Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
austintyler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

I have a question I asking of my fellow Falcon buddies. I have been thinking about a sim (G3.5). The problem is I have very limited funds and I want to one day upgrade to a Trex or something equal. I can fly forward ok, figure 8's and simple stuff thats it. Should I save money for my Trex fund or would a Sim purchase be a better idea? Which decision would help me improve with this hobby the most, buying a sim soon($200) or a Trex ($650) much later on like in a years time??

Whats your opinion or what have some of you already done? This is a lame post and I apologize, but I would like some advice from some hobbyist who own the falcon and who own both a falcon and a Trex

Any input is greatly appreciated, Thank you

BTW I own a Falcon, Blade Pro, and a Micron V2
Old 05-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Carbsumer

ORIGINAL: austintyler

I have a question I asking of my fellow Falcon buddies. I have been thinking about a sim (G3.5). The problem is I have very limited funds and I want to one day upgrade to a Trex or something equal. I can fly forward ok, figure 8's and simple stuff thats it. Should I save money for my Trex fund or would a Sim purchase be a better idea? Which decision would help me improve with this hobby the most, buying a sim soon($200) or a Trex ($650) much later on like in a years time??
I'm about where you are skill-wise.

Can you imagine yourself going inverted without practicing it in a sim first? Hovering upright was easy to learn because you can set it down if you run into trouble, but if you're upside down, your blades hit the ground first by default.

Anyway, you'll definitely need a sim to move your skills much further. I'm using G3.5, and I fly the MX400 from the first expansion pack (very similar to the Falcon 3D). People say Phoenix and Reflex are the best heli simulators, but I picked G3.5 because it has hovering and heli orientation training built it, and dozens of training videos. I'm still early on the learning curve but it seems very realistic. It also has the biggest user community, though the user-contributed helicopters never seem quite right.

Tower hobbies is offering a $25 gift certificate if you buy RealFlight G3:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...gpmz4405m.html

And if you look at the front page of the site they're offering $25 off orders of $150 or more:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

They'll throw in free shipping if you're a member, so G3 will only end up costing you $150 shipped. Still would pay for a lot of replacement parts, but you'll more than make up for it with the hours and hours of repair time you save. Plus, you can fly on rainy days like today.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM
DarkSide41

ORIGINAL: Jakecd7

Darkside,

Great looking and great job on the arrow shaft. Great idea too way to be creative and make it functional as well. About your motor noticed from the pic it has no heat sink does it not require one? how hot does it get after a flight or two. I'm sure you have enought video's specially the one from Hobby Lobby does it seem like it has the same power? I'm curious becuase I have the same motor as well I just got it and have not done anything with it not even powered it up just sitting in the box looking pretty. Let me know.

JL
From what I have researched , the motor is a new Outrunner design . Not bad for an Ebay heli I guess
It definitely has power to spare . I flipped the 3D switch for the first time Sunday and it definitely hovers a lot more stable when idled up but a touch of the collective and it'll shoot up 30 feet ! I'm going to stick to regular mode for awhile as my backyard is a little small to be doing any big /fast manuvers . Here is a small video of the 3rd time I ever flew the heli . A friend suggested I take the training gear off and it did fly a lot more stable without it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnKU5keH3q8

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Jakecd7

Ok I thought it might be an outrunner motor as I have read many articles regards to types of motors and looking at the outrunner designs they are small compact and all seems to not require heat sink. with my question before w/no heat sink how is the motor temp wise after a flight or two? specially during normal mode. according to some comments on the forum it stays cooler during idle up. Have you had any problems with the motor?

Thanks for replying
JL
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Jakecd7

Your video looks good heli looks stable I'd would have rather hear the motor running than the music but i understand. By the way can you give me some of the links to some of the sites you did your research from regards to the motor. I'm curious to look through them myself.

Thanks
JL
Old 05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
tsteege

Hey DarkSide41,

The video looks great. You are doing very good.

What upgrades have you put on your bird if any?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 AM
tsteege

Sorry to take so long in responding but I am getting caughtup in this forum.

I have had mine inverted quite a bit now, but it has become my practice heli as I upgraded to a T-Rex 600.

I suggest that you keep altitude when doing any type of 3D. Mine is holding up very well, my crashes have been about 98% pilot error with the percentage of problems, Hobby Lobby has taken care of me very well, and I totally reccomend them due to their customer service.

