Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newbie question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
CntrySngr72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question...

I am a newbie to RC heli's. I've had cars and a hovercraft, but nothing in the air. I would like to get started with electrics and hopefully someday move into the big guys...so, I did a little research and these are the two I am considering for my first purchase:

[link=http://www.hobby4less.com/prod_heli_df4.htm]Dragonfly 4[/link] for about $80 (not including shipping) - 4 ch

or

[link=http://www.hobby4less.com/prod_heli_df22e.htm]Dragonfly 22E[/link] for about $120 (again, no shipping) - 6 ch

I'm also considering this one, but not at the top of the list unless you really feel like its the best choice...

[link=http://www.hobby4less.com/prod_heli_hb5.htm]Honey Bee CP2[/link] $190 - 6 ch

Each comes with a trainer set, and I plan on using them for sure!! I'm also planning on spending time in front of a simulator. I am a gamer, used to two joysticks, but I imaging that won't really be too much of a help...although it is with the hovercraft.

Anyway, I've been lurking and watching your comments to folks, and I wanted to get your opinions. Should I start with a 4 ch, or go to the 6 for $40 more? I am looking for opinions, not necessarily expert advice. Seriously though, I would like to hear from those of you who fly heli's and see what you think. I plan on also taking things REALLY slow...I have a friend who crashed his Heli the other day on his 3rd attempt because he was getting to anxious. Needless to say the tree won. He hadn't even mastered hovering yet!! I'm not going to be like that - I am patient...

Anyway...I appreciate the feedback. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
21cwsuper6

Default RE: Newbie question...

I just got my honey bee cp2 from ebay for $170, shipped. I can give you the retialer if you like but i just bought it yesterday and so I can't vouch for their speed or quality.
PS- there's no such thing a n00b question, just a n00b that answers it.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Makuku68

The best helicpter for the price is An E-Flite Blade CP. Perfect for beginners to learn and upgrade on. It comes with everything you need except training gears. Those are only $10.00. Parts availability are everywhere. You can fly this indoors and outdoors also. And yes, take your time, don't rush. I've had my CP for several months now and I have not broken anything yet and that's only cause I'm patient with flying it.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
CntrySngr72

I looked at the e-Flite Blade CP, but that's a bit more than I am ready to spend right now. That's why I was looking into these less expensive models. Not 100% sure this is the right hobby for me. I don't want to spends hundreds until I'm sure I am really going to enjoy flying hilo's.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM
CntrySngr72

I looked on e-bay...what seller did you use?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Makuku68

Look into a Sabre. It's sells for about $150.00 RTF. It looks pretty good.

Makuku68
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
helidreamer-RCU

ok if anything, the honey bee cp2 is BETTER than the blade cp. The reason is because it comes with a LiPo battery, a bell-hiller head (this is more responsive than the blade's head), its cheaper, and practically all parts between the Blade CP and Honey Bee CP2 are interchangable. Of course, between the helis that you told me, the best one would be Honey Bee CP2, but for a complete beginner, I would personally suggest going 4ch as they are more durable because there are less rotating parts. However, if you want more control OVER the helicopter, it would be good to get the 6ch heli and with it purchase some very durable blades called plastiblades.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
CntrySngr72

I would like the 6CH because I would like the challenge as well as the fact that once I did get the hang of hovering, and FF I could move on to other things like some of the 3D acrobatics (I realize this is a way's down the road). With the 4CH I couldn't do that and would have to invest in another helicopter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:06 PM
-Inverted-

The best helicpter for the price is An E-Flite Blade CP.
Actually, the Honeybee CP2 is the best for the price. For $180 shipped I got a brand new helicopter, with two li-po's, a bell hiller head, main motor with 9t pinion, and symmetrical blades. The CP2 is much better to learn on because the idle-up is on the left side, just like "real" radios. The BCP's is on the right, so when you upgrade to a bigger heli you could possibly be hitting the wrong switch; and we ALL know what happens when you hit the wrong switch.....[sm=drowning.gif]

-Inv-
Old 06-20-2006, 03:15 PM
CntrySngr72

Inverted, can you give me the site you got that off of? The best I have found so far is BestDU - with the trainers - but not two batteries...would like to have a second...
Old 06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
helidreamer-RCU

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

The best helicpter for the price is An E-Flite Blade CP.
Actually, the Honeybee CP2 is the best for the price. For $180 shipped I got a brand new helicopter, with two li-po's, a bell hiller head, main motor with 9t pinion, and symmetrical blades. The CP2 is much better to learn on because the idle-up is on the left side, just like "real" radios. The BCP's is on the right, so when you upgrade to a bigger heli you could possibly be hitting the wrong switch; and we ALL know what happens when you hit the wrong switch.....[sm=drowning.gif]

-Inv-
Exactly what i said in my previous post
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 AM
neweheliflyer

I will recommend you go for the [link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=10]Esky CP2 rc helicopter[/link], Esky is better quality than the Walkera helicopter
Old 06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
CntrySngr72

I appreciate all of the feedback. I would really like to get a Honey Bee CP2, and I probably will in a few months, however I think I am going to start with the 4CH Walkera. It just seems like that's the smarter thing to do since I am just learning. Once I get used to how it flies, I'll upgrade to the Esky HB CP2.

Thanks for your input!

Edit: Okay wait...I just realized what you said about the throttle - when you say "big guys" are you talking the gas powered? (GLOW, I believe?) If so, then perhaps getting a CP2 with the left throttle would be better for me - because if I really DO get into this hobby, that's where I will want to end up...

Great...back to the decision board...
Old 06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
dannoh40

my only advice for you as a beginner (like me) don't buy any thing with a motor for the tail.they burn out fast,fast,fast. and if you upgrade to li-po...forget it...that little tail motor will fry in less then a minute. Repete after me...I will not own a tail motor, I will not own a tail motor [:@]
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
zacariousvonstalton

well just read your posts. I too am looking to by my first heli and can't decide between 4ch or 6ch I am looking to eventually fly nitro's but I need to learn so 4ch or 6ch????????
Old 06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
21cwsuper6

OK, it was $170 incl. shipping to get the honeybee cp 2, try this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR41QQfviZ1
or this item number:
He still has 17 availible. The honeybee cp2 can use practically every part that the blade cp does which means that the part availiblilty and part price is not a valid argument.
EDIT: looks like Hobby Lobby international has it for $150 but with $8 ground shipping, save $12.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:52 PM
CntrySngr72

I'm going with a 4 ch. I've decided that it will be best for me to learn on first, and then work my way up to a 6 and then to nitro...

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6067063462&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1]This is the Heli I ordered[/link] - its a Walkera Dragonfly 4 (ver. 2) 4ch kit complete with Training kit, crash kit (extra tail and main blades), 2 batteries, and the sim cable for the computer. $75.99 plus $30 for shipping. It's a mode 2 transmitter as well.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it. I guess I'm being cautious, but I think its the smarter way to go for me...I may be sorry and wish I went with the 6ch CP2, but we'll have to wait and see!

Happy Hobbying!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:24 PM
21cwsuper6

the only thing is, it'll be hard to sell that 4ch and then you'll still being paying full price for a 6ch but what I chose isn't everyone's style. Good luck anh happy flying!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 PM
CntrySngr72

I probably wouldn't sell it anyway. I'd use it to train friends, family, etc. in the future. Besides, if I don't feel this is the hobby for me, I'm not out as much money either.

I'm sure I'll love it, and I'm sure I'll be getting that CP2 before autumn, and then you can tell me "I told you so", how's that!?!?