Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Keep Crashing, Am I the Problem?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Keep Crashing, Am I the Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
SR71 Blackbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep Crashing, Am I the Problem?

I have some some issues. I have never attempted to fly before. I bought a Walkera Dragonfly 22D. Was that a bad choice? Anyway I haven't been able to fly it at all. I am going to practice with FMS simulator, I haven't yet . The other day I was outside trying fly in a parking lot when the wind caught it and flipped it over. Broke some minor things, but it also bent the control blades. The short ones that spin with the main blades. There pitch is all wrong now. One is OK but the other side is about 40 degrees or so out of whack. How can I get these back to what they should be set at. How can I learn how to properly set up my Helli? Somebody please help!!
Greg.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
vallon

Default RE: Keep Crashing, Am I the Problem?

Well first of all it looks like you need to repair the rotor head. Get new parts to be on the safe side. Then practice with a flight sim. I don't know much about the Dragonfly, but I think it is one of those little choppers that you could fly in a gym or on a non windy day. I hear those are a bit hard to control. Thats all the help I can give. I am sure there are some Dragonfly people on this thing that can better help you. I don't know how much setup you need to do to those, but I am sure you do need to do some.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few helicopters and find the Dragonfly a beast to fly.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: SR71 Blackbird
How can I learn how to properly set up my Helli?
Read a lot of posts here. Ask a lot of questions.

Here is the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477304]EHBG/Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide[/link] that will be a good place to start.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
geepfreek

it seams to me being a begainer myself your going ton crash alot when first starting every one at the lhs seems to agree so you dont have a problem your just learning.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
SR71 Blackbird

Vince, thanks for the link I will read that.
Is a pitch Gage for the main blades only? Would I need a Pitch Gage with a FP Helli? The two smaller ones that control the Helli look to have a little pitch to them. Those are the ones that I tweaked. I see they are adjustable pitch with lock nuts to secure them. Should I just eye ball them to look the same, or is there a way to measure them. Thanks. has anyone had experience with the dragonfly 22d? Is it harder to fly then any other micro. Is it good for beginners? Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: SR71 Blackbird

Vince, thanks for the link I will read that.
Is a pitch Gage for the main blades only?
Yes, the pitch gauge is for main blades.
Would I need a Pitch Gage with a FP Helli?
Nope, collective helis only
The two smaller ones that control the Helli look to have a little pitch to them.
Paddles. These should be flat if the servos are centered and the swash plate is flat.
Those are the ones that I tweaked. I see they are adjustable pitch with lock nuts to secure them. Should I just eye ball them to look the same, or is there a way to measure them.
The first ten times that I twisted mine, I measured them as accurately as I could. The next several hundred times that I mashed them, I just twisted them by hand. I found it easier to twist then 90 degrees out of orientation and then twist them back. If I tried to make small corrections, I could never get it accurate.
Thanks. has anyone had experience with the dragonfly 22d? Is it harder to fly then any other micro. Is it good for beginners? Thanks
Yes, harder to fly. Yes, good for beginners. After struggling with my Fixed Pitch heli, the more capable T-Rex was a dream to fly. Easy. Predictable. Easy.

Keep going. Read a lot. Ask questions. Let us know how you do.

Oh, here is another helpful link.

[link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT[/link]
Old 05-09-2006, 06:57 AM
SR71 Blackbird

Thanks again Vince. The next hundred times I mashed them...hahaha. Looks like you had your share of crashes. I need to order a new frame and training gear, then I'll be ready to take to the sky or the ground again. I'm going to beat this bird, because now I see it as a competition that I have to win. haha.
Greg.