I did upgrade all the parts I could to metal, as well as switched to a Futuba 7CAP radio/system. It was a pain getting everything to work, but I love it now. I also have been able to find carbon rotors, paddles, and tail rotors, which made a big difference. I am looking into converting the tail to a belt drive, but not sure if I want to sink the money into it just yet.

As for the wind thing, I totally understand being I live in Wyoming. The falcon is pretty good up to about 10 mph wind but then I go to my work and fly it inside our warehouse which is big enough to go 3D with my falcon not the T-rex.

Anyway just my $.02 on the falcon's 3D ability.

Terry

ORIGINAL: Carbsumer

While on the topic of mechanical failures: is anyone actually doing 3D with the Falcon? I see dozens of Falcon 3D videos on YouTube, but they all are simple hovering, and most of them still have the training gear on. The one exception is the promotional video on Hobby-Lobby.

Because of the never-ending wind I have been confined to practicing hovering indoors, but I am comfortable doing rolls and flips and some inverted hovering in RealFlight. Once the wind dies down, I plan to try these moves out with the Falcon, but I feel like it is going to fall apart under the extra strain (because it keeps breaking during hovering). If you are doing 3D, how is it holding up?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Dzaken2800

How can tell that I'm not discharging the Lipo Battery on my Falcon 3D too much? I don't have a volt meter so I can't tell by that, but is there a way I can know when to stop flying when I'm in the middle of the air so I don't discharge the battery too much?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Carbsumer

ORIGINAL: Dzaken2800

How can tell that I'm not discharging the Lipo Battery on my Falcon 3D too much? I don't have a volt meter so I can't tell by that, but is there a way I can know when to stop flying when I'm in the middle of the air so I don't discharge the battery too much?
It really should have a lipo alarm, but I always just fly until I start needing to increase the power to stay afloat. As the battery runs out, power drops over say a 5-10 second period, and the heli settles nicely to the ground (assuming you're not inverted).

The ESC should cut power completely before it would get to a dangerous level, so no worries about the battery.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Dzaken2800

ORIGINAL: Carbsumer

It really should have a lipo alarm, but I always just fly until I start needing to increase the power to stay afloat. As the battery runs out, power drops over say a 5-10 second period, and the heli settles nicely to the ground (assuming you're not inverted).

The ESC should cut power completely before it would get to a dangerous level, so no worries about the battery.
OK, now I'm not worried anymore . Thanks a lot for your help Carbsumer
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 AM
helichuck

Has anyone found the Stanley 92-211 toolbox anywhere in the states??

If not is anyone using anything else for a case, or found a cheap place to buy cases.

Also, do the Align 315mm blades work on the Falcon??

Thanks,
Chuck

Also the link to the PDF manual file does not seem to work for some reason, maybe it is just from this computer here at work.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:01 AM
DarkSide41

Ok I thought it might be an outrunner motor as I have read many articles regards to types of motors and looking at the outrunner designs they are small compact and all seems to not require heat sink. with my question before w/no heat sink how is the motor temp wise after a flight or two? specially during normal mode. according to some comments on the forum it stays cooler during idle up. Have you had any problems with the motor?

Thanks for replying
JL

I put my fingers on the motor after my longest substained flight , @ 7 minutes of mixed hover and slow forward flight around the backyard and it did not seem hot to me , just warm to the touch .

Your video looks good heli looks stable I'd would have rather hear the motor running than the music but i understand. By the way can you give me some of the links to some of the sites you did your research from regards to the motor. I'm curious to look through them myself.

Thanks
JL
Yeah the mic on that little digital camera is siliconed over since I use it primarily on my R6 at the track . It's covered to keep the wind noise down so it doesn't pick up very faint sounds . As far as the motor I just Googled for brushless motors and it looks like the ones that come up as "outrunner designs" . That's about as far as my knowledge of RC motors goes

ORIGINAL: tsteege

Hey DarkSide41,

The video looks great. You are doing very good.

What upgrades have you put on your bird if any?

None . Right out of the box for me until I get hovering down and most of my crashes out of the way

Old 05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
quickster47

For some reason I think they found the Stanely tool box on EBay.

315 blades work quite well on the Falcon. You actually get a little more life with those blades as compared to the OEM 300mm blades.

Carl

ORIGINAL: helichuck

If not is anyone using anything else for a case, or found a cheap place to buy cases.

