Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

too many Raptors

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too many Raptors

Could someone please tell me the differences in the Raptors? V2? SE? Are they all kits or are some ARF type? Also does Thunder Tiger have a web site that goes through each model?

Thanks,

Sheldon
Old 12-03-2005, 05:10 AM
AutoMike

Default RE: too many Raptors

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/intro.htm
Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Charlie

To make a long story short, the SE's come with some upgrade parts. The basic Raptor flies fine, most people that flies helis would never tell the difference between the standard Raptor and the Raptor SE other then some shinny parts. The SE's are for people that want to keep up with the Joane's .
Old 12-03-2005, 08:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Get the V2 and a metal washout base and one piece tail rotor hub and replace the tail rotor hub when you build it and the washout base when it gets sloppy (a few gallons). Spend the money you save on fuel. When you get some slop in the head block, which took me months and get into some serious 3d then get a metal head block as well and some hard dampeners.

The SE with its metal this and push pull that just makes it expensive to crash.

http://www.raptortechnique.com
Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Goldwing-RCU

Thanks so much for the help. I think I'm getting it. Is there a post here (I tried a search but after an hour I gave up) that has like a check list of items I need so I can put the budget together before I order the kit?

My first and last chopper was a GMP Cobra and that was like a million years ago!

Thanks,

Sheldon
Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Helicopter Kit
Engine os 50 or 50 hyper, stay away from tt motors. Despite what whtbronco says. (ask him which engine he is installing as we speak)
Radio, 7C, 9C or something will heli programming and 4 decent servos, 9252's if you can afford them.
Gyro 401/9254 combo is hard to beat.
Remote glow plug wire.
Snap ring pliers (small)
blue locktite
silicon dielectric grease
pitch gauge (don't need a fly bar lock or leveling one, the raptor has a 1:1 flybar ratio) just one that slips over the blade and sights on the flybar.
Scotch 3m outdoor mounting tape (double sided stuff for gyro and other components)
A decent size reciever battery.

Really nice to have:
Ball link pliers
OS crank lock tool.
Hardened metric hex driver set.
Ball link sizing tool.
JIS phillips screw driver set.

http://www.heliproz.com has great combo deals. Get a kit, I think the only arf is the 30 but don't bother, you're going to have to fix it so you're going to have to know how to put it together. The Heliproz line of Maverikk tools isn't snap on but it works well for what we do, esp thier hardened hex drivers.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 AM
WhtBronco

Follow Andy's(Barracudahockey) advice and you won't go wrong.

However, Andy is being a smart ***** here, I do run the TT50 engine and have had great results. I am installing an OS 50SXH, mostly to see if there's a difference. Thanks Andy for letting try the engine out. In the end I would also suggest an OS 50 simply because I have had several other OS engines and I know they will consistently run well with few adjustments needed. My TT50 engine seems to be rare in that it has run great right from day 1 with few adjustments. Most people end up fiddling with the TT engines until they junk it and buy an OS.

BTW, the Futaba 9252 servos rock, this coming from a JR guy.