Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Electric heli recomendation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Electric heli recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM
porscheaddiction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric heli recomendation

HI there I have a an old Kyosho Concept EP SR (collective pitch) heli that I got many years ago and do to finances have never flown it. I have the bug again and Im rather disapointed that one cant find parts anymore for it. Yet the Ikarus ECO8 is still around parts are still available and both machines are roughly the same in age. obviously I dont think I can learn on the concept do to parts non-availability. Example try to find wooden blades that will fit a concept ep.
So here I am looking at possbibly purchasing a new machine that one can get parts for.
So what electric would be recomended as a 2nd 1st heli to learn on? I do have AFP flight sim to reaquaint the skills needed to fly heli.
I mentioned the ECO8 as its been around for a very long time and longevity of a product is important.
Or do you think I should just attempt to learn on the concept EP? if thats the route where on earth can one purchase Wooden blades of the odd 395mm length?
Thanks
Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric heli recomendation

The T-Rex is probably the most popular, and it has a huge supply chain of replacement parts.
Go with a newer design.
Vince
Old 09-23-2006, 02:01 AM
sonofsam

The Falcon 3D also looks like a nice and inexpensive heli. If you've never flown before, I'd go with a less expensive helicopter than a TRex.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:47 AM
brit_bulldog

Hi,

Shame you cant get spares for your heli but it must be many years old now i was wondering how old it is?

FYI Kyosho are just releasing The Caliber 3 ARTF.

It has fixed main head assembly making it an ideal choice for a beginner and includes 30 size engine at very competitive price.
If you cant get the blades you need this may be a cheap way of getting you airborne.

In ten years time when spares are hard to source you should be ready to upgrade to a 3d model

FYI i learned a lot about helis from flying small cheap electric helis it has improved my hand to eye and perception no end and as i can fly in my garden i can practice every night!!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Elgreco3

Well, I was in the same situation.
Used to have a used Nexus 30 which after a while sold it back on ebay due to lack of time.
About a year ago I got the Heli fever again and decided to practice on a cheaper Heli first before I moved to a gas.
So I went ahead and bought the Century Humminbird.
It was amazing ! Learned to fly on it and hover comfortably, and this thing was practically undestructible !!.
The amount of crashes I had were numerous.
Anyway, it got to a point where it was beyond repair, and I let it go. But believe me, it did what it was ment to do which was teach me the basics, and it lasted while I was in the process.

Next, a few months ago I purchased the Walkera #36 dragonfly, a much more advanced Heli than the Humminbird which simulates the biger Helis better with 4 servo's and a 6 channel radio.
I was amazed all over again to the point that I have bought a proper lipo charger and spent so far the heli's value over again in upgrades.
This is my current Heli which I fly and practice and here in Montreal it's perfect because I can fly it indoors when the weather sucks.

Now that I know better, I would consider the T-rex because it is better built and more popular.
I also own a brand new Hawk 30 gas Heli which is waiting to be built.

Electrics offer you a smaller size and are perfect to practise with, especially indoors too, which is why although I prefer bigger and gas, I have spent time and money on electrics, because I don't have the time to always go to a club to fly the gas Heli.
But remember that electrics cost, and in order to fly properly you will have to spend money in chargers and batteries.
Stock batteries on walkera and trex and generally all 400 size electrics won't cut it. Be prepared to spend money.

The Humminbird, is fine out of the box the way Century offers it and you wil not need to spend money further usually.
I am not familiar with the blade series Helis, but if I am not mistaken, these are dual rotor helis with no tail ruddrer. I am not crazy about that, I prefer more realistic Helis.

So dependind on your budget, I hope I gave you some pointers.
1- Humminbird
2- Walkera 36 or bigger
3 T-rex

But what ever you decide, stick with a heli that is popular and has support. All of the above do.

P.S. Now that I have already spent the money for the charger (One time purchase) I am considering eventually to purchase a bigger electric like the T-rex 600 (50 size )
Initial cost is more expensive but once you get what you need , that's it.
They are also less messy than the gas (less cleaning )
But for now I have a Hawk that's been waiting to be built during winter time.

If you need any other info PM me.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:08 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

T-rex 600!

That is of course if you want a bigger e-heli. Otherwise the T-rex 450 .
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
porscheaddiction

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. Its appreciated.
Chris.