Thanks,
Chuck

Also the link to the PDF manual file does not seem to work for some reason, maybe it is just from this computer here at work.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
xplorur

Hello all
I use this alarm
www.tjtrc.com/LiPoV2.html

Question,, how do you guys control the sticks on the TX? I have been using my thumbs only, I notice people use thumb and index finger at the same time too, what way do you think is best?
I am controlling the falcon pretty well these days the upgraded Futaba 401 gyro made a big difference for me. been hovering regularly around 4 to 5 foot. IM not sure enough yet with it to go higher and MAN when the wind catches it, up she goes and so does my heart.
any way, I am still in the game
Peace
X

Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM
critterz

Hello everyone!

New here and new to Heli but want to give it a go. Have 3+ years with RC Cars(gas/electric).

I've been trying my luck with sims, have read some of the posts here and elsewhere on the web. I feel I want to get a Falcon 3D.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should get one? I'm sort of weary of Ebay but may have to result to it.

Thanks in advance and WOW what a great hobby you guys have!!

Critterz
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
xplorur

I got mine on ebay, do your self a big favor at get yours from Hobby lobby, it will be worth the extra dollars in the long run.
Peace
X

ORIGINAL: critterz

Hello everyone!

New here and new to Heli but want to give it a go. Have 3+ years with RC Cars(gas/electric).

I've been trying my luck with sims, have read some of the posts here and elsewhere on the web. I feel I want to get a Falcon 3D.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should get one? I'm sort of weary of Ebay but may have to result to it.

Thanks in advance and WOW what a great hobby you guys have!!

Critterz
Old 05-16-2007, 04:46 PM
dcg9381

Welcome, Critterz...

I wouldn't perscribe that you own a Falcon as a first heli.. Maybe a Blade CX or Fixed pitch heli, if you're feeling ambitious... Then again, if you're determined to have a go with it.
I had 3+ years in 3d aircraft and it took me weeks to get to the point where I could hover a collective pitch heli.

I bought a used Falcon from ebay seller had 100% feedback, said it had just been "test hovered". Came missing a few items that were advertised, and somewhat misassembled.
Hobby-lobby is the #1 best reputation seller out there. If you want a seller that's going to stand behind what they sell, go to hobby-lobby. There are some indications that there are a few dud Falcons out there, which is going to be true of most RTF moderate cost birds.

Outside of hobby-lobby, it's a bit of a gamble. There are lower cost helis you can buy ($230-$250) and get them shipped here. Good luck with out of the box support. There are also "new" sales on ebay which are usually the same groups of importers. If you buy from an importer / overseas source, pay careful attention to which battery pack they're sending and ask if they've replaced/removed any of the original electronics.

Depends on your how much you weigh customer support / risk / and total cost.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 PM
critterz

Thanks xplorur for your comments!

dcg9381, I have been bitten by the heli bug and I just can't stop!! But seriously, I thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.

I am ambitious and I love the challenge(BIG challenge). My thoughts in regards to this product was, I can't get anything in this price range for all the "ups" that the Falcon offers. I don't want to buy another plane and then later(some time later) buy a falcon or similar. From what I've been reading, this is a pretty well build "R2R" or fly out of the box and the price is pretty good for what you get.

I don't plan to do much with it now other than try to get an understanding of the heli and the remote. Maybe try to hover as my first steps.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 PM
twosted

I just purchased one on Ebay. $225 plus $50 shipping. Here is the listing, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/Falcon-3D-6-Channel-Aerobatic-R-C-Helicopter-NEW_W0QQitemZ230126966782QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2563QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 PM
ct420

ORIGINAL: twosted

I just purchased one on Ebay. $225 plus $50 shipping. Here is the listing, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/Falcon-3D-6-Channel-Aerobatic-R-C-Helicopter-NEW_W0QQitemZ230126966782QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2563QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]

Wow! 225 + 50 shipping =275 with a 3 day and then you're screwed warranty??? I wish you luck [&o]
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Carbsumer

ORIGINAL: twosted

Don't use those carbon blades--buy some woodies:

http://www.ka-planes.com/helicopters__2_?start=15

Supposedly the carbon blades will rip your heli apart in an accident. The woodies will break and absorb a lot of the impact.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 AM
helichuck

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 AM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Never found the stanley case, but I have a Kobalt utility box I got at Lowes for under $30 that fits the 400 size helis very well. There are pics in the thread earlier back.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Here's a link to some pictures of the box I have.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...544&key=kobalt

Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 AM
juneebear

I hope this helps. Try going to Home Depot. There is one tool box there that would fit the Falcon. The lenght is about 27 - 27 1/2 inches and 12 inches in depth which will fit the foam of the falcon perfectly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.