Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New to helicopters, what to get

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New to helicopters, what to get

Old 04-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Doug K1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to helicopters, what to get

I've made the decision to get into helicopters and want to go electric but I'm not sure what to get. I do not see myself buying more then one helicopter at this time (I have kids and other expenses) so I want to do this right the first time. I'm aware there will be expenses with learning to fly and am prepared for that.

I want a helicopter to learn on but also be capable of other stuff in the future with out replacement. Some upgrades are okay in the future for performance gains. At this point the Blade CP seems to fit the bill the best for what I want and price wise. What I don't want is to get one that I will need to replace right away or does not have much in the way of capabilities.

Here are some of my questions:

Is the Blade CP a good unit to learn on.

Should I look at something a little larger since I may be learning and flying outside.

Are there any other helicopter you would recommend and maybe some links to info on them.

I would also consider a used one if it met the criteria I listed and any of you know of a good deal on one.

Thanks for any help you can give me on my decision.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New to helicopters, what to get

The bigger the heli the better and more stable it is,

a simulator is probably the best "first buy" choice

I never owned a blade cp directly, but from what i understand its identical to the honey bee 2 ( parts are even exchangeable) and i had one of those as a beginner heli and i would not recommend it unless you spent alot of time on a simulator first.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 AM
helisafestuff
My Feedback: (43)

Hi. You may want to consider a training stand to help you learn the adjustments and controls before you fly free inside the house or ouside. I used them and they helped a great deal.....saves needless crash expenses for sure. You can see the stand in the RC Universe classifieds under Helicopter Training Tools. Enjoy the hobby!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:49 AM
johnnyf

doug-i am new to helis too-bought an eflite blade cx-followed Radd's school of flight-and now can fly confidently-almost ready for a cp type heli-the cx is a multi rotor type heli which is recommended for beginners-you will be hovering in no time!!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:28 PM
dtl8686

Hey, just thought you might want to see this post on www.runryder.com beginner forum marked "newbies this will help". It should answer the questions you may have.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:39 PM
manu2005

I have the honeybee cp2. Its a pretty good heli and great for flying indoors but hard to control outdoors when there is just a little wind. The things that sucked for me: the tail motor will not last very long (you can buy a better one for arounfd 15$)and the included charger doesn't even work.
I now want something like the t-rex SE.
If you only want to buy one heli and be happy with it go for the trex. Probably the best electric heli out there. A complete almost ready to fly will cost about 1000$.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:13 PM
2 feathers

I'd recommend the Blade CP just becuase it sounds like you've been checking them out and you also are looking for a machine that you can not have to replace once you get the hang of flying.

The Blade CP has a lot of advantages because its small enough to fly indoors and it also flys well outside as well. It also has the ablility to be upgraded using additional parts as time goes on so you can stay with the same helicopter just upgrade it as your piloting skills increase without shelling out hundreds or thousands for a new helicoptor. I recommend not flying it in the house until you have mastered the skill of flying because it will only cost you money replacing blades and even more when you hit things inside your house...not to mention the heavier blades on the CP can cause a bit of damage to furniture if the should come into contact with it.

I seen a great suggestion in one of the threads above and that was getting a trainor for your CP if you do buy one because that will allow you to practice all the basic movements of your helicopter without the possibility of a crash which causes damage and unnessisary parts replacement.

Keep in mind that the CP takes a lot of practice and patience to fly and if your the type of person who may get discouraged easily helicopters may not be the hobby for you. Its gonna take some paractice depending of course how co ordinated you are. I read somewhere online someone compaired flying a helicopter to being able to balance a marble in the center of a piece of glass..it takes major consentration and unlike RC cars or planes its something you cannot allow your attention to lapse even for a split second when flying cause that can spell instant disaster for yout chopper.

I hope the input of myself and others on this thread have assisted you in making the right decision for you and I wish you the best with your new hobby whatever your decision.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Doug K1

Thanks for all the input. At this time I am leaning towards the blade CP.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
crxef9

blade cp for the good info support on forums and parts support online and your local hobby shop

cause u'll crash it
Old 04-17-2006, 10:38 PM
makg

Get the hummingbird v3...is real nice
Old 04-18-2006, 12:03 AM
-Inverted-

Go with the Honeybee CP2, similar to the blade cp, and many parts fit. It is cheaper, and comes with better features.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:29 PM
crashmaster bob

I too am looking for an electric to learn on. I have a sim, but no qualified help nearby.
looked at venom, and the blade cp. I bought a blade CX, and it flew apart on my
initial blade run up to check the tracking, I replaced the shaft but cant get it to fly.
I wondering if the blade brands are any good?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Make a day trip to Jax, you can get all the qualified help you can handle.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:35 PM
pmaster500

Eflite Blade CP or Humingbird CP2
which one for outside and inside
REFLEX XTG or G3 for sim?????

Thanks