Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:35 PM
starcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Here are some pics of the Raptor G2 with the Elign 430BL and 35 Amp ESC upgrade. Now it fly's!!! Also bought the MX400 as a backup till my T-Rex 600 gets here Monday. The raptor has plenty of power to spare it lifts off at 1/2 throttle and the PLT at 1:00 o'clock position. It really more stable with the higher rotor speed and I installed a 12 tooth pinion and have a 14 tooth I'll try next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50849.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	565038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98602.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	565039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93645.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	565040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39778.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	565041  
Old 11-23-2006, 12:17 AM
nuzz

Default RE: The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Tell me is the raptor G2 ment to fly as stock or have we all been taken to the cleaners! mine don,t fly
Old 11-23-2006, 12:42 AM
starcop

Yep! It will work in the stock form if you change the pinion gear. About 4 bucks. But it will fly for about 4 minutes. Mine works great now 106.00 bucks later. It B.S that they don't work out of the box. Dang china man no make fly.....
Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
nuzz

thanks If i update to a brushless motor and esc will my ni-mh work? i bought 4 with the raptor and also i bough a extra stock motor witch happend to be a walkera 36 and it flys. but im thinken brushless: what do you think?
Old 11-23-2006, 05:38 PM
starcop

Hi nuzz, You will have to use a li-po, Mine is a 11.1V 1320 mah with added weight to balance the helicopter. Check out the pics I made a trainer gear out of small plastic bowling balls and fiber-glass tube from a kite I bought for 6.00 at costco. The plastic ball were 2.00. I flew my heli today in my garage first time by myself. The upgrades I put into mine make it fly really good! You will be happy once you do the upgrades it's well worth it. They are really stable with training gear just make sure it's well balanced. I had mine hovering in the garage for about 15 minutes with a charged li-po. Find a li-po with a higher mah about 2100 you will get long training time flights. Let me know how yours is going when you fly it. If your new to heli's, like me; don't even attempt to fly this thing without some type of long training gear. I guarantee you will lose it!!! have a good one., starcop Oops! 15 Seconds!!! I'm not that good yet! I guess I got a little excited.

Name:	Li21095.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	565568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71748.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	565569  
Old 11-24-2006, 05:41 PM
nuzz

Got the same motor battery as you today not sure of the pinion size thay gave me a 48pitch 12 tooth is the pitch the right one?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
starcop

Mine has no pitch to it I'll post a picture of it. The pitch I think is okay though it might run hotter. I used a 3.1mm nickel plated straight gear. They use them on R/C cars. Works great seems alot smoother also. Note Beef up the battery tray before it breaks! One small bounce on the ground with the li-po battery the tray cracks off! I made a flat piece of plastic and drilled for screws on top of the tray. let me know how she flys.

Name:	Kh17699.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	566108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58225.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	566109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99720.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	566110  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
nishim

Hi starcop .. I've joined the Raptor G2 bandwagon too ..i've just ordered it ..should be with me in about 4-5 days . I must say you've been doing some really decent posts in regards to raptor G2 . I've got some doubts regarding the pinion gear torque rating and the motor ..whats the connecting factor here ? How do i calculate the toal powe requirements of an RC heli (be it any ?) and order the correct Lipo battery ....Pls enlighten us !! LOL
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
starcop

Lol, Power to what ratio? Well lets see E-2, =1 % 17^ less the motor size should be around 64% power to Li-po ratio. So an 11.1 V 3 cell li-po should give it 96% of the E-2 -0% of 17^. Hope that helps! lol.....I post the new T-Rex 600 Friday!!! W8ting on FedX~~~~~~
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
starcop

WHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Whaaaaa! I broke my helicopter last night!!! I was inverted doing tick tocks in my garage when all of a sudden a box jump out and hit my tail rotors...................Actually I was learning to hover and backed it into a box!!! Dangit!. Parts will be here Friday. Yeah; to much snow on the ground to fly outside. Suxs having to fly in the garage of all places to learn. Well here's another pic.

