Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Idle up switch on CP2

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:55 AM
papermaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle up switch on CP2

I have had a CP2 for about a month now and can hover it reasonably well. The other day I was wanting to see how the idle up feature worked. I am by no means ready to do any inverted hovering but I held the helicopter by the landing skids and throttled it up. After the blades were spinning, I had someone flip the idle up lever to test it out. The lever appeared to do nothing at first. After setting the lever in the off position and moving it back to the on position a few times it managed to work only once and only for a few seconds. Does anyone know if maybe I am not doing something right, is it a transmitter problem, or is it a 4 in 1 problem on the helicopter? Hopefully it is something that I am doing wrong or else I guess that this one will never fly inverted with this radio set up (I don't see me doing any inverted flying for some time. Just wanted to know that it worked). Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Truglodite

Default RE: Idle up switch on CP2

sounds like the idle up switch in your transmitter is broken. a replacement from radio shack would be best, since i doubt esky will replace it for you (any SPST switch will do as long as it fits the hole in your transmitter). on my cp2 the idle up works every time. to make sure it's your switch, try holding the heli again, spin it up, switch to idle up, then play with the collective. if the motor revs up as you move the stick down below middle, then the switch works.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: papermaker

I have had a CP2 for about a month now and can hover it reasonably well. The other day I was wanting to see how the idle up feature worked. I am by no means ready to do any inverted hovering but I held the helicopter by the landing skids and throttled it up. After the blades were spinning, I had someone flip the idle up lever to test it out. The lever appeared to do nothing at first. After setting the lever in the off position and moving it back to the on position a few times it managed to work only once and only for a few seconds. Does anyone know if maybe I am not doing something right, is it a transmitter problem, or is it a 4 in 1 problem on the helicopter? Hopefully it is something that I am doing wrong or else I guess that this one will never fly inverted with this radio set up (I don't see me doing any inverted flying for some time. Just wanted to know that it worked). Has anyone else had this problem?
Did you move the collective stick around after you flipped to idle up?

If the collective stick was in a position (in normal mode) where it was simular to the same settings in Idle Up, then you wouldn't see any significant change in flight characteristics. Typically, an aerobatic set up will have 0 pitch at mid-stick for both normal and idle up. Switching between the two modes while the stick was in this position wouldn't "appear" to do anything.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Zik

you can also put idle up on while connecting the battery to the 4in1 controller. If the LED just does the normall thing, and ends up lighting up green, then its really broke yeh. If you get red, then it does see its in idle up, so maybe something else is wrong then. Because the heli doesnt calibrates itself when its in idle up, so the light always have to be red then.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:26 AM
papermaker

I have tried moving the collective control up and down after I put it in the idle up mode (nothing happens). I will try leaving it in the on position and power up the heli and see if the light stays red if nothing there I am going to make a trip to Radio Shack for a new switch. Thanks so much for your help on this issue we will see what happens.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:07 PM
patboy24

hey papermaker , how do u hover whith a cp2, ive tride and only hoped (even on full power too) . thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:32 PM
RCer22

When it's in idle up mode no matter where you put the throttle stick up or down the motor will not decrease in RPM.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
papermaker

I found out the problem with my idle up switch. The problem was in the switch itself. I went to radio shack and bought a switch from them and installed it and know it works fine. I hadn't thought about that being the issue. Thanks all for you input and patboy24 it took a lot of practice and sliding it around on the garage floor with the training gear attached. I have found that my heli will hover at jsut a little over half throttle. Believe it or not I only trashed 2 sets of blades in the learning process. It is still a handfull (which I guess any heli is) but I am getting better each time I fly it. I really needs to be trimmed out but to really get it trimmed out well I found that it needs to be above the ground effect when it is hovering. Keep trying and one day when you get if working right you will be having a blast with it. I have noticed that when it is in the idle up mode that the throttle won't go below about half throttle. I think that this is what the manual says it should do.