Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

need help with heli choice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

need help with heli choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:48 AM
nikolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with heli choice

I am going to have major surgery on my shoulder in a few days and will be stuck in the house for 2 months. I figured now would be a great time to try a indoor micro heli. I fly fixed wing sailplanes, but no heli experience. Whats best, 2, 3, 4 channel and why? Want cheap leaner to pass the time. Thanks Mike
Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Kevinator9

Default RE: need help with heli choice

2 channel can go up/down (throttle) and spin left/right (yaw/rudder). 3 channel can also go fowards/backs (elevator) and the most versitile is 4 channel which can go up/down, spin left/right, move forwards/backwards, move left/right. If you want to move up and get better at heli's probably better to get a 4 channel. I had a Walkera Dragonfly 4. Not the best 4ch heli around but did the trick for a few months. There are other helis exactly the same as the df4 like the gws dragonfly, the venom air corps nightranger and the esky honeybee. Some of these have better electronics than others. Walkera don't make very good servo's (in my opinion) so I would go with something different.
examples:
2ch
[link=http://www.raidentech.com/newgrsyrarec.html]SYMA dragonfly[/link]

3ch
[link=http://www.raidentech.com/aldoblhe3rcm.html]Wild Wheels Mini Electric Helicopter 2005[/link]

4ch
[link=http://www.raidentech.com/reracortfdr4.html]Falcon 40 (says: AKA Walkera dragonfly 4)[/link]
Old 09-22-2006, 02:14 AM
nikolai

Kevinator9, thanks for the qreat info. I'll check into the ones you named. Mike
Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Kevinator9

Just edited the post...
Old 09-22-2006, 05:33 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
In addition to the good info above, consider these models.

Picco Z from Radio Shack. (2 channel) $30 and Way fun. Not very functional, but figure 8's above your kitchen table is a hoot.
Here is a [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iilE2omv1s]video on youtube[/link] of the Picco Z. This is not going to provide weeks of entertainment, but it is an easy win.

Blade CX <$200 counter rotating blades and 4 channel. Incredibly steady and stable. MUCH easier to fly than a traditional single rotor heli.

Hirobo XRB Lama ~$300 also counter rotating rotors, but with foam blades.

Vince
Old 09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
rsiaviation

another thought would be the esky lama V3. It is a four channel helicoter and can be bought for $100. It is very well built and is tough. You can buy it at hobby-lobby.com or google it.

Rsiaviation
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
nikolai

Thanks guy, decided to purchase the esky lama V3. For the price it looks grand. Mike
Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM
rjday100

They have PICCO Z at Radio Shack?
ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

Mike,
In addition to the good info above, consider these models.

Picco Z from Radio Shack. (2 channel) $30 and Way fun. Not very functional, but figure 8's above your kitchen table is a hoot.
Here is a [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iilE2omv1s]video on youtube[/link] of the Picco Z. This is not going to provide weeks of entertainment, but it is an easy win.

Blade CX <$200 counter rotating blades and 4 channel. Incredibly steady and stable. MUCH easier to fly than a traditional single rotor heli.

Hirobo XRB Lama ~$300 also counter rotating rotors, but with foam blades.

Vince
Old 09-22-2006, 08:54 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rjday100
They have PICCO Z at Radio Shack?
Yup! I went to my local RS who was out, but they looked up the stock number on their system, and gave me 3 other area stores that had them.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 AM
toolboxII

Hey Mike I may be a lil late getting to you but I reccomend the night ranger II for the perfect heli trainer
comes ready to go right out of the box for around $150 its a steal I got one and never llooked back
I have ordered a nite ranger 3d now I was so impressed.

I like to get a package thats ready to fly out of the box and thats your best shot . Go for it man !
Happy flying..ToolboxII