Name:	Ge94997.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	568538  
Old 11-29-2006, 08:09 AM
nishim

I think i got that ...............LOL .. Thanx anyway
Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
starcop

Hello nishim, I didn't quit understand your post about the power ratio, sorry I don't know that much as far as calculating power to rotor size, battery size should be 11.1 v li-po 2100 or better mah. (Milli amp hour). The higher the mah the longer battery life for flying; you probably knew that. If I can answer any other questions fellow G2 owners let me know. Fly safe; keep it upright...!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:36 AM
nishim

Hi Starcop ..not probs its ok.....u see i've been doing some research on rotor dynamics ...err....just wanted to know whats the real stuff that makes these machines fly ...i should be able to post some interesting stuff soon ...dont worry it wont be boring ..trust me ....so simple formulae and calaculations that can really make a big difference . I happened to meet a french guy who's a real heli-pilot here in Dubai . He's got some brilliant models ..he's the kinda guy who flies the Chinkook ones (the twin rotor ones) . I'm meeting him this evening if possible ....surely i do hope our converation could provide me something interesting to post and share it with you guys...............
Old 12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
starcop

Hi all, well I fly my heli today for the first time! Here's the scoop, I started out in the school play ground; wished I brought my video camera, I started with a hover oh around 5 feet I started a slight spin so I corrected then increased the throttle then started flying forward toward the school building around 15 feet, corrected the pitch backward spun it around and headed towards the play-ground with about 6 inches of snow on the ground then I lost my bearings with the control so I throttled down slightly; re-gained control but was heading for a big light post. Well after freezing watching my heli miss the post I just cleared the 5 foot fence, bouncing off the top pole on my training gear and landed on the football field running path. No broken parts! What a blast these heli's are to fly I'm hooked. My friend got to watch the whole thing and said I did pretty good my first time. The flight lasted for about 5 minutes I had control most of the time until the nose was pointing at me. Well back to the sim I need to work on reverse control. I broke my skid on the second flight ordered 2 more for back-up. I was able to hover for about 8 minutes within a 20 foot parking lot, pretty stable flyers these Raptor G2's. The 14 tooth pinion really gets the rotors turning so it flys very stable. I give it a (B-) flight and an A+ fun factor. With a good radio system this heli would be outstanding. Well take care all keep it up-right.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:27 PM
nishim

unbelievable ...starcop!!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:12 PM
starcop

Dang I want to fly today but too cold and don't want to land in the snow again. Last time it got the ESC wet had to wipe and blow it all dry. It was a cool first flight! I worked on FMS last night I think I'm ready for number 3 flight. I zipe tied the broken skid seems like it will hold. The cold weather is hard on the hands, gloves get in the way. Well how is everyone eles doing as far as flight goes? Later...Here are the pics you can see the repair who knows you may have to do the same thing sometime.

Name:	Ge95123.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	571173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16779.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	571174  
Old 12-06-2006, 03:56 PM
imnew4321

Does any one know what the anti fall ability is and the flameout function
Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 PM
starcop

The anti fall ability is when you attach a large helium ballon to the center rotor shaft with a fishing spinner to the helicopter and fly. The ballon will keep the helicopter from hitting the ground!.........................Kidding.

Anti fall the ability- It means an average person with mid level skills can repair, fly, etc. It doesn't mean any anti fall from the sky or equiped with a safety device or patented man made design. Just means most won't fail or need to be a professional heli pilot to build and fly. That's my 2 cents worth, I looked everyware for the meaning.

They also state that the helicopter has a clutch system that allows the rotors to keep auto gyrating while decent; if the power should fail. Then you can apply some pitch just before landing (to slow the helicopter); as not to cause as much damage due to a power loss.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM
imnew4321

thanks for the answer, i didnt want to see if it really would not fall, lolthanks again
Old 12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
helifan06

Hello,

I just got a Raptor G2. It is very kewl. I had installed a training kit, and practice with little steps. I didn't go up to more than 1 feet, because I still practicing hovering. I haven't have any crash, as soon I lost control, I bring the throttle down. Suddenly one day, I put the heli, and doesn't even go up to 1 inch of the floor. Even with full throtle.

I did charge the battery, and all controls are responding. I'm thinking that the battery that came with the heli burned out and doesn't give me much current as before, or the motor just died and doesn't give that much power. Other thing is that I have notice that now the heli is not very stable, the tail keeps shaking back and forth.

Please help! Thanks in advance,

helifan06
Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 AM
helifan06

Hello,

Here I update what I had posted on 12/11/06 regarding to my Raptor G2 problem. It seems that the tail is estable when the battery is well charged. I put the heli to a fix low throttle, just enough throttle so it won't take off. I did see that the speed of the main blade changes; sometimes go faster and sometimes slower, this by listening how it spins. By the way, I have a brushed motor with my Raptor, does the carbon burned out and doesn't have good contact? or my battery is really bad. I've heard that Raptor G2 is the same as Walkera #36, and in other forums; I've heard many people had problems with it. Should I upgrade my Raptor to a brushless motor with an ESC? The optional part that comes in Exceed.com is called Actiyator; is that also an ESC??

