Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Colco GY400 AVCS Rate Gyro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Colco GY400 AVCS Rate Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:03 PM
sydr1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colco GY400 AVCS Rate Gyro

hello heli people.

Im waiting for delivery of my new raptor 30 v2, and cant wait. I had an old machine up until now which no one was interested in so i hope to be pickng your brains soon folks. Anyway, i had to sell my gy401 gyro and s9524 servo to part fund it. Does anyone know what the situation is with a Colco GY400 AVCS Rate Gyro is???? Will it do the job, is it an asian model re branded. I know they are cheap. Any feed back please!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:06 PM
sceadu37

Default RE: Colco GY400 AVCS Rate Gyro

nooooooo!!!!

should have kept the 401 even if it means not being able to afford the heli for a bit... its a stonking gyro for the price...

oh and ive heards that gy400 colco jobbie is a bag of poo
Old 03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

It's not a Futaba clone. It's just a simple HH rate gyro in a Futaba cloned case.
Don't expect any miracles from it. Will it work? Probably, but do you really want to risk your helicopter to a cheap gyro? I've seen both good and very bad reports on this gyro. Most seem to agree it's cheap and very finicky to setup, and you constantly need to re-trim it as it's very sensitive to temperature changes.

I'd just save up some extra cash and get another 401. Don't settle for anything less or you'll be dissapointed.

I've got a GY400 here now and it's just collecting dust. Sometimes you get lucky with cheap chinese stuff, sometimes you don't. But hey, that's half the fun of buying from overseas..
Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 AM
psychopat

bad, bad gyro.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Braff

I have the Colco GY400 AVCS Rate Gyro on my HBK2 and it flies just as good as the E-sky HH gyro. It flies very good in rate mode and holds the tail in gusts and backwards flight. I don't know where it ranks with the gy401 (never flown futaba gyro) and I don't know how it would hold up under professional competition. I also have a Colco GY400 on my E-sky Belt CP as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM
mundo330
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with Braff, I have a Colco Gy400 and it is not a bad gyro. I fly Futaba GY401's and JR 's This gyro is more like the old mechanical rate gyros. for basic flying on a basic electric it will do the job if it is adjusted properly. But for your Raptor I would save my bucks for a Futaba or JR gyro.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Charlie

Don't waste your money (even though it is only $17 bucks). Get yourself a good gyro/servo, the last thing you want to be worried about is your tail with your new heli.

I have one of those GY400's and I personally don't think it worth $17 bucks, it does hold "OK" in rate mode but forget about heading hold, it won't hold at all, it just seems to do what ever it wants (a topical case of you get what you pay for).
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM
gosa

I thought you couldn't go worng for 15$, but you can... It's absolute crap, some people might be luckier with it, but mine just does not work at all... I tried all possible gain settings, limit settings, it does just what it wants.
In rate mode it would wander off to the right, then 20s later to the left... In HH mode it did suddenly break out and only with a lot of luck I was able to stop it from spinning the heli (Belt CP) around. Even the stock ESKY rate gyro does a lot better!

GY-400: DANGEROUS, DON'T BUY IT!