know a decent (traning) one should cost less then 200 (not including controller) because i built a full size hovercraft with no propulsion for only $125 that could hold up to 300-350 lbs

also "budget" and cheap could be used too im fully open to that option as well
Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
thecheatscalc

sorry hate to double post but... heres a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-RC-HELICOPTER-DRAGONFLY-3D-6CH-ZOOM-400_W0QQitemZ5993479207QQcategoryZ2563QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem]HELI[/link]
i found *hopes no one after seeing this bids on it* i was wanting to know what do you think of it i read some reviews (different sites) on it and they said it was one of the few "good/reliable" ones that walkera makes PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK as there are only 20 hours left and i would llike a prewarning.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 PM
evlfkr
My Feedback: (2)

I say its all about how bad you want to learn and (budget) i've heared the good and the bad about all walkera/dragonfly heli's but to tell you the truth i've been flying a hummingbird v3 for almost a year and can hold it in a hover all day if I need to its all in how determined you are, but know this if you want to start out on a walkera or any heli for that matter don't buy it with a gear driven tail, belt driven only (trust me) !! [link]http://cgi.ebay.com/Walkera-Dragonfly-36-6CH-3D-AEROBATIC-HELICOPTER-NEW_W0QQitemZ5991791827QQcategoryZ2563QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem[/link] the first flight your gonna bust the gears, a walkera 36 is the same as a shogun if you take your time it will fly excellent ! let me know what you decide?!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
thecheatscalc

hey that looks excelent *looks for money* right now i have a tiny budget and im trying to get more so here's a question-is it possible that i could mod from gear to belt easily? or would that take quite a bit?

and would the gear strip THAT easily i would go light on it and if it breaks can't i get some metal ones for pretty cheap?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:16 PM
evlfkr

I'm pretty sure you can even with small mods. if you have to, did you win itLet me know drop me an email.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM
thecheatscalc

no need for an email i didn't win it (i think some viewers bid on it after me posting [:@] it so im not going to do that again) but i'm still looking and have found some that are modded with belts... if you find some thing for really cheap (must be 6ch heli and really cheap) please feel free to email me.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:55 PM
thiokol

Hi all.
I have a problem with the honey bee 2,which i have had for less than a day.Can one of you experienced people out there help me with the following please?
I plug the batt into the heli with the transmitter on,but the heli wont calibrate,in fact,after a few seconds it shot off on its own cutting my girlfriends leg.This was with no imput on the transmitter,the heli seems to have a mind of its own,just keeps making electronic noises and the electronics for the rotors just keep moving non stop.I read the manual front to back and have done everything right,and yet the 6ch receiver on the heli becoms hot! surley thats not right?PLEASE,can one of you "know it guys" advise? I would be so obliged,thank you.[&o] Iwanted a chopper,not a chain saw!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 PM
thecheatscalc

check for interference, make sure the controller has good batterys and is turned on FIRST, also make sure the crystal is in correctly. i am still a begienner (rookie?) at knowing heli's but im getting better, so those are some basic problems you might have

ps: did you preflight check it?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:44 AM
thiokol

Hi,thanks for your reply.Batts are good in controller,i took all the kit well away from electrical equipment,and the crystals seem to be fine.Strangly,the heli is fine until i turn on the transmitter!It seems the controller is causing the problem. Flying it will be hard enough,this is so frustrating.As far as pre-flight checks are concerned,i did everything the manual said.Once again,thanks for your time,i appreciate it
Old 08-17-2005, 08:42 AM
thecheatscalc

make sure the black (ifyou have them) adjusters next to the controls are centered. also look for bent servo rods, missing ones, and ones not connected, also make sure the swash plate is level with servos neutral.

oh MAKE SURE it's not on 3D mode when you turn it on that makes the engine rev up to max so if the servos are unaligned your goning to get a haywire heli, im not very knowligable on adjusting servos and blade pitches but make sure the blades are level
Old 08-17-2005, 11:54 AM
thiokol

Hi,thanks for your reply.I followed everything you said and got a green light on the heli,but the servos still kept trying to adjust themselves and just wont settle.Because of my first experience of this problem ruined the first set of rotors,a return is out of the question.I appreciate your help,but this heli is a real headache,and i just dont have any other ideas.[&o]
Old 08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
thecheatscalc

try removing the rods then let the servos settle... that might work... and make sure your antenna is all the way in and the antenna on the heli is AWAY from the circut boards as these cause interference. try putting it down the tail or just free hanging. also post pics of the whole thing that would be tremendously helpful and if all else fails send it to me (for keeps of course ).(you could if you really wanted to...)
Old 08-17-2005, 01:53 PM
thiokol

Thanks for the reply.Still have the same problem.I still dont see why the receiver gyro on the heli gets warm,i appreciate all the help but i am confused.Could it be wired up wrong maybe?The heli is fine as long as the controller is off,it calibrates perfectly, then turns into a spastic when i switch it on.I love reading all the threads about you guys flying,i feel left out.Am out of ideas.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:58 PM
thecheatscalc

wait.... i'm guessing that your gyro might be set up backward! there should be a switch on it to reverse it, try that

it might be trying to comphensate which is swinging it around the wrong way (swinging with the main blades not against), which it then tryes to comphensate for that uncalled for swing (that's what gyros do you know) causing it to go wacky,swing all over the place and wreck your heli.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:07 PM
thecheatscalc

I CAN'T [:@] BELIEVE i FORGOT about the gyro being reversable *slaps head* so does it work thinkol?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
evlfkr

whats your budget for heli? try this [link]http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WALKERA-ZOOM-400-V2-RC-3D-HELICOPTER-KIT-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ5991843385QQcategoryZ2563QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem[/link]
Old 08-17-2005, 02:58 PM
thiokol

hi,i cant find a reverse switch,and there is not one on the controller.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
evlfkr

this should work for you [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=120216[/link]
Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
thecheatscalc

elfkir as time goes on it grows (slowly) but right now it's at $37.01

thinkol mount the gyro on the other side of the tail (it's on the tail right) or just mount it upside down, that should fix the problem
Old 08-17-2005, 03:14 PM
thiokol

Sorry am a bit confused.Gyro on the tail?
Old 08-17-2005, 03:16 PM
thecheatscalc

just turn it up side down ad re mount it (the gyro is on the tail on walkera models...)
Old 08-17-2005, 03:18 PM
evlfkr

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60579.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	311412  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.