Thanks,

helifan06
Old 12-12-2006, 05:58 PM
starcop

Hello helifan06, Yes you should upgrade your Raptor G2. With the brushless motor and Electronic speed control (ESC)-(Actiyator) it fly's very well and seems to be more stable with the type of RX that come's with the heli. The faster rotor speed really helps new pilots. The upgrades on mine were night and day. I'm totaly new to heli's and I flew mine a couple times without wrecking it. Start slow and make sure you have plenty of practise on a flight sim and You should be fine. They're pretty fast but try not to get intimidated and keep it around 10 to 20 feet off the ground fly circles at first, then lower the throttle and it has a pretty slow decent, the auto gyro effect. Make sure you have plenty of room! Well good luck if you have any other questions I'll try to help. starcop. PS: You will want a new battery also. My stock battery lasts about 1 minute. Try a Li-Po 11.1 V 2100 mah. If you need photos of the installation let me know.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:44 PM
starcop

Hello again, My Raptor is ready to go once again. I replaced the Frame due to a crash, I also made a battery plate that fits in wear the battery goes I've had to drop the throttle fast when I'm close to hitting something and found that the weight of the Li-po battery will crack the stock frame if your not careful. I also had to replace the rotor shaft, rotors and tail blade mounts. She is ready to fly! For those of you who have the Raptor G2 do the upgrades and you'll dig this heli. I also now can fly inverted; though I haven't done so in real life situations. I found that I had to adjust the push bar, that thin bar between the rotor shaft. I hold the heli in my hand and had my wife work the controls to verify that it would work. It has tons of pull with the align motor. I ordered the motor they offer as an upgrade it should be here this week, I'll post a pic and let you know how it works. I'm going to use the align motor in my MX400. I'm also building the T-Rex 600, I have the frame and rotor head almost completed. Here are some pics...

Name:	Fd90977.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	576233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33485.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	576234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68844.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	576235  
Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 PM
starcop

Hi again, again, again, anyone flying their Raptor? I actually flew mine without wrecking it! Dang that things cool to fly, now that I adjusted the push rod it pops straight up fast. Now it flys much smother with less throttle I'm figuring this heli stuff out although it's alot harder then flying war-birds; cheaper to repair also. Here are some pics of my T-Rex 600, I work on it a little each night. Well let me know if anyones having any luck with their Raptor.

I had to add a pic of my Pico Z I bought this mini at Toys R Us months ago, now everyone has one. $29.99 if you can find one.

Name:	Qn38548.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	576806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59049.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	576807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46404.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	576808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97620.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	576809  
Old 12-15-2006, 04:37 PM
helifan06

Hello starcop,

Now my Raptor doesn't even spin. I contacted the vendor and they said I have to charge my stock battery (NiMh) for 8 hours and 4 hours thereafter. But it get so hot only in the first hour, so I decided not to charge it further following the recomendations that came with the battery. I brought my heli to a hobby shop, first they were reluctant to help, because I didn't purchase the heli from them, and they made fun of how I placed the tranining kit. Well anyway, they told me my receiver is bad, and should get a new heli from them, hmm, 4channel heli for $200?? I will try to fix my Raptor before buying another one. Strange thing is that all the servos are working, I'm wondering if it is the control to the motor.

I'm suspecting the motor burned out, or my battery doesn't supply enough current. I unplugged the motor and measured the output voltage from the receiver while changing the throttle, there's voltage comming out of the receiver, and changes from 12V to 0 depending on the throttle. Well, only thing is there's no load (motor) so it is hard to tell.

I bought extra battery and motor just to verify this theory, well, anyway the receiver will cost more and I don't know how to install the crystals or if there is any kind of calibration involved with the transmitter after I reintall everything.

Thanks for advice in Flight Simulator, I got the RF G3, every kewl. And I practice tons of hours with the heli trainer. There's a LiPo battery that is 10x3x3?? that is 11.1V 2100mAh 15C, that one doesn't fit in the heli. I saw you got a brushless Align motor in one of your pictures, will be ok to get the Walkera #36 brushless motor and ESC? Did you change the tail set with metal ones?

This hobby is the best!!

Thanks for your help.

helifan06

ps/ fly safe, peace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.