Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BELT VS GEAR DRIVEN

Hello, I was wanting to know what you all thought would be better. A belt driven tail or a gear driven? Please help me out on this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: BELT VS GEAR DRIVEN

belt drive is better than rear motor because it offers more precise flying. the main motor spins the back also so it is working all with 1 motor which is better than 2 motors trying to work together.

only belt drive heli i know that is cheap is the walkera dragonfly 36 and 35. But I would not suggest you get these... I've read a lot of good reviews, but also a lot of bad. I think the bad ones especially on this forum are coming from beginners that dont know how to use it? haha

ive read a lot of good reviews also so it's their word vs someone elses.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am talking about nitro heli's. I was wondering what was better gear or belt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They both have their good points and bad.

Belt drive is simple, reliable and cheap to fix.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Comes down to personal preference, I think.

Except when talking about small helis. On a micro heli, belt is almost always better because gear is just too fragile. On larger helicopters though, they both have their good and bad points.

Belt gives smoother and quieter operation, it's easier to setup properly, but more of a pain to maintain. Belt tension needs to be relaxed when the helicopter is not in use, or you'll stretch the belt over periods of inactivity. Belt's wear out much quicker than gear drives, and have "play" in them that you don't get in a gear drive system.

Gear drives are more precise in their mix to the tail as they don't have the play that belt drives do. They're easier to maintain but can be a bit harder (for a newbie) to get proper gear meshing right. With a gear drive, once it's set, you forget it. Unlike a belt which may require tweaking every few flights as the belt wears down and stretches from use and storage. Gear drives are noisier than a belt drive, and can be the source of alot of vibration if not setup correctly, or it the transmission shaft has the slightest bend in it. They're a bit more finicky .

I think most people fly belt for simplicity. They both perform very well, with gear probably having a bit of an advantage (if setup correctly).
    Daniel
    True Northern Hobbies, Inc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I converted my gear-driven Corona 120 (30-size electric) to belt drive. It runs smoother and is MUCH more quiet with no mechanical noise at all. The OEM gear drive out of the kit was made from the cheapest materials and thus not of much quality. I'm sure if an upgrade gear/shaft drive were available it would be something to consider as an alternative to the belt drive.
    oooh, was that supposed to happen?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Concepts and Nexuses all had shaft drive tail rotors. It always made me nervous if you did a fast piro or a 540 stall turn because when you let go of the stick it always sounded like it was over stressing the whole system, like you were getting a backlash from the tail rotor unloading. It never broke anything but it sounded bad.
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Baracudahockey,

The gear drive systems in the Nexus and Concepts were very rudimentry systems. The modern torque tube drive systems are miles ahead of them. Very precise, durable and plug & play. That is why most all hot 3D extreme 60/90 helis use them (Predator, Eagle, Fury, Tempest, Vigour etc.). Now you can even find such systems on 50 size (Raven & Falcon) and 30 size (Hawk Pro).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I understand that. I'm not saying shaft drive is bad, just more complicated and more expensive to fix. A belt drive is nearly bullet proof. Ive flown the 90's with shaft drives and my 50's with belt drives. I can't tell that much difference when it comes to flight characteristics that alone relate to the tail drive.
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

Yes I understand that. I'm not saying shaft drive is bad, just more complicated and more expensive to fix. A belt drive is nearly bullet proof. Ive flown the 90's with shaft drives and my 50's with belt drives. I can't tell that much difference when it comes to flight characteristics that alone relate to the tail drive.
    I think it's unlikely most people would. In all practical theory, a shaft driven tail would be the most precise in it's mix and response. In reality however, the extreme minute differences between shaft and belt control are unlikely to be noticed except by the most savvy of pilots.

Basically, it's no big deal, they're both good systems. For most pilots, belt is probably the better choice if only because of simplicity and ease of use.
    Daniel
    True Northern Hobbies, Inc.